PESTLE analysis of esports games

Scroll to see replies

Ok
tell me more
Reply 3
Original post by Arzoo khan

If you are asking for a PESTLE analysis, consult google first, but I'll have a crack off the top of my head:

Political: Some governments, like those in China, have Governement legislation banning certain games and limiting hours of internet café's and such, reducing possible playing rates for esports games. (This also fits in 'Legal' but can be seen as a political move)

Banning of loot boxes in certain countries (a political move) means games that haven't remived them cannot be played as esports there.
Economic(?): Rise in inflation and Bank of England interest rates could see games, including esports competitions, to reduce capacity due to lower sales revenue for the game developers. This is due to video games being seen as a luxury good and when consumers have lower disposable incomes, they would tend to avoid purchasing them due to this inherently steep price elasticity of demand.

Social: Esports are 'social' events - anyone can come up with this.

Technological: They are playing games on what is most likely a PC. Don't need to say anything here.

Legal: Some governments, like those in China, have Governement legislation banning certain games and limiting hours of internet café's and such, reducing possible playing rates for esports games.

Environmental: PC's and the e-waste generated is a pretty large problem so consumers and more importantly in this case, sponsors, may favour purchasing from those manufacturers who use more sustainable methods in creating the PC components or sourcing from a supplier who uses less violent mining methods for the rarer metals in the CPU etc.
this is crap
Reply 5
Original post by lukewalsh
this is crap

:confused:
Reply 6
Original post by Da14a
If you are asking for a PESTLE analysis, consult google first, but I'll have a crack off the top of my head:

Political: Some governments, like those in China, have Governement legislation banning certain games and limiting hours of internet café's and such, reducing possible playing rates for esports games. (This also fits in 'Legal' but can be seen as a political move)

Banning of loot boxes in certain countries (a political move) means games that haven't remived them cannot be played as esports there.
Economic(?): Rise in inflation and Bank of England interest rates could see games, including esports competitions, to reduce capacity due to lower sales revenue for the game developers. This is due to video games being seen as a luxury good and when consumers have lower disposable incomes, they would tend to avoid purchasing them due to this inherently steep price elasticity of demand.

Technological: They are playing games on what is most likely a PC. Don't need to say anything here.

Legal: Some governments, like those in China, have Governement legislation banning certain games and limiting hours of internet café's and such, reducing possible playing rates for esports games.

Environmental: PC's and the e-waste generated is a pretty large problem so consumers and more importantly in this case, sponsors, may favour purchasing from those manufacturers who use more sustainable methods in creating the PC components or sourcing from a supplier who uses less violent mining methods for the rarer metals in the CPU etc.

Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by Da14a

Thanks, this is a really good base to start off.
Don't know what's up with Luke though, hope its all good at home my guy.
Political ImpactsE-sports in the United Kingdom has captured the government in terms of legalities and internal insights. Several local governments within the United Kingdom are looking at the possibilities of esports being a catalyst for driving economic growth. An example of this factor is the government of the United Kingdom, both local and national, holding tournaments or ways to bid for international events. United Kingdom government is working of factoring esports as sports and not employment. Most of the international players or participants are treated under the employment sector instead of the sports sector. And this has been seen in top events and tournaments like League of Legends European Championship (LAW et al., 2019). Economic ImpactsAs mentioned earlier, the UK esports industry has grown annually between 2016 and 2019 and therefore increased other aspects of the United Kingdom’s economy. An example is that the esports industry provided over 1200 jobs within 2019 only. Despite the sector representing a lower percentage of the global market, the industry plays a huge role in employment opportunities. The UK esports industry represents only 85 of the worldwide market. Despite this, the industry still plays a role in the economic sector of the country. In 2019 financial year of the UK, esports sector supported approximately 110 million pounds in terms of Gross Value Added. The top global esports events generate a lot of opportunities and income from different aspects, for example, full-time equivalents. Such events could cause 238 FTEs in employment and Gross Value Added of approximately 12 million pounds. Sociological ImpactsThe social impact of esports in the UK is worth exploring due to factors like development and transformation. Esports though considered a younger generation thing had impacted the youth and also the parents. An example is, the esports communities created in the UK have encouraged the members and people in general with self-identity and therefore connect with individual people with same interests. A scholarship has been available for individuals good at esports and sports in general around the UK and the European Union (Abarbanel et al., 2020). This scholarship, housed within the Sports Policy Unit, encourages the participants to expertise on the sports, including esports and their impact on the community. Technological FactorsA variety of e-sport games are played on tech devices such as PCs, mobile phones and gaming consoles. Esports affects each of these. Since PCs is the origin of gaming since the early 2000s, it is regarded as the most used aspect of gaming. Companies like Improbable and Space Ace Games have invested in the OC sector for games. Over the next few years, PCs are likely to be considered as a category in the esports players. Mobile gaming has had a sharp increase in the esports market over the last two years (Breuer, p.128). Various games have been developed like PUBG and Free Fire. Legal and Environmental ImpactsThe United Kingdom has considered regulatory concerns of online gaming and created various restrictions to protect these individuals. For example, gambling is considered an e-sport and opens up the industry to a lot of risks in terms of manipulation (Greer et al., 2019). On the aspect of the environment, a lot of gaming components rely on plastic (Macey et al., 2020). The United Kingdom has restricted the use of plastic for various usage like plastic bags, and this includes gaming. The banning of 5p charging aspects has affected the gaming industry but promoted the environment.
Original post by Honeynooo
Political ImpactsE-sports in the United Kingdom has captured the government in terms of legalities and internal insights. Several local governments within the United Kingdom are looking at the possibilities of esports being a catalyst for driving economic growth. An example of this factor is the government of the United Kingdom, both local and national, holding tournaments or ways to bid for international events. United Kingdom government is working of factoring esports as sports and not employment. Most of the international players or participants are treated under the employment sector instead of the sports sector. And this has been seen in top events and tournaments like League of Legends European Championship (LAW et al., 2019). Economic ImpactsAs mentioned earlier, the UK esports industry has grown annually between 2016 and 2019 and therefore increased other aspects of the United Kingdom’s economy. An example is that the esports industry provided over 1200 jobs within 2019 only. Despite the sector representing a lower percentage of the global market, the industry plays a huge role in employment opportunities. The UK esports industry represents only 85 of the worldwide market. Despite this, the industry still plays a role in the economic sector of the country. In 2019 financial year of the UK, esports sector supported approximately 110 million pounds in terms of Gross Value Added. The top global esports events generate a lot of opportunities and income from different aspects, for example, full-time equivalents. Such events could cause 238 FTEs in employment and Gross Value Added of approximately 12 million pounds. Sociological ImpactsThe social impact of esports in the UK is worth exploring due to factors like development and transformation. Esports though considered a younger generation thing had impacted the youth and also the parents. An example is, the esports communities created in the UK have encouraged the members and people in general with self-identity and therefore connect with individual people with same interests. A scholarship has been available for individuals good at esports and sports in general around the UK and the European Union (Abarbanel et al., 2020). This scholarship, housed within the Sports Policy Unit, encourages the participants to expertise on the sports, including esports and their impact on the community. Technological FactorsA variety of e-sport games are played on tech devices such as PCs, mobile phones and gaming consoles. Esports affects each of these. Since PCs is the origin of gaming since the early 2000s, it is regarded as the most used aspect of gaming. Companies like Improbable and Space Ace Games have invested in the OC sector for games. Over the next few years, PCs are likely to be considered as a category in the esports players. Mobile gaming has had a sharp increase in the esports market over the last two years (Breuer, p.128). Various games have been developed like PUBG and Free Fire. Legal and Environmental ImpactsThe United Kingdom has considered regulatory concerns of online gaming and created various restrictions to protect these individuals. For example, gambling is considered an e-sport and opens up the industry to a lot of risks in terms of manipulation (Greer et al., 2019). On the aspect of the environment, a lot of gaming components rely on plastic (Macey et al., 2020). The United Kingdom has restricted the use of plastic for various usage like plastic bags, and this includes gaming. The banning of 5p charging aspects has affected the gaming industry but promoted the environment.

