14t
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I tried writing essays, mind maps etc nothing seems to go in. Is making essay plans an alright idea as a way of memorising the info
Dobby_101
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by 14t)
I tried writing essays, mind maps etc nothing seems to go in. Is making essay plans an alright idea as a way of memorising the info
I finished my psychology a level last year and am now completing a psychology degree. I found repetition is the most helpful for memorising facts and results. For instance making flash cards and learning one a day then keep going until you've learnt them all But try and go through the flash cards everyday whilst you are learning new ones so you don't forget it. That's what worked for me at least. May be ask your teacher, they will have seen many students have that same issue and will know what revision techniques work best for each topic. I think essay plans are great for learning how to structure answers but aren't great for taking in new information
14t
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Dobby_101)
I finished my psychology a level last year and am now completing a psychology degree. I found repetition is the most helpful for memorising facts and results. For instance making flash cards and learning one a day then keep going until you've learnt them all But try and go through the flash cards everyday whilst you are learning new ones so you don't forget it. That's what worked for me at least. May be ask your teacher, they will have seen many students have that same issue and will know what revision techniques work best for each topic. I think essay plans are great for learning how to structure answers but aren't great for taking in new information
thanks for the advice! with flash cards- there’s so many things to go over how did you structure your time?
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
My sister does psychology for A level. This is a technique that she tries highlighting facts in blue etc. Make up some brief notes too. Keep on doing reading as well it helps. Find a way of remembering the information. You could even make up some mini booklets of facts and questions.
ashtolga23
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I laid my advice for this out in the “revision technique” section of this thread if you wanna check it out at some point. Feel free to ask questions here or there.

Sorry if this feels impersonal but I figured it’s better than giving you a watered down version of the same thing as it explains in detail, then if you read it and want to talk about anything specifically you can bring that up.
ashtolga23
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by tinygirl96)
My sister does psychology for A level. This is a technique that she tries highlighting facts in blue etc. Make up some brief notes too. Keep on doing reading as well it helps. Find a way of remembering the information. You could even make up some mini booklets of facts and questions.
“Find a way of remembering the information” is pretty solid to be fair haha 😂
Arden University
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by 14t)
Hi there,

What may benefit you is looking up quizzes to find out what learning style you have and working from there. We actually have a really quick one on our website which lets you know how you learn best and gives you tips on how to use this to your advantage.
https://arden.ac.uk/what-type-learner-are-you
It gives you a brief description of what it means when you are that type of learner and then a list of recommendations to utilize your learning. For example, this is what is said about a visual learner:

Here are some things that visual learners like you can do to learn better:

Use flashcards to learn new words.
Try to visualize things that you hear or things that are read to you.
Write down key words, ideas, or instructions.
Draw pictures to help explain new concepts and then explain the pictures.
Colour code things.
Avoid distractions during study times.

I am studying a degree in Criminology and Psychology and utilised this quiz; I felt like it really helped me to understand how I learn best and ever since, I have made sure to learn in the learning style that is best for me. I find I remember stuff a lot more than when I did in school when I didn't know

Toni,
Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.64%
Excited but a bit nervous (123)
45.9%
Not bothered either way (35)
13.06%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.4%

Watched Threads