Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

To cut a a very long and tedious story short, because my uni is within commuting distance, various trouble with bill sharing and general problems with sharing a house last year i decided to stay at home instead of staying at the uni house. I also was the only contact with the landlord as he rubbed the others up the wrong way and i was the only one left who he could bother.

The landlord was obviously annoyed and said i had to find a replacement or pay the rent. I found several replacements which he turned down but eventually he accepted and the guy moved in. I thought this was job done but he then said "in order to release me from the contract i would have to pay an inconvienience fee of 3 months rent". At this point it told him that ive fulfilled his original demands to leave the contract and that his attempting to get more money wasnt on and put the phone down on him.

He phoned me 6 - 7 times over the next few days bothering me and then left a message saying that i was now out of contract but he wants to clarify a few things with me Should i bother to reply to him now i am out of contract as i dont want to put up with his constant phonecalls and moaning at me about other housemates etc.

So after a bit of an essay, what do you guys think would be a good idea.

1. Ignore his calls now as i no longer am in contract and really dont want to speak to him

2. Answer his calls and find out what he could possibly need to clarify ?

thanks x

ReputationRep:
    If you have fulfilled your contract and don't want to speak to him any more, don't. It might be best to clarify though, but perhaps send him a letter (sending it by recorded delivery will be an added bonus!) rather than speaking via phone. However you choose to communicate with him, unless you are required to do anything by your contract, make it clear to him you want him to stop contacting you, and any further communication will be classed as harassment.. Hopefully that will shut him up.

ReputationRep:
    Save the message where he told you that you are released from the contract! Wait and if he does not contact you futher, than great, if he does then speak to him to see what he wants, if he gets agressive then shout back and hang up and if he is still making demands then threatent to go to the citizens advice bearu. Which if need be you can actualy go to.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys you've helped me out. I really dont want to speak to him at all but if it means he gets to have his say and then leaves me alone then all the better. Ive saved the message where he says im sorted so thats all good and the C.A.B idea is brill too if needs be

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to speak to him, you don't have to. Human rights? But i usually seek advice from a solicitor and take it from there, 6-7 times depending the various of time length between them could be considered to be harrasement. True, you and him have the issue to be sorted out and by that, ignoring him will not help as he will use the evidence against you in court if he decides to bring it up the matter making you the bad person. Yes as titanium suggest, go to citizens advice bearu, make evidence, notifications of time and when he called, record them, etc. Make sure you don't tell him what your up to Who knows you may backfire him at court but thats for judge, jury to decide

ReputationRep:
    yeah ive already made a note of the calls. A few of them were ridiculously early (5.30am) in the morning but he's stopped calling now. I dont think he has any reason whatsoever to try and take me to court as ive fulfilled his contract and have the voicemail to prove it. Cheers for the advice though

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.