The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Can I choose more than 3 subjects in the Sub-honours years in St. Andrews?

I am planning to study for an undergraduate degree at the University of St. Andrews. I am aware that the students in St. Andrews could choose 3 subjects in the first and second year. Therefore, I am wondering could I choose 4 or even 5 subjects?
Original post by Anonymous
I am planning to study for an undergraduate degree at the University of St. Andrews. I am aware that the students in St. Andrews could choose 3 subjects in the first and second year. Therefore, I am wondering could I choose 4 or even 5 subjects?

The 3 subject system adds up to the 120 credits you need to achieve. Doing 4 or 5 wouldn’t be allowed, nor would it be advisable, simply because of how demanding doing 3 different courses is anyway, especially if you have never studied one or two of the three. The only exception which you could study 4 subjects in one semester is if you failed a module and needed to make up extra credits. The good thing about the 3 subject system is the flexibility, so you could theoretically study the other two subjects you didn’t get to do in first semester in the second (as long as pre-requisites allow). Hope this helps :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
To be fair, you could do more than 3 if you dropped one early. For example, on top of my degree (computer science and economics) I also took a module in geography in first semester and a module in maths (which counted toward my econ degree) in second semester. So I took four different subjects. But I only was allowed to choose between computer science, economics, and maths to continue in second year, because I hadn't taken enough geography modules in first year to continue it. If I'd dropped both maths and economics, I could have taken first-year modules in something else (say, philosophy) in second year. But I would have then only been able to do computer science in honours, since I wouldn't have the second-year requirements for anything else.
Original post by JainaRose
To be fair, you could do more than 3 if you dropped one early. For example, on top of my degree (computer science and economics) I also took a module in geography in first semester and a module in maths (which counted toward my econ degree) in second semester. So I took four different subjects. But I only was allowed to choose between computer science, economics, and maths to continue in second year, because I hadn't taken enough geography modules in first year to continue it. If I'd dropped both maths and economics, I could have taken first-year modules in something else (say, philosophy) in second year. But I would have then only been able to do computer science in honours, since I wouldn't have the second-year requirements for anything else.

Is there a way to do a joint degree if you only started one of the subjects in year 2? For example, if in year 2 you started a course that offers direct entry to second year (https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/study-options/ug/degree-routes/direct-entry/), do you think that you would be able to graduate with that as part of a joint degree even though you didn't study it in first year?
Original post by galaxyemma
Is there a way to do a joint degree if you only started one of the subjects in year 2? For example, if in year 2 you started a course that offers direct entry to second year (https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/study-options/ug/degree-routes/direct-entry/), do you think that you would be able to graduate with that as part of a joint degree even though you didn't study it in first year?

That's a tricky question best asked by someone from the uni. As far as I know, 2nd year direct-entry students just take the regular 2nd-year modules which normal students are not allowed to take until we've done the first-year pre-requisite modules. You would have to get special permission to take them in second year without having done the first-year modules, and I don't know anyone who's ever done that. No idea if it's possible, though I'm guessing it would be a pretty heavy uphill battle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending