elpe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I've been really struggling with A lvl choices and I can't decide whether to do further maths... I'm thinking about going into a physics related career in higher education. Would it really help my uni application to have it??
Afrrcyn
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
What Uni you thinking about?
username4657018
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If you're going into physics, you need to take maths and physics, so that's two down already.

As for your 3rd A-Level you could probably do anything, but Chemistry or Further Maths would probably be good choices
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by elpe)
I've been really struggling with A lvl choices and I can't decide whether to do further maths... I'm thinking about going into a physics related career in higher education. Would it really help my uni application to have it??
I'd start it as a 4th option. You can always drop it or just do AS.
ranimukerji
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by elpe)
Maths, Further Maths and Physics seem like a good combo.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Further maths would be a very sensible choice for physics. Physics degrees are very heavily mathematical.

It may not directly help your university application but you'll get a headstart in the mathematical content of your degree and will be overall better prepared. A lot of the pure part of FM is very applicable to physics. (DEs, complex numbers, matrices, etc.)
elpe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Afrrcyn)
What Uni you thinking about?
Probably Cambridge if I do well... I'm not sure yet
#
elpe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
I'd start it as a 4th option. You can always drop it or just do AS.
(Original post by finlay291202)
If you're going into physics, you need to take maths and physics, so that's two down already.

As for your 3rd A-Level you could probably do anything, but Chemistry or Further Maths would probably be good choices
Thank you
Zainaba luul
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by elpe)
For most physics related courses, further maths isn’t required but it is helpful to have it. From what I’ve gathered - I’m in yr 13 and want to study physics at uni - most people I’ve spoken to say it isn’t necessary however not having it means that first year of uni will require you to do some catching up. I’m not in uni yet so don’t take what I say as hard facts, I’m just relaying information that I’ve been told when asking people who are already in uni.
elpe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zainaba luul)
For most physics related courses, further maths isn’t required but it is helpful to have it. From what I’ve gathered - I’m in yr 13 and want to study physics at uni - most people I’ve spoken to say it isn’t necessary however not having it means that first year of uni will require you to do some catching up. I’m not in uni yet so don’t take what I say as hard facts, I’m just relaying information that I’ve been told when asking people who are already in uni.
Thanks! are you doing further maths yourself??
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by elpe)
Thank you
Note that Cambridge don't offer a Physics degree ...
Zainaba luul
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by elpe)
Thanks! are you doing further maths yourself??
No, I opted to do Chemistry at the start of sixth form instead of further maths - I regret that choice because I’ve always hated chem even when I did GCSEs, I have no idea why I picked it for a levels. I do physics, maths and chemistry.
Incede
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by elpe)
If you want to study physics at Oxbridge then having further maths will help for both your application and when you start the course. Whilst not a requirement if you don't take it you would be significantly harming your chances. You should definitely take it.
hootdoot04
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
What’s the difference between a level maths and further maths?
username4657018
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by hootdoot04)
What’s the difference between a level maths and further maths?
The clue is in the name, Further maths is maths at a more advanced level
cleveranimal56
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'm going to do further math alongside math. Our school does it so that we finish the whole A-level math course in year 12, then start on further math. If you're good at math, I don't see why you shouldn't do it!
hootdoot04
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by finlay291202)
The clue is in the name, Further maths is maths at a more advanced level
Fair enough
elpe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Incede)
If you want to study physics at Oxbridge then having further maths will help for both your application and when you start the course. Whilst not a requirement if you don't take it you would be significantly harming your chances. You should definitely take it.
Thanks for the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads