The Student Room Group

a level chemistry help? (aqa)

i've been looking at some questions on NMR and one asks to "write a half-equation for the reduction of dichromate(VI) ions in acidic solution".

the mark scheme says that the eqn is:
6e- + 14H+ Cr2O7^2- --> 2Cr^3+ + 7H2O

how would i know that the dichromate ion is reduced to Cr^3+ without the question telling me in advanced?
Original post by kierab22
i've been looking at some questions on NMR and one asks to "write a half-equation for the reduction of dichromate(VI) ions in acidic solution".

how would i know that the dichromate ion is reduced to Cr^3+ without the question telling me in advanced?

Dichromate(VI) in acid is a common oxidising agent in organic chemistry. You are probably expected to know that it is used to oxidise alcohols to aldehydes/ketones and then to carboxylic acids (aldehydes)
Original post by kierab22

You have to just know it. Just like you need to know manganate ions are reduced to Mn2+ ions, and many others

Quick Reply

Latest