Turn on thread page Beta

Hey, basically I'm a 21year old guy with bad acne on my cheeks. It's really obvious and all I can see when I look in the mirror. Thing is I am quite good looking otherwise, yeah I know I'll get called arrogant for that but i am. And i've been told by girls before they'd have fancied me if it wasn't for the acne (not in so many words but as good as meaning that!). I just don't know what to do I take cod liver oil tablets every day, wash my face with tea tree oil but it's still there. I just want rid of it so i can be confident in myself as it really gets my down and i'm so aware of it when i'm talking to people and especially girls.

ReputationRep:
    Go to a doctor is my advice; they will probably prescribe panoxyl to start with which will improve things a lot after a couple of weeks...after that there are anti-biotics and of course roaccutane but I would avoid that if at all possible.

ReputationRep:
    mine gets me down too... I know i'm a girl so thetorically i could use make up to cover it up but you can still see the bumps and you have to use a lot of make up to hide the reddness.
    I went to my gp to get pills and cream and it still doesnt seem to have made any difference. I'm just hoping that one day soon it will go away.
    when ever i see people with perfectly flawless skin I get jealous espeacially when they are complaining about non exisitant spots. grrr

any way I know i havent really been of much help in this post but at least it shows your not alone.

Those girls seem really shallow to me.. acne on a guy wouldnt put me off..

ReputationRep:
    My advice is to go the doctors. I had mild acne and they prescribed me Zineryt, it totally cleared up the problem.

ReputationRep:
    If your acne is really REALLY bad then go to the doctor and get them to transfer you to a dermatologist, they'll be able to give you Roaccutane which is the only thing that really works, it worked for me. But because its so powerful they only prescribe it to the worst of cases.

Otherwise, if it bothers you a lot but its not awfully bad, then its probably a good idea to see a Doctor anyway so they can prescribe you something better than off-the-shelf remedies.

ReputationRep:
    Drink LOTS of water, it actually does help a bit.
    And go to the doctor and they'll prescribe you with something, give it a couple of months and if it hasn't done anything, go back and they'll prescribe you something stronger.

ReputationRep:
    Err...Clearasil?

[QUOTE=foldingstars]Drink LOTS of water, it actually does help a bit. QUOTE]

lies.... it actaully help loads :yep:

drink at least 6 pints of water a day (more if u exercise)! it helps to heal any acne scars aswell

ReputationRep:
    use freederm thingy

ReputationRep:
    I used to have acne and it used to really get me down

Drs can do more then you would probably think / realise. There are tablets, lotions, creams, oils - all sorts you can take or shove on your face to make it better

If it's gettin you down and all you can see in the mirror then I suggest you go to you GP and tell them exactly how it's making you feel.

Good luck OP

ReputationRep:
    i have some bad spots. Not sure what to do about it.
    I get a few bad ones like every week. Don't know if i should go to the doctor because i don't know if he would do anything about them

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend using a product called PanOxyl, its really good and gets rid of spots no problems. It has Benzoyl Peroxide in it which is great for getting rid of spots.

I went to the doctor with the same problem and got what is apparently a fairly new treatment, involving a gel once a day and a whack of antibiotics. It has really helped me, but I understand that some people may well have had the same thing to no avail. (I have expereinced this myself with Zineryt).

ReputationRep:
    just get the hell on roaccutane. You're 21, you can't go on with acne any longer. Roaccutane is the closest thing from a "cure" .

for me roaccutane was an absolute miracle, and my skin was HURRENDOUSLY bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IChem)
    Err...Clearasil?
    ... Just no. o_O

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to appear like an american drug commercial (:P) but ask your doctor about Duac cream. It's a daily cream that you put on at night and it's the best thing I've ever tried for acne. At first your skin might go a bit red (for me it didn't go red on my first cycle, but my neck did go a bit on my second) but afterwards it will make them calm down a whole lot. You have to use it regularly, no skipping whatsoever or they will come back. Even if you miss a day you will get some popping up for a few days. Also, they will come back properly a few days to weeks after you stop using it

Also, as for those 'stop spots with one dab' things, the only one that has actually worked for me is OXY zit blitz gel. It actually does work! I wa relaly surprised Although don't just rub it like a cream, just target a couple of the worst spots.

Lastly, I would buy OXY face scrub. You use it every 3-4 days and it works really well. I know this is a bit of a weird description, but it's a really 'scrubby' scrub. You can really feel it working, it's not just some thick gel with a few beads thrown in. It kind of feels like water and sand (but runny, not thick). Anyway, I'm rambling, but I love the scrub

Well, I hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    was really surprised*

ReputationRep:
    sorry water thing is a myth. Only way to sort it is by seeing a doctor who know what they are doing. Tea tree oil is ok but there are a lot better things You can buy. my skin cleared up really well when i used the creams my doctor gave me (Y). GL

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2010
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.