The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Using Arch at the moment, but have used fedora in the past. You?
My ex would love all of you Mac/Linux lovers! He despises Windows with a passion. I'm starting to as well - the stupid dual hard drive thing made my computer really slow because I'd filled up one hard drive and had no idea how to re-route everything to the next one. Luckily, he did some funky stuff and made all my pictures and documents and music save to the E: instead of the C: and I now have two half full drives. It's silly though. And now my Vista service pack won't install - I looked up the error code on the help and they'd mysteriously left it off. I then googled it and it turns out that the only solution is to reinstall Vista completely. Thankfully, he's also going to sort that out when he comes to visit me in Cambridge. Good job I have such a good techie friend :p:
Reply 982
I'm scared. Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared.
I don't want to go any more :frown: Well, I want to be there and happy and settled in with friends and knowing what I'm doing and coping with the work etc, but I don't want to go through the hard and scary process of getting to that point. :frown:
Scared.
Reply 983
zedliv
I'm scared. Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared.
I don't want to go any more :frown: Well, I want to be there and happy and settled in with friends and knowing what I'm doing and coping with the work etc, but I don't want to go through the hard and scary process of getting to that point. :frown:
Scared.

:hugs: :hugs:

Everyone will be in the same situation, and you'll probably be happy and settled in before you realise it.
zedliv
Scared.

Don't you worry my lovely, it will all be fine :smile: Every single person I've met who's going has been absolutely lovely, really friendly and willing to chat. I know exactly how you're feeling - I think we've all been through patches like this, but I promise you, it will be great. After a couple of days it will feel really natural :smile: The work will be hard but you're up to it! And they've had 800 years of dealing with students, they know how to help us settle in :smile: It WILL be fine, don't worry :hugs:
Reply 985
56k warning!

Spoiler

My desktop. <3 fluxbox and conky.
Reply 986
zedliv
Scared.

Yeh I'm kinda worried about the first few days as well; the act of randomly chatting without knowing anything about someone is something that I've seldom done in my life so I'm not really sure wtf I'm going to do about that lol. Also I absolutely hate small talk, so that's going to be a problem as well. So I'm in the same boat; and I think loads of people will also be as well, and if that's the case, then hopefully everyone will empathise and speed things along? :smile:
Reply 987
zedliv
Scared.

I know exactly how you feel. You are not alone :hugs:
zedliv
Scared.

:hugs: I know how you feel.
Scipio90
Using Arch at the moment, but have used fedora in the past. You?

Ubuntu... tried Kubuntu for a while, but I dont like KDE...

Dont worry Zedliv, the first week might me tough, but you'll settle in very quickly, how can someone as nice as you not make friends? And I'm sure the worlkload will be manageable for you :biggrin: :biggrin:

Hugs
Reply 990
Ah, thanks everybody :smile: I feel a bit better now!
thegluups
:shifty: Why would you say that?

That was the first thing to go in lol

Just thought I'd better remind you :p:

smilepea, it'll be fine :smile: You'll get everything packed in no time and if you haven't finished the workbook, I'm sure there will be others who haven't either :cool:
Reply 992
thegluups
Ubuntu... tried Kubuntu for a while, but I dont like KDE..

I prefer gnome to KDE, but I only need X for firefox and occasionally the gimp, so I prefer something lightweight. Plus, orange/brown = eurgh, and I feel more comfortable with a community rather than a corporate distro.
zedliv
Scared.

You''ll be fine, I promise :hugs: I've had the same kind of panic on today, so I'll medic panic with you, if you like :smile: Failing that, we could both be each other's calming influence... everyone finds the first term hard but we'll all be in the same boat (we'll all be thinking it even if some people don't say anything and look like they're the epitome of the well adjusted student!)

Chocolate helps...or that was my remedy this evening :love: Pizza, films with my sister and chocolate have worked wonders so far :biggrin:
I find doughnuts are better than chocolate. Time for my romantic evening alone with my Russian textbook :love:
I'm not really a doughnut fan :s-smilie: Though if I were to eat them, custard ones are best :smile:

Have fun with your Russian textbook :biggrin: I've got to get offline for a bit so I'll reply to your PM later, sorry :hugs:
Reply 996
*stars and stripes*
You''ll be fine, I promise :hugs: I've had the same kind of panic on today, so I'll medic panic with you, if you like :smile: Failing that, we could both be each other's calming influence... everyone finds the first term hard but we'll all be in the same boat (we'll all be thinking it even if some people don't say anything and look like they're the epitome of the well adjusted student!)

Chocolate helps...or that was my remedy this evening :love: Pizza, films with my sister and chocolate have worked wonders so far :biggrin:

Hehe, thanks, I thik I might veer towards medic panic than being a calming influence. Unless saying that I'm panicing too can calm somebody down? :s-smilie:
And you must have smelt the pizza from here! Now for chocolate... And my sister is already at uni :frown: But I have all you lovely TSR people to calm me down :smile:

Speaking of medic panic, do you know what set you'll be in? Somebody I met at one of the coming up parties knew her set (from Trinity Hall). Somebody on here said that Trinity medics will probably be in M17 or 18, but that's not definite.
Scipio90
I prefer gnome to KDE, but I only need X for firefox and occasionally the gimp, so I prefer something lightweight. Plus, orange/brown = eurgh, and I feel more comfortable with a community rather than a corporate distro.

Yeah, I see what you mean...

I've modified my version enough, so it looks like Dark Vista... so.. to be honest, I tried Ubuntu at first because it made the transition from WIndows to Linux less scary, and then I guess I just stuck with it.

To be honest, my new computer is powerful enough, so I don't have to worry about something lightweight... and I do like Compiz etc. Also, I tend to prefer graphic mode to console.. it's a lot easier to use DIsk manager than having to manually mount it...

Having said that, Xubuntu is great for a very old laptop I have...
Reply 998
thegluups
Yeah, I see what you mean...

I've modified my version enough, so it looks like Dark Vista... so.. to be honest, I tried Ubuntu at first because it made the transition from WIndows to Linux less scary, and then I guess I just stuck with it.

To be honest, my new computer is powerful enough, so I don't have to worry about something lightweight... and I do like Compiz etc. Also, I tend to prefer graphic mode to console.. it's a lot easier to use DIsk manager than having to manually mount it...

Having said that, Xubuntu is great for a very old laptop I have...

I've heard good things about XFCE, so I might try that sometime. I've got this box working well, though, so I'm not really in a hurry.
Zoedotdot
I find doughnuts are better than chocolate. Time for my romantic evening alone with my Russian textbook :love:

Krispy Kreme doughnuts!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending