Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This thread is just intended as some kind of stress reliever. Perhaps you have been rejected, or pooled where you expected an offer, or even given an offer which you feel you can't achieve. Ultimately, here is the place to shout and scream about university, and indeed, oxbridge, or even more specifically Cambridge.

I'll make a start. Not one person that I know has got an offer from Cambridge, and yet 3 people have from Oxford at my school. These 3 people are by no means more intelligent than those who applied to Cambridge. Indeed a friend of mine at Eton studied Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Further Maths at AS - he achieved above 290/300 for each (he even got a scholarship to go to Eton in the first place!). He is predicted 5 As at A2, is at the top of his year at Eton, a genuinly nice guy, utterly modest and altruistic - and yet ambitious and conscientious. He failed to get into Medicine, whereas others I know who got into Oxford were neither as intelligent, nor as interesting/nice/well-rounded. Anyway, all this proved to me is how much the process is based on luck, mistakes and subjectivity.

Lol, I don't think I need to tell you that I got rejected!

ReputationRep:
    Nice to have you back after that brief absence :hello:

I agree about the luck thing to some extent, but only because most people applying are good so it's kinda down to luck who gets in. I think if someone really thick applied, no amount of luck would get them in - luck only comes into it because people are so similar in other (academic) respects. That's a complete ***** about your eton friend - *is actually in disbelief*.

What I think is really strange / scary about the whole thing is the extent to which whether you get in or not depends upon the other applicants and not yourself. For example, Newnham (apparently) only gives out one or sometimes two offers for philosophy, so no matter how brilliant I had been at interview, chances are I wouldn't have got an offer if just one other applicant had come along and performed a lot better (through luck, skill, or otherwise). To me, that's weird. I can see how it makes sense, but it's another way in which luck can come into it - it's kinda about who you're up against. (Although, again, I think if you were just really, really bad you wouldn't be lucky - they'd probs just fish from the pool).

ZarathustraX

ReputationRep:
    http://education.guardian.co.uk/oxbr...126508,00.html

ReputationRep:
    I'm furious that I didn't get a Trinity letter on friday, and have to wait until Tuesday. Not only that, but because I go away to school, I won't even get to open my own letter. And the lack of closure means I haven't been able to work all holiday.

ReputationRep:
    Very well said :congrats:

ZarathustraX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juxtapiped)
    This thread is just intended as some kind of stress reliever. Perhaps you have been rejected, or pooled where you expected an offer, or even given an offer which you feel you can't achieve. Ultimately, here is the place to shout and scream about university, and indeed, oxbridge, or even more specifically Cambridge.

I'll make a start. Not one person that I know has got an offer from Cambridge, and yet 3 people have from Oxford at my school. These 3 people are by no means more intelligent than those who applied to Cambridge. Indeed a friend of mine at Eton studied Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Further Maths at AS - he achieved above 290/300 for each (he even got a scholarship to go to Eton in the first place!). He is predicted 5 As at A2, is at the top of his year at Eton, a genuinly nice guy, utterly modest and altruistic - and yet ambitious and conscientious. He failed to get into Medicine, whereas others I know who got into Oxford were neither as /intelligent, nor as interesting/nice/well-rounded. Anyway, all this proved to me is how much the process is based on luck, mistakes and subjectivity.

I think Medicine is uber competitive and I think tutors are consequently prepared to reject a candidate on the smallest of mistakes. One of my friends gained 12A*s at GCSEs, 5As at AS, is a brilliant musician, perfect applicant in so many ways (and genuinely friendly and nice to talk to) rejected (outright) for Cambridge medicine too. I really feel that a good slice of luck goes a long way in a Cambridge application.

Competitiveness is a huge factor; those who applied for popular subjects (Im particularly thinking of Law, Medicine, Architecture, Philosophy and Economics), may have gained a place at another college, for another subject.

I also feel, that all those without Oxbridge offers should not despair, and not it as a personal failure. Too much is made of the supposed superiority as institutions of Oxford and Cambridge, while in reality, not getting in means absolutely nothing of your intellectual capacity. You are no less intelligent than those who gained entry; what simply happened is an interpretation of your intelligence in what really, amounts to less than one hour of contact time. How can a stranger tell the product of 3 years work in what may amount to less than one hour of contact with you?

The way to get over your rejection is too prove your superiority in your performance of your degree over Cambridge graduates. If you are truely able, then you will be able to succeed whatever the conditions.

Well, those are the thoughts that Im trying to use to get over it. Its not working though!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

One question though, is it alright to write to the college and ask why you were rejected (or get interview notes)?

