The Student Room Group

Is diet soda less worse than hot chocolate

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mesopotamian.
Neither is better than the other. Both aren’t that great from a health perspective. If you don’t really care one way or another, drink whichever you crave more.

Wait so artifical sweeteners are no better for your teeth than sugar!?!

Why is the UK government pushing to replace sugar with sweeteners then? It seems a bit disingenuous.
(edited 3 years ago)
I don’t eat more when I have it. Thanks I honestly just made this thread so I can hear what I wanted to hear
Original post by Moonlight rain
Ik the reason it was because of the braces I had and a bit disgusting but the plaque built up on top so it left white marks.

my issue is the sugar not so much the calories. My hot chocolate is 5.3g of sugar each cup and I have 3 a day. cause it’s 2 good. If I had 3 cups of diet soda a day, yh maybe my teeth will be messed up but in terms of the sugar I’ll be alright

Well I can’t give you a diagnosis over the internet but I strongly recommend seeing your dentist over those white marks :redface:

P.S. both hot chocolate and Diet Coke are bad for your teeth. One will cause decay whilst the other will cause tooth wear and ultimately tooth sensitivity. Neither are particularly cheap to treat.
Original post by glassalice
Wait so artifical sweeteners are no better for your teeth than sugar!?!

Why is the UK government pushing to replace sugar with sweeteners then? It seems a bit disingenuous.

I didn’t refer to sweeteners at any point? :confused:
Well I can’t give you a diagnosis over the internet but I strongly recommend seeing your dentist over those white marks :redface:

P.S. both hot chocolate and Diet Coke are bad for your teeth. One will cause decay whilst the other will cause tooth wear and ultimately tooth sensitivity. Neither are particularly cheap to treat.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I never go to the dentist.

I think they’re saying that diet soda is sweetener and hot choc is sugar and surely sweetener is less worse for your teeth
I think they’re saying that diet soda is sweetener and hot choc is sugar and surely sweetener is less worse for your teeth

It’s not the sweetener in Diet Coke that’s bad for teeth, it’s because it’s carbonated. It’s acidic and therefore causes tooth wear which is irreversible.

Oh OK lol.
I wrongly assumed that the diet soda must not be good for your teeth because of the sweeteners.
It’s not the sweetener in Diet Coke that’s bad for teeth, it’s because it’s carbonated. It’s acidic and therefore causes tooth wear which is irreversible.

Does that take a long time to actually happen tho?
Ok I’m throwing my hot chocolate away and replacing it with diet sprite
Does that take a long time to actually happen tho?

Not really. Teeth actually begin to demineralise within minutes of eating. It’s a chemical balance (I’m not going to bore you with the science) but if someone consistently consumes acidic foods, you’ll notice the effects sooner than you’d think (not within a week, but not when your 80 years old and on your death bed either).
Elaborate.

Spoiler

Not really. Teeth actually begin to demineralise within minutes of eating. It’s a chemical balance (I’m not going to bore you with the science) but if someone consistently consumes acidic foods, you’ll notice the effects sooner than you’d think (not within a week, but not when your 80 years old and on your death bed either).

Yes please, I fell asleep 3 times.

Ah okay... well I’d rather have black teeth which is quite aesthetic than type 2 diabetes. Ty
aspartame is dangerous
Original post by Aliya198232
aspartame is dangerous

It may be. But it helps me from eating jammy dodgers all day which is a lot worse
Elaborate.

Spoiler

No worries!!! If it gives u excitement talking about it then continue :smile:
What you’ve listed is useful for preventing decay, but not really relevant for tooth wear.

As long as you don’t make a habit of drinking carbonated drinks everyday/ regularly you should be fine. Or if you really want to, use a straw because it limits the surface area of teeth that get into contact with the acid.

Okay that’s it from me today folks, see you next year at my next free dental thread-derailing event. :ciao:
What you’ve listed is useful for preventing decay, but not really relevant for tooth wear.

As long as you don’t make a habit of drinking carbonated drinks everyday/ regularly you should be fine. Or if you really want to, use a straw because it limits the surface area of teeth that get into contact with the acid.

Okay that’s it from me today folks, see you next year at my next free dental thread-derailing event. :ciao:

Ah thanks, I’ll get a straw then!!! Well thank you for all your help, you’ve been most helpful!
Ah thanks, I’ll get a straw then!!! Well thank you for all your help, you’ve been most helpful!

No problem! I’m glad that tiny piece of information was useful :h:
No problem! I’m glad that tiny piece of information was useful :h:

Are you already a dentist? And do you enjoy putting that slime thing on peoples teeth? That’s why I don’t go the dentist, the texture is gross. And the dentist sucks the water out of my body and has the audacity to ask me how’s my day

Quick Reply

Latest