The Student Room Group

Unfair predicted grade

Hi everyone,

I am applying to university to study Geography (entry 2009) and I am predicted C grade in business studies however my other predicted grades are AA and in B As History which I just started. I feel that the predicted C is unfair as I got a solid B at As grade (229 UMS). I was the only person in the class to get above a D grade and yet the rest of the class are predicted C grades also :mad: . I am particularly annoyed at this prediction as I work very hard in business studies and am being told constantly that I am "the best in the class". :confused:

I asked my teacher to increase the grade to a B but he was sceptical about doing this. What can I do? I need to get AAB at A2 level for university.

Scroll to see replies

are you in a sixth form???
go see your head of year/ head of sixth form.
say your worried that your university appliations will be hindered if you dont get predicted a B which you technically deserve to be predicted anyway.
Trust your teacher will cave to a higher up!:biggrin:
Reply 2
I got really bad predicted grades : CDD I got ABB (I got the A in politics, which I had been predicted a D for)

Because I thought my grades were unfair I chose to apply a year later and take a gap year..

..which i am so glad I did
Reply 3
chr15chr15
are you in a sixth form???
go see your head of year/ head of sixth form.
say your worried that your university appliations will be hindered if you dont get predicted a B which you technically deserve to be predicted anyway.
Trust your teacher will cave to a higher up!:biggrin:

Yes I am in sixth form. I think that I will go and see the head of sixth form and then get her to have a word with my stupid business studies teacher untill he changes the grade.
Reply 4
thats an outrage!! go see your head of year asap!! at my college a lot of people get predicted a grade higher than their AS grade as well!!!
Maybe your teacher thinks you won't achieve a B at A level. They may be basing this on current level of work etc and it may indeed be a fair prediction. You could try and reassure your teacher that you are going to work as hard as you can to get at least a B, and ask again nicely if he/she could up the prediction cos you really need it for uni.
if you can't change anything get a parent involved as it does seem unfair
Reply 7
inksplodge
Maybe your teacher thinks you won't achieve a B at A level. They may be basing this on current level of work etc and it may indeed be a fair prediction. You could try and reassure your teacher that you are going to work as hard as you can to get at least a B, and ask again nicely if he/she could up the prediction cos you really need it for uni.

Well my teacher just marked the first part of my coursework and he said it was great. I said that I am going to work harder this year and he said "yeah I know you will you always do". thats why I was so shocked to find out I was predicted C grade
Reply 8
thats pretty unfair. Take it above your teacher. If he's blanket predicted, he'll be in trouble. He's supposed to look at each student individually.
Reply 9
Well to be honest, 229 isn't a really high B, and A2s are harder than ASs so there really is no guarantee of a B in your A2...
We're only predicted the same if we're in the top half of the grade band, and a grade higher if we're in the top quarter...or at least I think that's how it works. Your teacher might be being a bit harsh but in the end, if he likes you as much as he seems to (he tells you you're the best in the class) yet still predicts you lower, I'd take it seriously.

Take it as a challenge so you can say 'I told you so' if you do better :wink:
Reply 10
By the way I forgot to mention that my teacher said he based the predictions for the class on information from As predictions and A2 prediction from a computerised system called APLAS (or something like that). The thing is that this system predicted me CCD at As yet I achieved BBB.
Reply 11
sadie-kiki
Well to be honest, 229 isn't a really high B, and A2s are harder than ASs so there really is no guarantee of a B in your A2...
We're only predicted the same if we're in the top half of the grade band, and a grade higher if we're in the top quarter...or at least I think that's how it works. Your teacher might be being a bit harsh but in the end, if he likes you as much as he seems to (he tells you you're the best in the class) yet still predicts you lower, I'd take it seriously.

I was not saying that I got a high B but its not as if I got a really low B say 213 UMS
Reply 12
You're probably referring to the ALIS system, which isn't really very reliable.
Reply 13
aKarma
You're probably referring to the ALIS system, which isn't really very reliable.

Yes that's what I ment. I don't want to be predicted a bad grade based on ALIS to stop me from getting a offer from a good uni.:mad:
Reply 14
sadie-kiki

:erm: but 229 is quite a high B considering the boundaries for an A is 240.... has it changed? I think the OP should have at least been predicted a B or more. What your teacher is basically doing is committing you to underacheiving, so do not accept this grade. I come on TSR and hear ridiculous predictions all the tme, people get predicted AAA for BCC and the like, so I really feel you should fight your corner. good luck.
Reply 15
Dijobla
:erm: but 229 is quite a high B considering the boundaries for an A is 240.... has it changed? I think the OP should have at least been predicted a B or more. What your teacher is basically doing is committing you to underacheiving, so do not accept this grade. I come on TSR and hear ridiculous predictions all the tme, people get predicted AAA for BCC and the like, so I really feel you should fight your corner. good luck.

Thanks I am going to talk to one of my other teachers about it on tuesday afternoon. If that dose not work I will get my parents to phone the school. I refuse to accept this C grade :mad:
Reply 16
Dijobla

My original post was based on my bad mathematics - I thought for some strange reason that the bands were 20, not 30 ums. which is really daft of me tbh. considering it's 10% bands for each grade. :getmecoat:

As I said, take it as a challenge :wink:
Reply 17
rant

I got the same problem here. Why the **** do so many school use the ******* 'ALIS' sytem. EVERYONE I have spoken too says its an utter waste of time (apart from the teachers of course..) consistentely comming out with unfair grades. WTFis the point.

/rant
Reply 18
J400uk
rant

I got the same problem here. Why the **** do so many school use the ******* 'ALIS' sytem. EVERYONE I have spoken too says its an utter waste of time (apart from the teachers of course..) consistentely comming out with unfair grades. WTFis the point.

/rant

Thank you for agreeing. My Geography teacher and Geology said it’s stupid so they based their predictions on effort in class, how hard you work and As attainment est. It’s just my ******* business studies teacher who is to ******* lazy to predict all 7 people in the class results based on something other than ALIS :mad:
7 people? surely they should have got higher than D's? I mean that not much teacher sharing?

Latest

Trending

Trending