The Student Room Group

How to become a barrister?

What are the steps to become a barrister?
Next year, I am doing Undergraduate course- LLB. What should I do after 3 years of LLB?
Original post by Sad student
What are the steps to become a barrister?
Next year, I am doing Undergraduate course- LLB. What should I do after 3 years of LLB?

According to National Careers Service (https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/barrister), you will generally go and do a one-year bar training course, then you spend another year training called pupillage under a barrister.
The bad news is that this is super ultra competitive, and you will be competing against hundreds/thousands of applicants. I'd start networking as early as you can with barristers.
Hello

The NCS says that the basic one year training pathway is totally recommended. In order to study pupillage in more detail a experienced barrister will teach you for another year. But this is a really competitive area of work to enter however. And the number of candidates and applicants who are still trying to break into the sector will soar into the millions at least. My advice is to make brief notes and be patient.
Focus on learning about the skills that are required for a career in law as well for now. Read up on the different job descriptions for starters and personal specifications. Be aware you may not make it. See if you can brush up on your interview skills and do up your resume in preparation for next year in case. Do your homework in other words.
You stand a far better chance that way. Check out some websites of a few different local lawyer firms in advance and take it from there. Pay attention to what is not being said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending