The Student Room Group

I have some questions on bonding and structure for A level

1. Does NaF or Na2O have a higher melting point?
2. Which bond is weaker and why? Pb-Cl or Pb-F
1) Sorry, a thirty second search-engine search gave me all that info, is there a reason why you need help in this - hint one melts a couple of hundred degrees more than the other.....
2) guess which one!

If you post YOUR ideas, then we can come back with some further assistance, should you need it

(Oh, and before using some similar chemicals to these, I used to phone the local hospital to inform them that I was starting my experiments) (and I got the ‘antidotes’ ready)
Reply 2
I would say sodium oxide has the higher melting point, oxide ion has 2- charge and not much difference in size between fluoride ion and oxide ion. So really it comes down to which will have the strongest attraction for a sodium ion, a 1- ion or a 2- oxide ion, its got to be the oxide ion.

PbCl bond I think will be the weaker of the 2 I. Lead is a big atom and fluoride is small so bonding I think likely to be mostly ionic with some covalent character as the fluoride ion is likely to distort the large lead ion. If you had say lead iodide, two large atoms then bonding is could be covalent mostly in nature, as the halide ion gets smaller bonding is likely to become more ionic in nature with some covalent character, the more ionic the bonding I would say the stronger the bond will get!
Sorry best I can do!

Quick Reply

Latest