Penguin06
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm a 2nd year psychology student at the Uni of Reading. I live in Birmingham outside term time. My 3rd year consists of a placement which i'm required to seek myself.

I want to go into clinical psychology so need a good placement relevant to this. Can anyone help me out? I'm struggling to find one.

Thanks in advance
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Try and get something that has supervision of a clinical psychologist
Penguin06
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Try and get something that has supervision of a clinical psychologist
Yeah I'm tryna get like assistant clinical psychologist or honorary clinical research assistant but it's just hard to find lol

I've been emailing hospitals and that but many say no or don't reply.

Careers advisors have been helpful.
jenerous
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Is the placement year included in the course you're doing? I thought the Universities who provide a placement year would assign, or at least, substantially help find the placement. Otherwise, how is it any different than doing three years at any other University and then, finding work for yourself.

Sorry, I know this is not answering your question, but I really thought that was why students chose Universities with the placement year option.
Please do clarify if I'm mistaken.
Lord Asriel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Generally, if a university offers a placement year, there is a placement support coordinator who liases with various potential supervisors and advertises placements. This is how we offer placements in our service, and they help with paperwork, DRB checks and make sure everything is running smoothly. The system protects both the service but also the undergraduate on placement.

Is it the case that there is no placement coordinator, or are there no placements you want through the university? If they are not through the university, I will imagine it is quite hard and the risk is that you end up in a placement that is really exploitative.
Penguin06
Rep:
?
(Original post by jenerous)
Is the placement year included in the course you're doing? I thought the Universities who provide a placement year would assign, or at least, substantially help find the placement. Otherwise, how is it any different than doing three years at any other University and then, finding work for yourself.

Sorry, I know this is not answering your question, but I really thought that was why students chose Universities with the placement year option.
Please do clarify if I'm mistaken.
Placement year is included yes. The school actually release internal and external adverts they have links with. I'm applying for these but also want to branch out in case I don't get the place.
Penguin06
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lord Asriel)
Generally, if a university offers a placement year, there is a placement support coordinator who liases with various potential supervisors and advertises placements. This is how we offer placements in our service, and they help with paperwork, DRB checks and make sure everything is running smoothly. The system protects both the service but also the undergraduate on placement.

Is it the case that there is no placement coordinator, or are there no placements you want through the university? If they are not through the university, I will imagine it is quite hard and the risk is that you end up in a placement that is really exploitative.
We have a really helpful coordinator. I think I was just really stressed at the time of writing this oops...
I do wanna branch out externally in case I'm not accepted for the adverts the uni have released.
Penguin06
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Update: I got it
Freddie_Mercury
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Which psychology placement were you successful in obtaining?

Congratulations!

(Freddie Mercury Fan)
eduorclinpsych
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Freddie_Mercury)

Congratulations!

(Freddie Mercury Fan)
(I love your username)
Penguin06
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Freddie_Mercury)

Congratulations!

(Freddie Mercury Fan)
Thank you

I'll be shadowing therapists, clinical psychologists and other staff in the psych department of a hospital
Freddie_Mercury
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by eduorclinpsych)
(I love your username)
Hi! Thank you so much! I love your username, too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (80)
38.1%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (23)
10.95%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (14)
6.67%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (51)
24.29%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (26)
12.38%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise