MelWS
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
hi! those of you who have done or are doing a level chemistry, what grades did you get in science gcse, and how are you finding a level chemistry?
thank you
Raja12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by MelWS)
hi! those of you who have done or are doing a level chemistry, what grades did you get in science gcse, and how are you finding a level chemistry?
thank you
hey I got 7-7 in combined science trilogy. I chose biology, chemistry, geography and core maths for a levels. I find chemistry really interesting and am currently in year 13 (content is a bit harder in year 13). The grades im currently getting are As. Chemistry at a level is fine if you are able to do calculations and put in the work. I know people who got 9s in biology and chemistry but are now getting Ds and Cs. Just put in the work and you are going to succeed.
Nataliee_cotts
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi!
I am taking a level: Maths, Physics and Chemistry
I think that the first year of chemistry a level is okay. Most of it is recap of GCSE chemistry and a bit extra knowledge and application. The second year I think is a bit harder but if you have a good understanding of first year you will do well. At GCSE I got
Chemistry - 8
Maths -8
I think these two subjects are the most important but the other sciences may aid you. I would definitely suggest doing maths at a level to make the maths in chemistry a piece of cake.
Destinexx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi, I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I am in Year 13
Chemistry has a bad reputation as being really hard, but honestly, i find it pretty good, and I might do it at university.
For every topic test, go on physicsandmathstutor and do all the questions, making flashcards, and you will do well. Just stay on top of it.
(Further maths is the hard one! - but still doable)
Nataliee_cotts
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Destinexx)
Hi, I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I am in Year 13
Chemistry has a bad reputation as being really hard, but honestly, i find it pretty good, and I might do it at university.
For every topic test, go on physicsandmathstutor and do all the questions, making flashcards, and you will do well. Just stay on top of it.
(Further maths is the hard one! - but still doable)
I completely agree with what is said here!!
AelinGalanythius
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by MelWS)
thank you
Hi, I'm in year 13 and I am taking Bio, Chem and Psychology. Last year I took Maths but dropped it.
My GCSEs were:
Chem-9
Maths-8
Bio-9
For me, honestly I really struggled with chemistry in yr 12. I got an E in my first test and in my December mock I got a C. The content seems difficult at the time but if you take the time to really go over EVERYTHING and ask when you don't understand -email teachers, text friends, read textbooks, watch youtube videos and use the chemguide website, you will find it so much easier. I'm now getting As and the thing I changed was practice questions. I did literally no practice questions last year so my technique sucked and when I was answering questions, I had no idea what examiners were looking for. Honestly, I can't recommend enough doing practice questions (as suggested above Physics and Maths tutor is great, it breaks down practice questions into each topic). I presume you are thinking about taking A level chem?
As for the person above who said maths makes chemistry easy, I respectfully, lol, couldn't disagree more. I loved maths at GCSE but at A level I found it ridiculously hard. I continued with maths until we'd finished the content as my chem teachers said it was really important but looking back, I wish I had dropped sooner. The only part that was perhaps useful was logarithms but even then, using them for pH calculations, you don't have to understand what they do, you just have to know what they are and the inverse of them.
In Yr 13, the content is definitely more challenging but it's not crazy and for edexcel, most of it is building on knowledge you already have. (e.g. acids and bases topic builds on equilibria).
I wish you all the best if you decide to take a level chem! Honestly I'm loving it now but it has definitely been a love/hate relationship and even my friend who is getting A*s says she feels the same!
Last edited by AelinGalanythius; 9 months ago
issy.rrrrrrrr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by MelWS)
thank you
I got a 9, chemistry is easy if you understand the basics and if you’re good at maths. The people who struggle the most in my class are those who don’t do maths particularly in some topics. As long as you know the basics from GCSE it’s an easy a level to pick up. You do need to be confident with it now at GCSE though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads