Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I did an AEA but got "unclassified" - I am now applying post-A-level - do I have to put it on my UCAS? Thanks

Also, I did re-sits for some AS modules in June i.e. the following year when I sat my A2 modules....so where do I enter these modules, as the date is 08 not 07 when I sat my AS modules . sorry to be confusing.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, you have to declare your AEA grade, but not any other qualifications where you got a U.

ReputationRep:
    I thought AEA's did not have to be declared if you didn't pass them? I know the rules changed this year but I didn't think it applied to this :s

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies. I was hoping that I didn't have to declare it as it isn't relevant to my course.

ReputationRep:
    You HAVE to declare AEAs, even if they're unclassified. I've had this confirmed by my maths teacher + exams officer. Still not believing them, I phoned up UCAS and they confirmed it as well.

If it isn't relevant to your course, they won't care much, but you risk getting your application cancelled if you mislead them by not declaring it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    You HAVE to declare AEAs, even if they're unclassified. I've had this confirmed by my maths teacher + exams officer. Still not believing them, I phoned up UCAS and they confirmed it as well.

If it isn't relevant to your course, they won't care much, but you risk getting your application cancelled if you mislead them by not declaring it.
    This is what I thought.

A U in A levels doesn't need to be declared, but a U in AEAs does.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies.

I'm so worried this will cost me a place now at one of my chosen universities as even though it's not related to my course, an "unclassified" is surely not going to look impressive in the eyes of an admissions tutor dealing with hundreds of applicants.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat as you are. UCAS have been really unhelpful though! When I called, I was told it depended on my school's policy on certification.

I called my school and they said they'll probably certify my failed AEA but that I don't have to declare it. Ugh! Confused.....!

(and god, I hate UCAS's customer service. None of them seem to have a clue what's going on)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaloo)
    I called my school and they said they'll probably certify my failed AEA but that I don't have to declare it. Ugh! Confused.....!
    If you look at the back of your results slip, it'll say that a U is too low to be certified. And I know for a fact you don't get a certificate in October/November which says "U" on it.

But as I've said above, I think you have to declare it.

(and god, I hate UCAS's customer service. None of them seem to have a clue what's going on)
    Too true.

ReputationRep:
    If you look at the back of your results slip, it'll say that a U is too low to be certified. And I know for a fact you don't get a certificate in October/November which says "U" on it.

But as I've said above, I think you have to declare it.
    *checks results slip* Ah, you're right. Well that means that I don't have to declare it, according to the dodgy lady on the UCAS helpline whom I don't believe anyway.

I suppose I'll call on Monday and ask to speak to a manager. I have to call to withdraw my '08 application anyway.

I'm a bit annoyed. I only agreed to take the AEA cos I thought I could just hide it if I failed. I wouldn't have bothered if I knew otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaloo)
    I'm a bit annoyed. I only agreed to take the AEA cos I thought I could just hide it if I failed. I wouldn't have bothered if I knew otherwise.
    Same same.....I thought I would be able to hide the damm thing, obviously not

Also, you say that you are ringing to withdraw your 08 app? I have not done this! ah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ueno_J)
    Same same.....I thought I would be able to hide the damm thing, obviously not

Also, you say that you are ringing to withdraw your 08 app? I have not done this! ah!
    I tried to but the UCAS lady hung up on me before I could ask (and its meant to be flipping customer service week!) so I emailed my firm uni and they contacted UCAS for me.

regarding the AEA, are you definitely declaring it then? My school is adamant I don't have to. Ucas are dodging the issue. Durham uni advised I didn't. Cambridge advised I did. I'm just going to declare it cos like it or not, I failed it and the consequences of hiding it and being "declared fraudulent" scare me.. Eep.

ReputationRep:
    Hey. ah UCAS service sounds like a nightmare.

I agree with you - better to put the AEA on than hide it, just in case like you say, it jeopardizes the entire application. My school also say don't put it on, but get a teacher to refer to it in your reference if they haven't already. Mine missed the pass mark by a mark which is annoying. Is your AEA directly related to the subject which you are applying for? Mine isn't which is why I might just put it on then get my teacher to write something in the reference. I really need to send my app off soon...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ueno_J)
    Is your AEA directly related to the subject which you are applying for? Mine isn't which is why I might just put it on then get my teacher to write something in the reference. I really need to send my app off soon...!
    mine's completely unrelated, other-side-of-the-spectrum, etc. I sent mine off a couple of days ago, having declared it. I've had a couple of "We're now considering your application" emails from unis so now its just the waiting game.

I never found out what mark I got. My college is very very infuriating...

ReputationRep:
    If it's this confusing I think it's fair not to put it on. Then if it's pulled up, just use the 'I didn't think you had to declare it' line, it's not even a lie, it's so bloody confusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan-IW)
    Then if it's pulled up, just use the 'I didn't think you had to declare it' line, it's not even a lie,
    What if they pull out the "Ignorance is not an excuse" line :p:?

ReputationRep:
    Well, people here have tried very hard to get an answer, and are still unsure. It's their fault for not being clear enough.

I'm ignorant of the meaning of life, not because I have not thought about it, but because the answer is bloody hard to come to - and it's fair to say it's not my fault for not knowing. I'd have thought the principle is the same.

ReputationRep:

Your school must be certificating, my teacher, exams officer and UCAS told me you dont have to declare if it isn't being certificated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juliet_Wannabe1)
    Your school must be certificating, my teacher, exams officer and UCAS told me you dont have to declare if it isn't being certificated
    If that's what they told you then fine (but I would get it in writing from UCAS if I were you). But it's impossible to certify a U grade anyway - read the back of your results slip - so I don't see how that's even an issue. I did bring up the point that it won't be certified with my exams officer and he said you still have to declare it.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.