ReputationRep:
    UCL
    Manchester
    Bristol
    Demontford
    Aston
    Leeds

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about Bristol's accom, but the buses here are crap.
    Still a good city though, if you live near the centre. Loads of gigs, and shops and pubs.

ReputationRep:
    cool

I have checked all the prospectuses e.t.c but its not the same as actually being in the uni or knowing some1 who goes to one.

I want to take my car to uni, does anyone know if i will have any free safe parking

ReputationRep:
    I can only comment on Manchester.
    The accommodation varies depending on where you choose innevitably some is very good some is not so good. Depends what you are looking for.
    At manchester there are secure car parks, depending on your choice of accommodation, where you can park

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if many other universities operate on the samee system as Bristol. I mean if i were to go to Bristol I'd be unlikely to get a place in their halls of residence because i live here, so would other unis do that aswell?

ReputationRep:
    Having looking at the accomodation websites of those uni's, Manchester has the best accomodation.

ReputationRep:
    From what i know so far, Bristol seems to have the best (location-wise anyways)..Alot of accomodation of Manchester are in *****y areas i've been told (so bigger range of quality, although ofcourse there are ones in decent areas).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saagar)
    I was wondering if many other universities operate on the samee system as Bristol. I mean if i were to go to Bristol I'd be unlikely to get a place in their halls of residence because i live here, so would other unis do that aswell?
    Most if not all of the unis I have looked at have had that approach to it.
    I know in some of them it would be a chance of halls or shared house in the first year, and not everyone gets the halls. (this is for people not living near the city)
    Most unis will offer accom to all or most of first year students but doesn't have to be halls, could be shared housing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    From what i know so far, Bristol seems to have the best (location-wise anyways)..Alot of accomodation of Manchester are in *****y areas i've been told (so bigger range of quality, although ofcourse there are ones in decent areas).
    Manchester's is in fallowfield mainly I hear. This is an alright area. Very studenty. A bus ride away from the academic departments. Fortunately there is a bus something ridiculous like every 8 seconds (not exaggerating). And the bus is cheap. So that seems to work really well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    UCL
    Manchester
    Bristol
    Demontford
    Aston
    Leeds

Would suggest that you make a point of visiting some accomodation on the post-application Open Days.

Looks like you're in for quite a varied tour of the country !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Manchester's is in fallowfield mainly I hear. This is an alright area. Very studenty. A bus ride away from the academic departments. Fortunately there is a bus something ridiculous like every 8 seconds (not exaggerating). And the bus is cheap. So that seems to work really well.

Fallowfield used to be very rough but the students have taken over and its now a much safer place. Its still a bit groty though although it must be heaven for an 18 year old student, all them bars, take aways and the Willmslow Road bus service which could possibly be the best in the world.

If anywhere in the world has a better bus service there would have to be no cars on the road and the buses would line up line by line.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol's accommodation is a very good standard. It's based in 2 main areas; Clifton and Stoke Bishop. Clifton is closer to the university, but you pay more for it. Also, the majority of first years live in Stoke Bishop, so you get more of a community feel to it.

The only other one I've visited from them is Manchester (Dalton-Ellis Hall), and that was good as well.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i should of went into more detail of what i'm looking for

My main criterias are:
    15 min walk to uni max, if its 20-30 then carpark space is needed
    Ensuite
    Low number sharing each flat area 4-6 ish
    Not too bothered about amount of pubs e.t.c
    I hated the area around aston when i visited, it looked so dull and depressining, i don't think i could live in that sort of area happily [sorry im fussy lol]

I have £200 week on accomandation alone budget [self catered]
    £50 food per week

UCL looked best for me so far, i'm going bristol next tuesday. I think Bristol will be a nice place, i'm not to sure about manchester though, issit similiar to birmingham?

ReputationRep:
    issit similiar to birmingham?
    Manchester is alot more compact than Birmingham. Alot more continuous ya know? Like the city is very obviously the city. And they would probably disagree but I think Manchester is on the whole alot more pretty/less grotty =P

ReputationRep:
    15 min walk to uni max, if its 20-30 then carpark space is needed
    Be prepared to pay Clifton prices in Bristol then - not particularly cheap (not that Stoke Bishop prices are either). Clifton's about 10 mins from the Uni precinct, Stoke B is 40 mins on foot.

ReputationRep:
    I've visited Aston and it seems to be in a near perferct location, right next to the city centre of Brum but still looks like it could be quite self-contained like a proper campus uni.
    Should visit Leeds this month and maybe Bristol if they give me an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    Bristol's accommodation is a very good standard. It's based in 2 main areas; Clifton and Stoke Bishop. Clifton is closer to the university, but you pay more for it. Also, the majority of first years live in Stoke Bishop, so you get more of a community feel to it.

The only other one I've visited from them is Manchester (Dalton-Ellis Hall), and that was good as well.
    Woo! Dalton-Ellis! that's where i live! well...I live in Pankhurst Court, the self-catered block across the road, but technicially i'm still a Dalton-Ellis-er...

I can only really comment on Manchester, but the accomodation is generally pretty good...

ReputationRep:
    cool, hopefully i get an offer @ leeds this month or an interview. That would be my insurance offer so i hope it's a nice area.

Everyone keeps telling me how nice aston is, i just couldn't see it. It just looked too dark, didn't look very pleasant. The accomandation itselk (lakeside) is quite nice though.

The ensuite @ clifton [yellow type hall looks pretty good] i think it's one of the most expensive but as i don't have to pay tution fee's and get bursaries on top of the money i saved up, i might aswell enjoy my uni life to the max.

ReputationRep:
    The ensuite @ clifton [yellow type hall looks pretty good] i think it's one of the most expensive but as i don't have to pay tution fee's and get bursaries on top of the money i saved up, i might aswell enjoy my uni life to the max.
    Goldney?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, that's the one. Do you know if it is good or not, in your opinion?

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.