Can you delete this please
Reply 10
Original post by mohammed7958
Can you delete this please

wait why?
Original post by 214HP
wait why?

Mine is similar and if I use it, it says that I had copied from here but I did not even see this before
Reply 12
Original post by mohammed7958
Mine is similar and if I use it, it says that I had copied from here but I did not even see this before

Fair
Reply 13
lol stop being greedy just cos you can't use it doesn't mean anyone else isn't
Original post by Da14a

Thanks for the answer for pestle analysis but I cannot think of how to write paragraphs about social, technological and economical if you can explain this it will really help me in my exam and also my exam will in 2 weeks.
if this is still relevant i have written this just now for my assignment

Political – Some countries specifically China have taken steps to limit Esports and gaming in general some going as far as to limit the amount of hours people are allowed to spend online. This will restrict market growth in these areas and will present a issue for Chinese players who want to become Esports players or even make their own team to challenge
Economic – Rise in costs of hardware and entry to competitions will restrict those who are not as rich as others from entering at they will lack the funds to do so ultimately not letting natural talent through the first stages as they couldn’t afford the costs of Gaming.
Social – Esports teams often represent gamers as a whole and therefore have a big social responsibility to show that gaming can be a honourable profession and make people trust that they will have fun. A lot of teams have taken up an initiative to tackle the disparity in female players to male players

Technological – Improvements in gaming technology will see the games we play increase in realism graphics quality and will even open up new genres of hyper realistic VR games.

Legal – In countries like China limitations on the amount of time players are allowed to play games and also restrictions on events as to not encourage what is seen as an unhealth lifestyle. Also in most countries a lot of games are age limited therefore not allowing young players to develop skills early ultimately leading to a lower player quality in younger players.
Environmental – PC’s and tournaments lead to a lot of waste in cups and food containers but also E-waste in the form of old PC parts as people have purchased higher performing machines and moved on from older hardware but this creates a serious problem in developing countries where the waste is often sent and creates serious pollution which has to be reviewed in the modern age.
Reply 16
Original post by DanielleS29
if this is still relevant i have written this just now for my assignment

Political – Some countries specifically China have taken steps to limit Esports and gaming in general some going as far as to limit the amount of hours people are allowed to spend online. This will restrict market growth in these areas and will present a issue for Chinese players who want to become Esports players or even make their own team to challenge
Economic – Rise in costs of hardware and entry to competitions will restrict those who are not as rich as others from entering at they will lack the funds to do so ultimately not letting natural talent through the first stages as they couldn’t afford the costs of Gaming.
Social – Esports teams often represent gamers as a whole and therefore have a big social responsibility to show that gaming can be a honourable profession and make people trust that they will have fun. A lot of teams have taken up an initiative to tackle the disparity in female players to male players

Technological – Improvements in gaming technology will see the games we play increase in realism graphics quality and will even open up new genres of hyper realistic VR games.

Legal – In countries like China limitations on the amount of time players are allowed to play games and also restrictions on events as to not encourage what is seen as an unhealth lifestyle. Also in most countries a lot of games are age limited therefore not allowing young players to develop skills early ultimately leading to a lower player quality in younger players.
Environmental – PC’s and tournaments lead to a lot of waste in cups and food containers but also E-waste in the form of old PC parts as people have purchased higher performing machines and moved on from older hardware but this creates a serious problem in developing countries where the waste is often sent and creates serious pollution which has to be reviewed in the modern age.

Looks like great points. Hope you did well on the assignment,
Original post by Da14a

you stupid fat useless little man i can not begin to describe how useless you are i hate you so much
Original post by Da14a

bull crap
Original post by Da14a

This is bull crap

Quick Reply