The Student Room Group

My parents don't support my A level choices

For the past year I've been extremely set on wanting to do history, french, and politics for A level as I enjoy these subjects a lot and think I can do very well in them. So when I told my parents about it they were so against it and said that I should do maths/sciences since they think the subjects I like won't get me anywhere in life, even when they know how boring I find them and how much I struggle with them.

My parents aren't really the type to listen well (asian things :/) so I really don't know what to do because I want to spend these next two years doing something I really enjoy otherwise I know I'm not going to do well, I just don't know how to get them to understand that.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by anonhehe
For the past year I've been extremely set on wanting to do history, french, and politics for A level as I enjoy these subjects a lot and think I can do very well in them. So when I told my parents about it they were so against it and said that I should do maths/sciences since they think the subjects I like won't get me anywhere in life, even when they know how boring I find them and how much I struggle with them.

My parents aren't really the type to listen well (asian things :/) so I really don't know what to do because I want to spend these next two years doing something I really enjoy otherwise I know I'm not going to do well, I just don't know how to get them to understand that.

You could maybe look into what you might want to do after A levels with those subjects, to show your parents clearly that you can get somewhere in life with them? Like specific degree/career options etc.

Doing maths and sciences won't get you far if you don't like them (and hence can't get good grades in them), so doing respected subjects that you enjoy is a much better option.

STEM/Science subjects are better to be honest
tell them what boris johnson did for his degree and then see what they think
Original post by Ella10092

No
Listen, it’s your life at the end of the day and those options you chose are really good! They can’t physically change your choices

no, not really. for some careers yes but some they aren't necessary in the slightest
Do you know what you would like to do at university?
It's your life and education, not theirs. It's just ignorance on their part, really. Try not to pay attention to it.

They would apparently rather you struggle through a degree you hate just because they think it nets you more clout and that sort of nonsense, it wouldn't be a very sensible decision.

No. This pisses me off so much. STEM subjects will only be better if you intend to go into medicine or sciences otherwise they will be totally and utterly ****ing useless. You should do respected subjects that you enjoy at A level and then go into a career with those afterwards rather than take STEM subjects, fail and get nowhere in life. After all, 3 A*s in humanities will always get you further than 3 Es in STEM.
(edited 3 years ago)
hey I get the Asian parents thing, these are perfect subjects for law and that's a really respectable profession, and if not you can always say you want to be an academic/ work in academia later on
Original post by natasha_13822
No. This pisses me off so much. STEM subjects will only be better if you intend to go into medicine or sciences otherwise they will be totally and utterly ****ing useless. You should do respected subjects that you enjoy at A level and then go into a career with those afterwards rather than take STEM subjects, fail and get nowhere in life. After all, 3 A*s in humanities will always get you further than 3 Es in STEM.

I agree. I don’t get the blind obsession over ‘STEM’ the stem graduate I know now works at a pub...

Your message really did not help
Original post by John Sergie
Your message really did not help

If someone mentions stem again I’m gonna throw myself off a cliff lmao
Reply 14
Original post by YaliaV123
Do you know what you would like to do at university?

I have a rough idea, I really want to do something like law/international relations/political science etc. I genuinely think I'd do well in them and enjoy them :smile:
I have a rough idea, I really want to do something like law/international relations/political science etc. I genuinely think I'd do well in them and enjoy them :smile:

If you want to go into Law, then your subject combo is perfect!
Tell them that. Especially as Law doesn't really have any specific subject requirements, so you need the best grades possible which you're more likely to achieve with the subjects you chose & enjoy rather than STEM.
Whatever happens, you need to go with what you want to study. It’s your life and you have to live with your choices, not just for these two years, but looking to future opportunities.

Not everyone is into STEM and that’s okay.
Original post by ashtolga23
Whatever happens, you need to go with what you want to study. It’s your life and you have to live with your choices, not just for these two years, but looking to future opportunities.

Not everyone is into STEM and that’s okay.

STEM seems horrific anyway lol
Reply 18
Good thing you didn’t pick chemistry, it’s so depressing😔
Reply 19
trust me a levels are very hard, if you don't enjoy the subjects you do, not only will you get exhausted, you wont perform as well. ask your parents to choose between A*/As in your subjects vs barely passing the ones you dont enjoy. you can also ask your teachers to support you and speak to your parents?

Latest