The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
stephx
how uncalled for. i reapplied to cambridge and don't appreciate someone belittling my achievements thanks.

i have to agree, there are all sorts of people who have tried again for things and succeeded second third and fourth time around. im not saying people should continue to reapply for decades but look at people like the beatles and JK Rowling who changed the world but were messed around for ages beforehand. if you dont mind taking a year out and can find some good things todo then it can be an enjoyable experience. i could have ended up at manchester and although i would have had a good time i believe i will have lots more fun and have benefited hugely from a year out
notyourpunk
i have to agree, there are all sorts of people who have tried again for things and succeeded second third and fourth time around. im not saying people should continue to reapply for decades but look at people like the beatles and JK Rowling who changed the world but were messed around for ages beforehand. if you dont mind taking a year out and can find some good things todo then it can be an enjoyable experience. i could have ended up at manchester and although i would have had a good time i believe i will have lots more fun and have benefited hugely from a year out

Its only worth re-applying IF you make your gap year worthwhile.
Reply 22
Let me tell you my story, probably very different from that of all the other applicants.

I was born in the middle of a war in Afghanistan. As I was growing up the war became more intense, rockets started falling nearby, relatives got killed and so forth. There I was caught in the middle, unable to get an education because my mother feared for the life of her only son. So for the first 12 years of my life I got no education whatsoever. Neither of my parents was educated, so they couldnt teach me. My dads business went to bits thanks to the rockets of the Taliban that landed on his factory. So they couldnt afford private tuition either.

When I was 12 we left Afghanistan in fear of our lives. Upon landing on British soil, I could neither read or write, I was completly illiterate. But over the last 5 years i worked hard got 5A*'s and 6A's at GCSE. Then I got 5 A's at AS (Sciences and Government and Politics). I achieved all of that in a state school. I applied for medicine at Cambridge. Got rejected. Its not that I am unsuited to the profession, I already have offer and interviews from other universities.
Reply 23
Eels
Let me tell you my story, probably very different from that of all the other applicants.

I was born in the middle of a war in Afghanistan. As I was growing up the war became more intense, rockets started falling nearby, relatives got killed and so forth. There I was caught in the middle, unable to get an education because my mother feared for the life of her only son. So for the first 12 years of my life I got no education whatsoever. Neither of my parents was educated, so they couldnt teach me. My dads business went to bits thanks to the rockets of the Taliban that landed on his factory. So they couldnt afford private tuition either.

When I was 12 we left Afghanistan in fear of our lives. Upon landing on British soil, I could neither read or write, I was completly illiterate. But over the last 5 years i worked hard got 5A*'s and 6A's at GCSE. Then I got 5 A's at AS (Sciences and Government and Politics). I achieved all of that in a state school. I applied for medicine at Cambridge. Got rejected.

Are you serious?
How did the interviews go?
Reply 24
Yes I am serious. My interview, from my judgement was fine. I was able to answer most of the questions.
Reply 25
Score in BMAT?
Eels

When I was 12 we left Afghanistan in fear of our lives. Upon landing on British soil, I could neither read or write, I was completly illiterate. But over the last 5 years i worked hard got 5A*'s and 6A's at GCSE. Then I got 5 A's at AS (Sciences and Government and Politics). I achieved all of that in a state school. I applied for medicine at Cambridge. Got rejected. Its not that I am unsuited to the profession, I already have offer and interviews from other universities.

That is some achievement. Well done. Try not to see your rejection as a personal attack on your suitability to medicine however, rather see is it as an interpretation of your suitability for cambridge.
Reply 27
Eels
Yes I am serious. My interview, from my judgement was fine. I was able to answer most of the questions.

