Year12Studentt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I applied to KCL for PPE. I was hoping to hear back before the January 15 deadline, but after speaking to admissions I was told that is unlikely.

I currently have one space left on UCAS and I planned to use this to apply for KCL’s Political Economy course if I was unsuccessful for PPE. If I did not get an offer for PPE, could I ask KCL to consider me for Political Economy or would I have had to have made it a formal choice on my UCAS form?
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Year12Studentt)
I applied to KCL for PPE. I was hoping to hear back before the January 15 deadline, but after speaking to admissions I was told that is unlikely.

I currently have one space left on UCAS and I planned to use this to apply for KCL’s Political Economy course if I was unsuccessful for PPE. If I did not get an offer for PPE, could I ask KCL to consider me for Political Economy or would I have had to have made it a formal choice on my UCAS form?
Why don't you just add it anyway? If you're successful I imagine you want to go to KCL (since you're considering applying for another course if unsuccessful), so you won't need the extra option, and if you're unsuccessful you have that additional KCL backup ready.

They could potential consider you if you asked, but they have no obligation to whatsoever, so it would be best just to apply through UCAS for both.
Year12Studentt
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by Interea)
Why don't you just add it anyway? If you're successful I imagine you want to go to KCL (since you're considering applying for another course if unsuccessful), so you won't need the extra option, and if you're unsuccessful you have that additional KCL backup ready.

They could potential consider you if you asked, but they have no obligation to whatsoever, so it would be best just to apply through UCAS for both.
I just did not want to waste this space if it was not necessary. I’ve seen people be rejected for PPE but offered Politics or Philosophy and I was just thinking if they would do a similar thing for Political Economy (it is quite competitive too).
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Year12Studentt)
I just did not want to waste this space if it was not necessary. I’ve seen people be rejected for PPE but offered Politics or Philosophy and I was just thinking if they would do a similar thing for Political Economy (it is quite competitive too).
I'm not sure about offering alternative courses I'm afraid, but at the end of the day you can only go to one of your choices - you already have 3 non-KCL choices, so you have plenty of options whether you apply to 2 KCL options or just the 1.
dogester
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I did exactly this last year, and exactly this happened. Got rejected for PPE but got a position for PE after having applied for both. I genuinely believe that they checked that I had applied for both and rather gave me PE as it is slightly less competitive and as a result rejected me from PPE.

It's a good move, as while both of them are quite competitive, I would much rather have got in for PE than a random other course like sole-politics or philosophy. And while I do prefer PE over PPE course-wise, I would have picked it anyways, if you are very passionate for PPE specifically, it's a bit risky. While I have no proof, I genuinely believe they saw I was a strong applicant and rather wanted me in PE because its slightly less competitive and they could've given the PPE spot to another student.

If you still have a free spot, I'd do it. PE and PPE are very similar, and PE is, from what I have experienced more tough and bases politics so much better than PPE, which is an area KCL is known for. We have a module based on political philosophy/theory too, if you crave philosophy, we still do it. Highly recommend, I'm very glad KCL offered me PE rather than PPE.
Last edited by dogester; 8 months ago
Year12Studentt
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by dogester)
I did exactly this last year, and exactly this happened. Got rejected for PPE but got a position for PE after having applied for both. I genuinely believe that they checked that I had applied for both and rather gave me PE as it is slightly less competitive and as a result rejected me from PPE.

It's a good move, as while both of them are quite competitive, I would much rather have got in for PE than a random other course like sole-politics or philosophy. And while I do prefer PE over PPE course-wise, I would have picked it anyways, if you are very passionate for PPE specifically, it's a bit risky. While I have no proof, I genuinely believe they saw I was a strong applicant and rather wanted me in PE because its slightly less competitive and they could've given the PPE spot to another student.

If you still have a free spot, I'd do it. PE and PPE are very similar, and PE is, from what I have experienced more tough and bases politics so much better than PPE, which is an area KCL is known for. We have a module based on political philosophy/theory too, if you crave philosophy, we still do it. Highly recommend, I'm very glad KCL offered me PE rather than PPE.
I would prefer PPE - I know after the first year I can chose to just continue on with Politics and Economics. I am really interested in Political Economy too though.

I’m nervous hearing your story. I feel that if I apply for Political Economy, I will be rejected from PPE - as they did to you. I was hoping to use my final choice on a less competitive uni (just to be on the safe side).

I really don’t know what to do now, the deadline is so soon!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads