The Student Room Group

Finishing A-level maths course early

Hello,
I am in Year 13, studying A-level maths. I recently asked my teacher when we would finish the course and I was told that it will take until April to finish all the topics. Is April very late to finish if I am aiming to achieve an A*, and if so, should I study ahead in the upcoming holidays, which will allow me to complete all the topic earlier?

After doing this, I will continuously complete past papers. I know there aren't many for the new spec, so I intend on using the old spec ones.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by rsen1324
Hello,
I am in Year 13, studying A-level maths. I recently asked my teacher when we would finish the course and I was told that it will take until April to finish all the topics. Is April very late to finish if I am aiming to achieve an A*, and if so, should I study ahead in the upcoming holidays, which will allow me to complete all the topic earlier?

April might be cutting it close depending on how confident you are with A-level maths. The first exams are early june so that would be less than 2 months in total, alongside your other subjects, where you can do full papers. Personally, I would be ahead of the class and aim to finish by February, but that is 100% up to you and in most cases, following the class closely is better than zooming on ahead without a clue.
Reply 2
Hello,

After doing this, I will continuously complete past papers. I know there aren't many for the new spec, so I intend on using the old spec ones.

Are you doing all 3 parts at the same time? I know that some schools finish the course that late, but finish some parts (e.g. all of the pure) earlier so you can do practice pure papers before you finish all of the stats/mechanics.
Reply 3
Yeah. So far we've only done pure content in the A2 syllabus. No A2 mechanics or stats yet.
Reply 4
Yeah. So far we've only done pure content in the A2 syllabus. No A2 mechanics or stats yet.

Ah you'll be fine then, the stats and mechanics parts don't have a lot of content to learn (just practice to get the hang of bringing everything together), so 2 months will be plenty if you're currently keeping the year 1 applied content fresh.
Reply 5
Original post by Da14a
April might be cutting it close depending on how confident you are with A-level maths. The first exams are early june so that would be less than 2 months in total, alongside your other subjects, where you can do full papers. Personally, I would be ahead of the class and aim to finish by February, but that is 100% up to you and in most cases, following the class closely is better than zooming on ahead without a clue.

Yeah I was also thinking that February is a good time to finish. I think that I would be able to teach myself using online resources and the textbook, however I don't want to rush.
Hello,

Dammm
At my school we are finishing the stats part by end of january, mech by end of january and pure by end of February I think.

However, I am gonna try and go ahead over Christmas and learn more content. We are currently on differentiation in pure, normal distribution in stats and application of forces in mechanics. So I can pretty much finish all of the remaining content in stats and mech over christmas and hopefully get integration and differentiation done and dusted so I can zoom through parametric equations in class.

I just want to have lots of time to do lots of practice

Quick Reply

Latest