The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I can't really help here but just asking, what is your incentive to go to a university in Qatar?
Reply 2
it's just a beautiful country that has been a dream of mine to one day go and live there! they have world-class facilities and its fairly quite
In any case to answer the OPs question you should look to see if your university offers a year abroad or in industry as part of the degree, and see what opportunities may be available there. If you don't speak Arabic though you might find your options very limited, unless you are on an Arabic degree, or studying Arabic as part of a different degree (e.g. an Islamic Studies degree or if you're just doing Arabic modules as options). You will also in that case still need to go through various visa related hoops, which may or may not end up being an issue.
Original post by Anonymous
I am a UK citizen - 1st-year undergraduate - how can I get access to study at a university in the middle east preferably in Qatar

Are you at uni already? If not there are plenty of unis in the middle east offering undergraduate scholarships which include accommodation and flights back home.

https://www.hbku.edu.qa/en/admissions

https://opportunitiescorners.info/hammad-bin-khalifa-university-scholarship-2020/
I am a UK citizen - 1st-year undergraduate - how can I get access to study at a university in the middle east preferably in Qatar

If you have Money go then. Are you white or nonislamic? If so, you will probably struggle to adjust
So I live in the UAE rn, similar to Qatar but imo a lot better in terms of quality of life. If you wna live in Qatar I strongly recommend getting a UK degree as the Qatari ones aren't very well respected -- even in qatar. the course is most likely English but you'd need to check that.

you wont be stoned for being non arab, gay, or anything else.
Original post by hamid246810
you wont be stoned for being non arab, gay, or anything else. tbh from what I've seen British people can be way worse than arabs

Interesting that a (I assume) Muslim should be the first to mention stoning.

Let's judge people on what they do, not where they come from.

Original post by https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/middle-east-and-north-africa/qatar/report-qatar/
Qatari laws continued to discriminate against LGBTI individuals. Article 296(3) of the Penal Code, which punishes with imprisonment anyone who “leads or induces or tempts a male, by any means, into committing an act of sodomy or debauchery”, criminalizes a range of same-sex consensual sexual acts. Article 296(4) criminalizes anyone who “induces or tempts a male or female, by any means, into committing acts contrary to morals or that are unlawful”.

Do you agree that a consensual act, that harms no one, should be punishable by imprisonment?
Original post by https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/middle-east-and-north-africa/qatar/report-qatar/
Women continued to face discrimination in law and practice. Family law discriminates against women, including by making it much more difficult for women than men to seek a divorce, and placing women at a severe economic disadvantage if they seek a divorce or if their husband leaves them. Women also remained inadequately protected against violence, including within the family.

Do you find that "acceptable"?
(edited 3 years ago)
I am muslim myself..... you should check qatar out on YouTube media they lie alot it is way better than the UK

I wouldn't recommend believing YouTube over independent human rights organisations.
Thread re-opened.

Please make sure when posting in a thread you are doing so to be helpful to the OP. Thank you.
Reply 10
Original post by hamid246810
So I live in the UAE rn, similar to Qatar but imo a lot better in terms of quality of life. If you wna live in Qatar I strongly recommend getting a UK degree as the Qatari ones aren't very well respected -- even in qatar. the course is most likely English but you'd need to check that.

you wont be stoned for being non arab, gay, or anything else.

Qatar have "Education City" or "Qatar foundation" Which have 7 different universities (Georgetown university, Northwestern University, Weil Cornell and many others), including UCL for postgraduate studies, where you can pursue your studies! They are very helpful with financial aid, scholarships and different opportunities.

Latest

Trending

Trending