Is there any reason you can think of for a rejection, umm lack of work expierience, english qualifications (might be a bit harsh) I'm just trying to find something. Otherwise I really suggest you get your teacher to get your interview/application notes or whatever and if you still don't have an idea contact media...
Reply 28
My english is fine, I am extremly fluent and my accent is that of a Londoner. I got AA in English and English Lit at GCSE. I had 2 work experience placements, so i dont think thats a problem.
Reply 29
But what did you score in BMAT? It's most likely that that's the issue.
Reply 30
5.4 5.2 7.5
Reply 31
That's not really less than many others with offers, 6 was supposed to be a good score? And certainly under the circumstances...?
Reply 32
ponjavic
Is there any reason you can think of for a rejection, umm lack of work expierience, english qualifications (might be a bit harsh) I'm just trying to find something. Otherwise I really suggest you get your teacher to get your interview/application notes or whatever and if you still don't have an idea contact media...

Contact the media, how brilliant so they can have a field day at proving that Oxbridge is [insert racist, anti private school, anti whatever) there are limitations on the number of people oxbridge can take who are not EU citizens and i believe that would possibly make it more competitive. no one can really say for sure why they got rejected or got in and contacting the media, as pervious cases demonstrate is normally anything but productive
hitchhiker_13
I agree - I wouldn't take a year out unless I'd been rejected by other places too. As it is, I have an offer from Imperial College for Physics with Theoretical Physics, and I'm sure I'll have a fantastic time there. So, while I wait to hear the results of the pool, I have already moved on and am happy :smile:

Hi guys,

Last year I applied to 6 universities to study law. 5 of those rejected me; one of which being Cambridge. The only one that did accept me was Sheffield - a good uni but a little close to home and below what I thought I could achieve.

I'd gained AABe for my AS Levels and was so determined to do well throughout my A2 year, that I came out with AAAa after dropping the AS Level and taking up another.

This year I've received AAA grade unconditional offers from Warwick and Leeds (and awaiting replies from Nottingham and Durham. I was rejected by Cambridge (again!). While I would have loved to have gone there, and feel I've lost out on something I based all my dreams around for the past 2 years, I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Why should I let myself be labelled inferior just because I failed to be one of the 223/1244ish applicants to receive an offer? I've found myself at a disadvantage for the past two years just because I love a subject so much that I want to study it at University.

Just remember: the flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all.
Reply 34
ponjavic
Otherwise I really suggest you get your teacher to get your interview/application notes or whatever and if you still don't have an idea contact media...

to be honest - i think the 'contact the media' idea is a truly terrible one - you'd just end up being used as a pawn for whatever agenda journalists/politicians/campaigners other people have & i doubt it would achieve much either for uni admissions or you personally.

definitely request feedback - though i wouldn't pin all your hopes on this being particularly enlightening. & tough as it may sound, there may not be some specific negative factor that caused you not go get an offer - merely the other applicants were judged to be 'better'.

I agree with Lottelo's sentiments.. medicine offers are hard to predict - each uni seems to wnat something different.. how are your other applications going? :smile:
Reply 35
5.2 is average, Cam is incredibly competitive for medcine; most people probably had 5 As at AS, sometimes they have to make hard decisions.
Reply 36
I'd like to read about it in an article did I not have access to TSR, just my 50 cents though
Reply 37
I have no intentions of becoming a pawn in the debate on oxbridge admissions process. So i am definitely not contacting the media.

I got an offer from Imperial, my 2nd choice. So I am happy.
Reply 38
ponjavic
I'd like to read about it in an article did I not have access to TSR, just my 50 cents though

extra, extra..read all about it..

'Cambridge University have an abundance of good applicants & reject the majority of them!'

unless you have some sort of angle or political point to make (which is what both notyourpunk & i were trying to say probably isn't especially productive to individuals applicants or the uni).. i don't see how this earth shattering fact warrants media coverage..? :wink:

unless perhaps a detailed breakdown of all the academic & personal factors of all applicants should be published in the papers & readers could call hotlines to vote on who they deem to be the most worthy? hmm, should we have accompanying photos too? i'm being slightly ridiculous here, i know, to emphasise my point.. :p:
Reply 39
great then :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending