Turn on thread page Beta

I have an Acer Aspire 3680 and I have been having some problems for a while due to my own stupidity and not because Acer is crap.

Basically I was downloading somethng off the internet and I got a virus which Mcafee couldn't sort out so I did the recovery thing which changes it back to factory settings and I deleted Microsoft Office.

After that, I though I should use the Windows Upgrade disc that came with my laptop as I was stupid enough not to listen to the good people of TSR.

So I ended up deleting all acer programmes and now I can't do any recovery but stupidly I didn't do any back up because when I first got it I removed the prompt so I forgot about it.

I then emailed acer and they said I would have to send it off for 70 pounds which I don't have but I really need the laptop because I have coursework from all 4 subjects.

After this amazingly long rant can I use someone else's recovery disc on my laptop. If it's an Acer Aspire 5... can I still use it for a 3680.

Thank you and again sorry for the rant

Also, what else can I do because I am desperate.

i know its a long read but does anyone know what I can do?

ReputationRep:
    Turn on your laptop. Put the first recovery CD in the optical drive. Reboot.

It should boot from the CD... if not let us know and someone well tell you how to set it up so it boots from the CD (If i'm not around)

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused...you've recovered the computer by reinstalling windows from cd? But you've lost the Acer programs?

The Acer programs can be downloaded from the acer website: http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers...k/as_3680.html . By the looks of it you have to install each part separately, so the 'Empowering Framework' and then all the components like eRecovery, ePresentation etc.

Is that what you meant!? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rcuk)
    I'm confused...you've recovered the computer by reinstalling windows from cd? But you've lost the Acer programs?

The Acer programs can be downloaded from the acer website: http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers...k/as_3680.html . By the looks of it you have to install each part separately, so the 'Empowering Framework' and then all the components like eRecovery, ePresentation etc.

Is that what you meant!? :P
    Ah, is that what she's done?

Anyway, just re-install the whole thing again.... might be easier for you... no reason why you can't do it again.

I don't have a CD.

I used the windows upgrade because I lost microsoft office and the windows upgrade disc made me lose acer so I don't have any acer programs or acer itself.

My keyboard, wireless and pointing device do not work.

So I havn't recovered the computer and alt+F10 doesn't work anymore but it did before

(Original post by MRLX69)
    Ah, is that what she's done?

Anyway, just re-install the whole thing again.... might be easier for you... no reason why you can't do it again.
    no that's not what I have done.

I used the windows anytime upgrade disc but lost acer so for some reason alt+F10 doesn't work anymore.

Can I use someone else's recovery disc. For example if someone with an acer aspire 5 something gives me their recovery disc can Iuse it on my acer aspire 3680?

ReputationRep:
    Try installing the Acer eRecovery tool from the link I gave then use the Alt+F10 combination when it loads. Pretty sure Acer will have put a backup of vista on a separate partition of the hard drive, so you'll be able to reinstall from this once you can access it with Alt+F10.

(Original post by rcuk)
    Try installing the Acer eRecovery tool from the link I gave then use the Alt+F10 combination when it loads. Pretty sure Acer will have put a backup of vista on a separate partition of the hard drive, so you'll be able to reinstall from this once you can access it with Alt+F10.
    I have installed acer erecovery from the link you gave me but Alt+F10 is still not working

So I got a friend to give me their acer recovery backup CD but its an Acer Aspire 5... (can't remember exactly what) and my laptop is acer aspire 3680.

Do you think the recovery CD will work on my laptop?

Also, a big Thank you to every one who has helped so far.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.