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely.
    But it's easy for me to applaud of course, and I know I would have been extremely disappointed if the words of joy in my signature were not there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lottelo)
    I think Medicine is uber competitive and I think tutors are consequently prepared to reject a candidate on the smallest of mistakes. One of my friends gained 12A*s at GCSEs, 5As at AS, is a brilliant musician, perfect applicant in so many ways (and genuinely friendly and nice to talk to) rejected (outright) for Cambridge medicine too. I really feel that a good slice of luck goes a long way in a Cambridge application.

Competitiveness is a huge factor; those who applied for popular subjects (Im particularly thinking of Law, Medicine, Architecture, Philosophy and Economics), may have gained a place at another college, for another subject.

I also feel, that all those without Oxbridge offers should not despair, and not it as a personal failure. Too much is made of the supposed superiority as institutions of Oxford and Cambridge, while in reality, not getting in means absolutely nothing of your intellectual capacity. You are no less intelligent than those who gained entry; what simply happened is an interpretation of your intelligence in what really, amounts to less than one hour of contact time. How can a stranger tell the product of 3 years work in what may amount to less than one hour of contact with you?

The way to get over your rejection is too prove your superiority in your performance of your degree over Cambridge graduates. If you are truely able, then you will be able to succeed whatever the conditions.

Well, those are the thoughts that Im trying to use to get over it. Its not working though!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

One question though, is it alright to write to the college and ask why you were rejected (or get interview notes)?
    I believe you can get an applicant report. That might help you a) Decide whether to reapply and b) comfort you if they still thought you were good.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I'd ask my head of sixth-form to do that. I think they prefer to undertake correspondence with them, apparently. Anyway, if you do that it shouldn't be a problem - I know my school offers to do it for people (esp. if it's people they really think should have got in!)

ZarathustraX

EDIT: *inspired idea* Ask Adhsur - I'm sure I picked up from some thread or other that she got feedback before reapplying!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a little frustrated, because I put in a poor performance at interview and given different Maths questions i.e. more Mechanics/Number Theory than weird spacial awareness problems to do with shapes, I could've performed a lot better. Imagine my further frustration when I found that out these questions came up last year as well. :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    I am SO incredibly bitter about this. The ONE, SINGLE interview I've ever just messed up so completely. *Shakes head in despair*. I have offers from other really good unis, and I don't want to take a gap year, so I'm going to save myself the stress of re-applying and just deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the most ridiculous thing is taking a year out and re-applying for the sake of Oxbridge is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm just bitter full stop lol. Nah I am upset and angry at myself for subconsciously setting my heart on this place.
    I am a Medicine applicant and like many people have already said- with those 12A*'s, 5A students have rejected- you really wonder what those who got in had that others lacked!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the most ridiculous thing is taking a year out and re-applying for the sake of Oxbridge is ridiculous.
    how uncalled for. i reapplied to cambridge and don't appreciate someone belittling my achievements thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but I agree with Juxtapiped. I mean how can one possibly take a whole year out simply to apply to oxbridge. I mean the chances will be the same as the previous year and so its too much of a risk when you look at the consequences involved. Obviously this doesn't take anything away from those who did reapply and get in but when you look at the many others who are rejected again you have to wonder was it worth it?

ReputationRep:
    I agree - I wouldn't take a year out unless I'd been rejected by other places too. As it is, I have an offer from Imperial College for Physics with Theoretical Physics, and I'm sure I'll have a fantastic time there. So, while I wait to hear the results of the pool, I have already moved on and am happy

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would be more tempted to try and get in postgrad.

ReputationRep:
    Thats good to hear!! I have to wait till tuesday because the letter didn't arrive on Friday! I took the next stage up personally and decided with my parents that IF i were to get a deferred offer from cambridge i'd most probably reject it purely because i do not want to take a year out until after my studies at the earliest.

ReputationRep:

I'll make a start. Not one person that I know has got an offer from Cambridge, and yet 3 people have from Oxford at my school. These 3 people are by no means more intelligent than those who applied to Cambridge. Indeed a friend of mine at Eton studied Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Further Maths at AS - he achieved above 290/300 for each (he even got a scholarship to go to Eton in the first place!). He is predicted 5 As at A2, is at the top of his year at Eton, a genuinly nice guy, utterly modest and altruistic - and yet ambitious and conscientious. He failed to get into Medicine, whereas others I know who got into Oxford were neither as intelligent, nor as interesting/nice/well-rounded. Anyway, all this proved to me is how much the process is based on luck, mistakes and subjectivity.

Did he get an interview?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would be more tempted to try and get in postgrad.
    Yes, I was thinking along the same lines. Out of curiosity it is "easier" to get a place in the sense that less mature students apply to Mature colleges and numbers are lower overall?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.