The Student Room Group

UX design vs HCI

Hello,

I am considering a career change and am considering UX to be the industry I’d like to get into. Can anyone advise what would be better a masters in UX or HCI (human computer interaction)? And could anyone advise on any courses, ideally I’d like one where I’d have a strong portfolio at the end for prospective employers. Thank you!
Reply 1
Hello!

I'm assuming you're looking at getting into UX Design?

I've applied to HCI courses to get into a career in UX. HCI and UX are very closely related, and I don't think choosing one program over the other matters very much (although I haven't seen any courses advertising themselves as a Masters' in UX; could be an oversight on my part, though).
There's a thread going on which discusses HCI courses in the UK, you could check that out to get a better idea. I myself am an international student more geared towards UX Research, so probably not the best source of information for you :s-smilie:

I had looked at a few jobs in UX Research before COVID, and they had mentioned a preference for degrees in HCI, cognitive science, or organisational psychology. I selected the unis I'm applying to by looking at their course offerings and deciding how they would align with my own interests. So, I was looking for courses involving industrial research, qualitative and quantitative research methods, and electives in data science (personal interest).

I'd suggest you start looking at different programmes and really pay attention to the courses they're offering. It's usually on one of the front pages, with links to more detailed descriptions. HCI in itself is a very hands-on course, and I believe any projects you would work on during your time at uni would be adding to your portfolio.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending