The Student Room Group

Electronics vs Chemistry vs Biology

Sorry if this is one more of them AS-Level Choices threads. I've just started Sixth Form and we are about 2 weeks in to the AS.

Basically I'm stuck with a decision. It's between Electronics and Chemistry. Hopefully providing that I do well this year, I want to go study Computer Science at somewhere like Imperial College in London :yep:. It seems like the ideal University for me.

Currently these are my A-Level Options:
- Maths (and Hopefully FM, not too sure yet)
- Computer Science
- Economics
- Chemistry or Electronics (I want to drop this option when I go to A2)

Now we are around 2 weeks in to Chemistry and I've seen the whole text book and it all seems so :eek:. It looks real real complicated :woo:. Although I want to do a Science to help boost my Application.

I have been given the option to do Electronics with AQA by my GCSE Teacher and I've been giving it a LONG HARD thought and can't make up my mind. My GCSE Teacher has mentioned many times I was one of his star pupils and I will fly this A-Level providing I do the work (Which I most undoubtedly will) :o:

On one hand, It seems like a requirement to do a Science Based Subject to get in to a decent Uni like Imperial. But on the other hand I am not entirely sure about Chemistry. I currently haven't missed out on any material so far in Electronics since it's just started (Long story!) so basically changing my mind will hopefully not tread on too many toes

Also apparently Electronics is classed as a Science, not too sure about that but Electronics is on Imperial's Good A-Level list.

So any advice? Chemistry AS or Electronics AS?
Reply 1
I do think Chemistry will be a lot more respected tbh. Haven't really heard much of electronics but i'd check, if I was you, some unis lists that show subjects that aren't really well respected such as ''blacklists''///you never know I might be way off and it might be a well respected subject but just check!!

I like Chemistry although there are many people that do find the subject hard!!..as long as you are capable and a hard working student i would suggest chemistry however go with what suits you best :smile:
Reply 2
electronics is a no no.
Reply 3
I agree, Chemistry would probably be the better option. It may look hard, but you'll realise that it's just like any subject really, pure memory [except maybe a few moles calculations, but you can just memorise the formulae as well].
Reply 4
Thanks everyone for their advice on the matter. Appreciate it loads. Another thing has come up. I found out that there is a Biology Class being held during my Chemistry Lessons so I was wondering if I should change to that. How is AQA Biology AS compared to Chemistry AS

Last year I did real well in Biology Additional Science and got A* and really understood what I was talking about. Of course, this year is going to be harder but is Biology AS a MASSIVE step from GCSE Biology?
Biology AS has a lot of content to learn but it is generally easier to understand the concepts than Chemistry AS. (I think it's personally a lot more interesting than chemistry too. :p:)
Reply 6
Original post by &#946
Biology AS has a lot of content to learn but it is generally easier to understand the concepts than Chemistry AS. (I think it's personally a lot more interesting than chemistry too. :p:)

That's my exact problem, I can't grasp the Chemistry Concepts quickly enough at the pace my teacher is going and I guess that would be a problem when it comes to the exams :woo:

I agree with you on Chemistry being amazing, but it's concepts are difficult. I guess it's true when people say that Chemistry comes naturally to some :eek:
Chemistry can be difficult. I struggled with it and to be honest I never completely understood it, but if you are willing to work hard then you can get a good grade in it. Getting a decent textbook which explains the concepts in detail is helpful I found.

Latest