Mavs04
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi, I’m a bit confused about why the resistance of a filament lamp increases with current (and therefore with temperature).

I know that the current can be the flow of any charged particle, like through a metal it’s the delocalised electrons or through a molten/aqueous ionic compound it’s the ions, but through a filament lamp is the current the flow of delocalised of electrons or the flow of metal ions - I’m pretty sure the metal ions aren’t free to move (apart from vibrations) - but just checking lol.

But if this is true then I’m really confused about how it’s possible that the resistance of an nct thermistor decreases as temperature increases! 😭

Ty!
Last edited by Mavs04; 4 months ago
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mavs04)
Hi, I’m a bit confused about why the resistance of a filament lamp increases with current (and therefore with temperature).

I know that the current can be the flow of any charged particle, like through a metal it’s the delocalised electrons or through a molten/aqueous ionic compound it’s the ions, but through a filament lamp is the current the flow of delocalised of electrons or the flow of metal ions - I’m pretty sure the metal ions aren’t free to move (apart from vibrations) - but just checking lol.

But if this is true then I’m really confused about how it’s possible that the resistance of an nct thermistor decreases as temperature increases! 😭

Ty!
The atoms in a conductor are fixed and electrons delocalise, as you say, with increasing temperature. However, the fixed atoms gain vibrational energy. This also means more atomic collisions occur to capture free electrons and thus making it more difficult for them to move through the structure. i.e. resistance increases with temperature.

NTC Thermistors are constructed from semiconductor materials where covalent bonds dominate the atomic structure. Outer (valance) band electrons are shared and bonds are formed between three, four or five atoms. As temperature increases, electrons from lower energy bands gain energy and are promoted to the outer valence (conduction) band. NB the electrons are not delocalised but hop between shared bond atoms. More electrons for conduction are then available for conduction through that valence band electron sharing. i.e. More valence electrons = more available to migrate = greater current and hence resistance decreases with increasing temperature.
Last edited by uberteknik; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (18)
8.74%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (125)
60.68%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
14.56%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (29)
14.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (4)
1.94%

Watched Threads