Rejections from elsewhere Watch

This discussion is closed.
brunswick
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Just thought it would be interesting to know who has recieved an offer from Cambridge but rejections from elsewhere, as I seem to be the only one!
ponjavic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'll bet a lot of law/economics will have a place at cambridge but rejections elsewhere since LSE and Warick and others are truly oversubscribed for these courses...
CamSPSer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Rejected at LSE, 6 places 150 applicants last year. last year was rejected by warwick and york (who decided to give me an offer this year)
virtualchaos
Report 14 years ago
Rejected by Durham for History, but got offer from Cambridge.
JaF
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was rejected*last year by Loughbrough for Engineering but fortunately for me Cambridge loved me long time.

* Well actually I sent them a polite letter asking them to reject me because I had an offer from my two first choice universities and they were slowing down the progress of my ucas form. Anyway two days after I sent this letter I was rejected - maybe it was because I asked them to but maybe they just didn't think I was good enough.
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A friend of mine got rejected from *all* her choices with the exception of Cambridge - the Only Uni to give her an offer. There is something to be said for interviews!
parallelduck
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bumblebee3)
A friend of mine got rejected from *all* her choices with the exception of Cambridge - the Only Uni to give her an offer. There is something to be said for interviews!
Wow, that must have been really nerveracking for her! What did she apply for?
JaF
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by parallelduck)
I'm guessing Medicine or Vet Med.
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by parallelduck)
Economics I think. She's international so it could have been something to do with that? Happy ending at least.
Ticki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
3 girls in my year applied to read History at Cambridge (this is 2 years ago now). We all had virtually identical grades and extra curricular activities. We all did similar A-levels. Here's how we fared:

1) Cam - AAB, Warwick - ABB
2) Cam - AAB, Warwick - AAB, Bristol - rejected
3) Cam - pooled, then AAB, Warwick - rejected, Bristol - EE

I've got no idea how Warwick and Bristol made their decisions. :rolleyes:
spurs123
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ponjavic)
I'll bet a lot of law/economics will have a place at cambridge but rejections elsewhere since LSE and Warick and others are truly oversubscribed for these courses...

At LSE for economics if u have a B at GCSE then u are rejected straight away ,... so i am told neway
snak3uk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I got rejected from Bristol for Classics, but got into Cam (hopefully) lol
Checking for Spies
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bumblebee3)
My Head of year told me about a pupil who applied last year with 5 A's predicted,he didn't get in ANYWHERE lol!
CamSPSer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by *alicia*)
My Head of year told me about a pupil who applied last year with 5 A's predicted,he didn't get in ANYWHERE lol!
happens every year now to some poor sod. i would imagine the odds of getting rejected from russell group + a few other universities are increasing every year and so this will become more and more of an occurance
goneaway56
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by zip it123)
At LSE for economics if u have a B at GCSE then u are rejected straight away ,... so i am told neway
Highly unlikely. If its something seriously important, like mathematics (because A at A Level is required), it will be an immediate rejection though. I have a C and am applying for law, and haven't been immediately rejected. Its in DT though. :rolleyes:
CamSPSer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lottelo)
Highly unlikely. If its something seriously important, like mathematics (because A at A Level is required), it will be an immediate rejection though. I have a C and am applying for law, and haven't been immediately rejected. Its in DT though. :rolleyes:
i have to agree, although LSE will have to put more emphasis oin GCSEs as they dont interview i dont think a B is the B alll and end all (excuse the awful pun) and if they do they are missing out on some damn good candidates. if its a B in maths or english then i can see why they might but in cooking or something then they wouldnt automatically reject
adampogonowski
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
offer from cambridge after pool and rejected from durham - to read law

havent heard anything offer or interview-wise off the other unis!
WM
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by brunswick)
Just thought it would be interesting to know who has recieved an offer from Cambridge but rejections from elsewhere, as I seem to be the only one!
well, if you get into cambridge it doesn't matter
hazzie1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by *alicia*)
poor guy, that is the ultimate nightmare. I got rejected from Durham for English and History.
JeremyG
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Got an offer from Cambridge (Churchill) for medicine,
Got rejected without interview by Newcastle,
Still waiting on BSMS,
Have an interview at Soton (I'm a mature student) on the 9th Feb,

Not sure whether I should go to the Soton interview or decline it. I'm confident of meeting my Cam offer, and I think it's unlikely Soton would give me a lower offer anyway. What do you think?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (697)
80.58%
Leave (168)
19.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed