Further Maths Watch

pow!
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Im currently studing Maths, History, Economics and Business (Business is Fast track AS+A2 in 1 year) AS Levels. I am just wondering if i should do Further Maths in Year 13 to increase my chances of getting into a top uni and future prospects.

Firstly, is it worth it? and secondly, is it actually possible? do I need to have learnt Maths A2 before tackling further Maths? and finally, how difficult is it? I got an A at GCSE (taken 6 month early in November). any information is greatly appreciated.
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What subject are you applying for?
WhatTheFunk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you can do A2 and further maths at the same time, you don't have to A2 math first

what are you applying for and which top unis you looking at
Noble.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If the board is Edexcel then the modules are done so that you essentially tackle the easier Further Maths topics in year one, then do C3/C4 in Normal Maths (during year 2), which is needed for some Further Maths, so those modules will be also be done in year 2.

If you're wanting to do Maths or Economics at a good University I'd say do FM, if you want to do History or Business I wouldn't worry. Some Courses/Universities will disregard Further Maths.
Salinger
Badges: 1
Report 10 years ago
Well i've just completed AS's in maths/physics/accounts/general s. /economics
and achieved AAAAC respectively, and have decided to drop economics due to not enjoying it, and taking up an AS further maths this year.

for AS maths i did C1/C2/D1

this year i'm doing C3/C4/S1 for A2 Maths
and for AS Further maths FP1/M1/D2, alongside A2 Maths
in january i'm sitting FP1 - before learning any of C4.

Basically for FP1 knowledge is only assumed on C1/C2 so you can do it with just AS in maths as i am, and obviously the applied module wil be the second applied to the one you did at AS... so mine is D2.:rolleyes:

I am doing it because i'm planning on applying to do a maths degree, and obviously further maths will be very beneficial and i think i can get a grade A in it aswell so i'm doing it. Yes, its definitely worth it and definitely possible.

I say: go for it like i did :cool:
pow!
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
thanks for the replies guys, they've helped alot. i am thinking of applying for an economic/business course, or possibly a maths degree - history is just something i enjoy, but wouldnt like to pursue after education. my ideal career is in the marketing/advertisement industry, but i dont want to waste my mathematical capability just yet.

how big of a boost will AS further maths give me?
neomilan
Report 10 years ago
i got A* and 99% at GCSE and i take further maths... i wouldn't think anything with lower than A* at GCSE maths would take further maths...
Oxy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by neomilan)
i got A* and 99% at GCSE and i take further maths... i wouldn't think anything with lower than A* at GCSE maths would take further maths...
No.
neomilan
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Oxy)
No.
although a vague reply i do see where you're coming from when you say No. although i don't quire understand that part of the sentance :shifty:
Oxy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by neomilan)
although a vague reply i do see where you're coming from when you say No. although i don't quire understand that part of the sentance :shifty:
You dont need an A*, if u got enough determination u do it even if u got a C in GCSE Maths, just takes practice. Thats all maths is at A-level.:rolleyes:
dottycookies
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
there's a bit of integration that you need to know - i think it's for Complex Numbers. This comes in at C4 so you could do it - you need to be on your toes so that you know what to do really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?