Amber_G2020
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi, I have been offered the opportunity to do a Microsoft course in one of their programs however I’m not sure what would be best to choose. Out of their programs ie. word, PowerPoint, excel etc. What would be most beneficial/ most looked at when becoming a secondary math teacher? I was thinking PowerPoint as these are used mostly for classroom resources but am not sure. Does anyone have any suggestions on which would be more looked at when applying for teaching?
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
Excel is about the only “mathematics” related MS Office application, and it’s important to understand the cell structure & how to avoid errors in formulas, which statistics tools to use etc.
(Many excel spreadsheets in-use in businesses do contain mathematical errors)

PowerPoint is much simpler, just choosing fonts, and a few words, you can teach yourself PPT
so mastery of Excel would be more impressive.
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Amber_G2020)
Hi, I have been offered the opportunity to do a Microsoft course in one of their programs however I’m not sure what would be best to choose. Out of their programs ie. word, PowerPoint, excel etc. What would be most beneficial/ most looked at when becoming a secondary math teacher? I was thinking PowerPoint as these are used mostly for classroom resources but am not sure. Does anyone have any suggestions on which would be more looked at when applying for teaching?
Excel. Excel. Excel.

Many maths teachers these days use Activinspire rather than Powerpoint (especially if they have an interactive whiteboard), and besides that, they key functions of Powerpoint (insofar as a teacher would use it) are easy to learn.

Excel, on the other hand, is extremely useful for managing and analysing data taken from tests / homeworks etc. We use Excel all the time to do Question Level Analysis of tests that students have done, and proficiency in Excel is quite important in my experience as using the functions allows you to quickly add up test scores / calculate percentages / calculate the average score for each sub-topic and more. If you can learn Lookup tables, even better.
Amber_G2020
Rep:
(Original post by bluebeetle)
Excel. Excel. Excel.

Many maths teachers these days use Activinspire rather than Powerpoint (especially if they have an interactive whiteboard), and besides that, they key functions of Powerpoint (insofar as a teacher would use it) are easy to learn.

Excel, on the other hand, is extremely useful for managing and analysing data taken from tests / homeworks etc. We use Excel all the time to do Question Level Analysis of tests that students have done, and proficiency in Excel is quite important in my experience as using the functions allows you to quickly add up test scores / calculate percentages / calculate the average score for each sub-topic and more. If you can learn Lookup tables, even better.
Thank you so much! This is really really useful to know. Definitely will be choosing Excel! Will be way more of use! Thank you, thank you, thankyou!!!
Amber_G2020
Rep:
(Original post by LuigiMario)
Excel is about the only “mathematics” related MS Office application, and it’s important to understand the cell structure & how to avoid errors in formulas, which statistics tools to use etc.
(Many excel spreadsheets in-use in businesses do contain mathematical errors)

PowerPoint is much simpler, just choosing fonts, and a few words, you can teach yourself PPT
so mastery of Excel would be more impressive.
Thank you so much! Definitely seems more appropriate to choose excel when you put it that way! Thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (39)
9.68%
Okay (119)
29.53%
A bit lacking (153)
37.97%
Not good at all (92)
22.83%

Watched Threads