ermmaya
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
i’m really excited to learn psychology further next year at alevel, but i’m wondering what it’s like? most people tell me it’s really hard and boring hut i just want to know what the classes, homework and content is like? any help would be appreciated <3
- current year 11
IkathleenI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Though I don’t do it, my best friend does. She said it’s hard but as long as you keep up with the Notes and revision you’ll be fine. There’s a lot of theorists and even some biology involved but it’s interesting.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hello

My sister does. It is a lot of extra research and background reading. I would really advise taking notes and keeping them in a folder which you can get from a high street bookshop or online. She has a course textbook as well. It is hard she says but far from dull however for her personally. You do need top notch written communication skills. The ability to summarise information is a good one to have in addition. Make sure you clearly reference all Internet sources at the bottom of any essay.
username3611836
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I did Eqexel A Level psychology. It was a LOT LOT of content to learn. Lots of essay plans and structures to memorise. You need to remember certain command word in questions e.g. explain or evaluate bc they indicate which marking objectives you need to write about . They didn’t tell us on open day that the majority of psychology is evaluating scientific research and psychological theories. What was really annoying about answering questions was that eg. on a 16 marker you write all 16 valid points right however these questions are “banded”. so if you don’t write the essay in a certain way you get marked down to 13 marks instead of full marks. My teacher was rlly harsh marking bc she actually marked papers for the exam board. That being said this made grade boundaries quite low so in a mock I got like 40% which was equivalent to an A. I think to take psychology you have to be passionate and fully interested with all aspects of the subject because otherwise you lose the motivation and it becomes difficult for you to actively want to revise and study for psychology. However that is just my experience. Don’t get me wrong tho some parts of psychology were actually really interesting. But if i had to redo year 12/13, I definitely DEFINITELY would have switched subject lol.
Moonlight rain
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It really is so interesting if you are interested in how people think and the reasons for their behaviour. It was the best subject I’ve ever done.
ermmaya
Rep:
?
(Original post by IkathleenI)
Though I don’t do it, my best friend does. She said it’s hard but as long as you keep up with the Notes and revision you’ll be fine. There’s a lot of theorists and even some biology involved but it’s interesting.
i think i will enjoy it as i think curiosity is what leads me to do well in it at gcse so i'd love to find out more at a-level
ermmaya
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Hello

My sister does. It is a lot of extra research and background reading. I would really advise taking notes and keeping them in a folder which you can get from a high street bookshop or online. She has a course textbook as well. It is hard she says but far from dull however for her personally. You do need top notch written communication skills. The ability to summarise information is a good one to have in addition. Make sure you clearly reference all Internet sources at the bottom of any essay.
i will be sure to do this and i think because i find it interesting i'll be more motivated to revise it and read externally about certain topics! thankyou
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
i did it and found it straightforward enough. lot of content though so make sure you're regularly revising it and doing plenty of exam practice. currently doing a psychology degree and it's helped having the background knowledge from a-level.
ermmaya
Rep:
?
(Original post by paymewithfood)
I did Eqexel A Level psychology. It was a LOT LOT of content to learn. Lots of essay plans and structures to memorise. You need to remember certain command word in questions e.g. explain or evaluate bc they indicate which marking objectives you need to write about . They didn’t tell us on open day that the majority of psychology is evaluating scientific research and psychological theories. What was really annoying about answering questions was that eg. on a 16 marker you write all 16 valid points right however these questions are “banded”. so if you don’t write the essay in a certain way you get marked down to 13 marks instead of full marks. My teacher was rlly harsh marking bc she actually marked papers for the exam board. That being said this made grade boundaries quite low so in a mock I got like 40% which was equivalent to an A. I think to take psychology you have to be passionate and fully interested with all aspects of the subject because otherwise you lose the motivation and it becomes difficult for you to actively want to revise and study for psychology. However that is just my experience. Don’t get me wrong tho some parts of psychology were actually really interesting. But if i had to redo year 12/13, I definitely DEFINITELY would have switched subject lol.
sounds like a lot of work! i think curiosity will help me have motivation to study for it hopefully thankyou!
ermmaya
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moonlight rain)
It really is so interesting if you are interested in how people think and the reasons for their behaviour. It was the best subject I’ve ever done.
it's currrently my favourite subject and i think i will hopefully enjoy it at a-level too, thankyou for your feedback!
ermmaya
Rep:
?
(Original post by absolutelysprout)
i did it and found it straightforward enough. lot of content though so make sure you're regularly revising it and doing plenty of exam practice. currently doing a psychology degree and it's helped having the background knowledge from a-level.
this is great! thankyou so much, looking to do law at uni once i'm done at a-level and i think psychology would be a good subject to start beforehand
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ermmaya)
this is great! thankyou so much, looking to do law at uni once i'm done at a-level and i think psychology would be a good subject to start beforehand
sounds good! psychology's a good subject to get some essay practice in :yes:
MadameRazz
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
research methods is super boring, but the struggle is worth it because everything else is super interesting.
ermmaya
Rep:
?
(Original post by MadameRazz)
research methods is super boring, but the struggle is worth it because everything else is super interesting.
ohh i've done research methods at GCSE. SO boringgg but luckily it doesn't seem to be much different to what i'm doing now and there's may more new exciting topics for me to learn which hopefully will outweigh it.
hootdoot04
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Are you looking to study it at uni?
ermmaya
Rep:
?
(Original post by hootdoot04)
Are you looking to study it at uni?
not at the moment, i'm hoping to study law or medicine
hootdoot04
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
not at the moment, i'm hoping to study law or medicine
Ahh nice was gonna mention how psych is a bad degree choice!
something_orphic
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Basically the same as everyone else and i think people dislike it so much is just bc of the amount of content involved and how much research methods there are but if you keep up w ur work it'll be fine. I personally found that 1st year is 'more boring' than second year because you seem to do a lot more research methods but by second year hopefully your college has picked out good topics like forensic psychology. There is also less content in second year so thats nice. I hope you enjoy it
Kira96
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It is one of the best subjects ever! Definitely you will enjoy!
Kira96
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
i’m really excited to learn psychology further next year at alevel, but i’m wondering what it’s like? most people tell me it’s really hard and boring hut i just want to know what the classes, homework and content is like? any help would be appreciated <3
- current year 11
Definitely you will enjoy, it is one of the best courses ever!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
9.2%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (57)
65.52%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (12)
13.79%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (9)
10.34%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.15%

Watched Threads