The Student Room Group

Can I learn 3 languages at university?

I am leaning towards applying for the Chinese and Japanese Studies BA at Leeds university, however, its entry requirements are AAA-AAB and a foreign language. I'm predicted BBC (with no languages) at A Level and intend to take an art BTEC next year, but this combined course doesn't seem to accept BTECs as a qualification. I know that I DEFINITELY want to learn Japanese, and will have JLPT N3 (intermediate, basically the equivalent to A Level) at the time of applying.

There is also the option of taking BA Chinese and Thai Studies (I am SO desperate to go to Leeds and learn two languages and take two years abroad!) Its entry requirements are only ABB, they accept BTECs, and no foreign language is required. So the question is, should I risk applying for the other course or this one? Would I have the time to become fully proficient in Japanese?

TL;DR if I took BA Chinese and Thai Studies at university and am already at intermediate-level Japanese (and perhaps more advanced in two year's time after an art BTEC), would I be able to self-study Japanese and become fluent alongside the two other languages?
There are some three language degrees but they are normally for European languages. I think you would find it hard to find a three language degree studying Asian, Middle Eastern or African languages. The closest I think you would come would be studying dialects or other forms of one of the languages, or combining classics (which incorporates two languages) with another language (however I think there are not many places you can study non-European languages with classics).
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
There are some three language degrees but they are normally for European languages. I think you would find it hard to find a three language degree studying Asian, Middle Eastern or African languages. The closest I think you would come would be studying dialects or other forms of one of the languages, or combining classics (which incorporates two languages) with another language (however I think there are not many places you can study non-European languages with classics).

Oh, that's true! That sounds like a nice idea.
I'm just really interested in the East Asian languages (it would be so amazing to be fluent in Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Thai!). I love the idea of learning all the new alphabets too.

I do have another two years until university though, by which point I could start studying JLPT N2 (2nd to top level out of the 5 Japanese language levels). I just don't think I'd stand a chance of getting onto the Chinese and Japanese course that I'm interested in (because I may end up with lower than BBC at A Levels, and they don't accept BTEC alternatives for this particular course only).
Original post by YatoSan
Oh, that's true! That sounds like a nice idea.
I'm just really interested in the East Asian languages (it would be so amazing to be fluent in Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Thai!). I love the idea of learning all the new alphabets too.

I do have another two years until university though, by which point I could start studying JLPT N2 (2nd to top level out of the 5 Japanese language levels). I just don't think I'd stand a chance of getting onto the Chinese and Japanese course that I'm interested in (because I may end up with lower than BBC at A Levels, and they don't accept BTEC alternatives for this particular course only).

Studying multiple languages simultaneously is quite challenging academically so do bear that in mind. I would probably suggest it is better to start learning fewer languages, and get a very strong background in that language and in language learning generally, then pick up the other languages later, than start with all of them in one go and end up missing nuances in the grammar of that language or subtleties in the best ways to study a language at all, in the process of trying to just cram all the vocab and grammar of all your languages.

Also Asian language degrees rarely if ever require any prior background in the language beyond perhaps familiarising yourself with some of the script in the summer before starting, and some such language degrees actually do not have the ability to cater to students with more than ~GCSE level in that language due to the structure of the course and range of modules available. So it is better perhaps to focus more on your current A-levels, and developing the general transferable academic skills which will give you the foundation from which to engage in any form of university level study, including languages, than trying to become very (perhaps excessively, as far as the degrees go) proficient in the language(s) in question.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Studying multiple languages simultaneously is quite challenging academically so do bear that in mind. I would probably suggest it is better to start learning fewer languages, and get a very strong background in that language and in language learning generally, then pick up the other languages later, than start with all of them in one go and end up missing nuances in the grammar of that language or subtleties in the best ways to study a language at all, in the process of trying to just cram all the vocab and grammar of all your languages.

Also Asian language degrees rarely if ever require any prior background in the language beyond perhaps familiarising yourself with some of the script in the summer before starting, and some such language degrees actually do not have the ability to cater to students with more than ~GCSE level in that language due to the structure of the course and range of modules available. So it is better perhaps to focus more on your current A-levels, and developing the general transferable academic skills which will give you the foundation from which to engage in any form of university level study, including languages, than trying to become very (perhaps excessively, as far as the degrees go) proficient in the language(s) in question.

Ah I guess that is true, perhaps I should be more sensible about this. I do pick up languages quite naturally but I suppose I would still have a lot of work to do in five years. If I wanted to do the JET program for 5 years, then that would be a good time to become fluent in Japanese.

Haha I also want to be good at art/ animation, so I need free time for that too!
Hello again :biggrin:! Could you do a Modern languages degree? They offer up to 2 languages, most of them do Chinese and Japanese
Reply 6
Original post by hootdoot04
Hello again :biggrin:! Could you do a Modern languages degree? They offer up to 2 languages, most of them do Chinese and Japanese

Hello! Ooh that is an option! The year abroad in BOTH countries at Leeds just sounds really great though, which I think was the deciding factor for me (well, perhaps it shouldn't be!)

But do you know if some of them accept BTEC qualifications combined with lower A Levels?? I've seen a lot that don't :frown:
Original post by YatoSan
Hello! Ooh that is an option! The year abroad in BOTH countries at Leeds just sounds really great though, which I think was the deciding factor for me (well, perhaps it shouldn't be!)

But do you know if some of them accept BTEC qualifications combined with lower A Levels?? I've seen a lot that don't :frown:

I think they might! I’m doing a level 3 btec and a level spanish and I’m planning on doing MFL at uni :smile: keep your hopes up! Grades aren’t the only determining factor
Reply 8
I think they might! I’m doing a level 3 btec and a level spanish and I’m planning on doing MFL at uni :smile: keep your hopes up! Grades aren’t the only determining factor

Oh that's good news! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look around and see what I can find :h:
Original post by YatoSan
Oh that's good news! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look around and see what I can find :h:

I think you need at least DDM to do the modern languages courses
Reply 10
I think you need at least DDM to do the modern languages courses

How about if it's combined with my A Level grades? Do you think it would still need to be DDM (if they look at UCAS points?)
Original post by YatoSan
How about if it's combined with my A Level grades? Do you think it would still need to be DDM (if they look at UCAS points?)

I’m not sure as I haven’t applied (year 12 rn) but if you’re doing your btec rn then I’d try to get the best grade possible. A level 3 btec is worth 3 a levels so maybe
Reply 12
I’m not sure as I haven’t applied (year 12 rn) but if you’re doing your btec rn then I’d try to get the best grade possible. A level 3 btec is worth 3 a levels so maybe

Oh sorry, for some reason I thought you were at uni already :biggrin:

I'm doing 3 A Levels and THEN a BTEC (it'd still be free because I applied under the age of 19)
Original post by YatoSan
Oh sorry, for some reason I thought you were at uni already :biggrin:

I'm doing 3 A Levels and THEN a BTEC (it'd still be free because I applied under the age of 19)

No unfortunately not at uni :frown: ! I’m sure that’ll work :smile:
Reply 14
No unfortunately not at uni :frown: ! I’m sure that’ll work :smile:

Thanks for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending