The Student Room Group

Can I take A-Level Drama without having done the GCSE

i want to do drama at a level but my school doesn’t offer it as a gcse (i’m in y9 right now) and i’m can’t take any classes out of school due to personal reasons. I dont know whether i’m actually decent at acting or not since the last time i did a play was literally primary school so I’m worried that even if i get into the course at a level i’ll end up embarrassing myself due to having barely any experience but i really want to do it because the coursework seems interesting and i’ve always had an interest in old plays and shakespeare
i also want to do english lit and lang and maybe history at a level alongside drama.
so my question is whether i have a chance of getting into drama or not and that even if i did would i be good at it? and will getting 8/9 in gcse english help me with it? Thank youuuu
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Heyy i know at my school you have to do drama gcse to do a level drama, but if your school doesn't offer it at gcse i'm not sure how that'll work?! I'm sure you'd be great at it tho if you do choose to do it especially if your good at english, a few of my friends do it and you have to write essay style things like 1500 words long as the exam, and the practical acting bit looks fun too its a change from studyy studyy studyy u know..... your only in yr 9 too! ask your teachers drama teachers student support staff people like that and share your concerns they'll be able to help u better than me lol but i try....good luck... I hope u take it if u enjoy it!
It depends on the school that your planning on going to, some schools need you to have certain grades on particular subjects, this is strongly the case with english, maths and the sciences, but with drama it might not be as it's not a core subject.

The best way to find out is by checking the school's website or going along to an open day and you'll find out the requirements - at the school I'm at now there was a leaflet with all the info on their website and you could ask the teachers questions on open day.
Original post by atinny
Heyy i know at my school you have to do drama gcse to do a level drama, but if your school doesn't offer it at gcse i'm not sure how that'll work?! I'm sure you'd be great at it tho if you do choose to do it especially if your good at english, a few of my friends do it and you have to write essay style things like 1500 words long as the exam, and the practical acting bit looks fun too its a change from studyy studyy studyy u know..... your only in yr 9 too! ask your teachers drama teachers student support staff people like that and share your concerns they'll be able to help u better than me lol but i try....good luck... I hope u take it if u enjoy it!

thank you so much for the reply! my school doesn’t have a sixth form so i’m confused too but i’ll definitely try to ask someone who might know about it soon <3
Original post by TSRDavid
It depends on the school that your planning on going to, some schools need you to have certain grades on particular subjects, this is strongly the case with english, maths and the sciences, but with drama it might not be as it's not a core subject.

The best way to find out is by checking the school's website or going along to an open day and you'll find out the requirements - at the school I'm at now there was a leaflet with all the info on their website and you could ask the teachers questions on open day.

ty for the reply!! i’m probably going to do that

Quick Reply

Latest