Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Today is my second day at uni, my first full day as I moved in yesterday and I am really missing home. I cried myself to sleep last night. At the moment I could feel like I could just drop out now and have no regrets. I've said all these weeks I can't wait to go, now I can't wait till christmas so I can go home.

I don't really want to drop out in an ideal world as I would disappoint myself and my family would be disappointed...I wouldn't mind so much if I were in a university closer to home so I could go home on the weekends or something but I can't here when the train fare is like 60 pound for a return.

ReputationRep:
    :hugs:

Try getting a webcam. I talk to my parents whenever I want on Skype using it, it's a real help cause you can see them and it's almost like having a face to face conversation.

ReputationRep:
    Stick with it. I promise it gets better. I was horribly homesick the first few weeks at uni, but the more you get into your new life, the easier it will be. Keep yourself busy, have a ton of fun and in a couple of weeks you won't remember why you were upset.

I also found it easier to not go home. The more I went home, the more I wanted to stay there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bgriffin)
    Today is my second day at uni, my first full day as I moved in yesterday and I am really missing home. I cried myself to sleep last night. At the moment I could feel like I could just drop out now and have no regrets. I've said all these weeks I can't wait to go, now I can't wait till christmas so I can go home.

I don't really want to drop out in an ideal world as I would disappoint myself and my family would be disappointed...I wouldn't mind so much if I were in a university closer to home so I could go home on the weekends or something but I can't here when the train fare is like 60 pound for a return.
    :hugs:
    I've been feeling pretty homesick lately too.
    Have you tried talking to anyone about it? I had a good chat yesterday with some friends and I'm feeling a bit better about it all.
    Also, you could get a railcard. Gives you some discount off train fares so it'll be cheaper if you want to go home for the weekend.
    If you ever wanna talk, you can always PM me

ReputationRep:
    im bit hone sick too atm and tbh havet really eaten proper meals for around 4 days now but i am gunnu stick it out another 2 weeks or so and see what my course is like 1st before i make my mind up. I mite go home every other weekend cos i get friday and most of thursdays off, but i rather stay around bit longer at weekends to see what goes on as i really like the social side. But on the other hand tho i having 2nd thoughts of why i came to uni as i dont think this type of studying is me as but you just gotto stick these things out.

ReputationRep:
    I'll see what I'm like by the beginning of next week. If I'm really unhappy still I'll have a word with my dad. Knowing him he'll probably say If I'm unhappy I should just come home

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll regret it if you go home. Actually, strike that, I'm almost positive you'll regret it. You have to give it a good few weeks, see how your course goes, make some friends and get into a bit more. It's only the second day, and everything is new, so of course you feel a bit weird - I imagine it's the first time you've lived away from home. Please give it a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, everyone gets homesick (as Ive said in another post, happens in the upper years as well, but to less of an extent). I went home at the end of freshers last year, and it was a slippery slope from there, Id say give it a few weeks, and it'll be fine once you get into your group.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, don't drop out yet, you'll regret it. I was really homesick when I first started but it passes once you get into lectures etc.

I'll pass on some advice I got, if you make it through the first 4-6 weeks you will survive until graduation.

ReputationRep:
    Use your phone - I was ringing my parents several times a day back then, and tbh I think they missed me more than I missed them, but it probably helped. Make the effort to go out and meet people and it will be a good distraction.

ReputationRep:
    It's a normal reaction I'd imagine unless your used to being away from home all the time....I was ok at first when my dad left me because I was distracted from being with a mate...although yeh I felt a bit homesick the first time I was left in my bedroom by myself...I don't really miss home as such but I miss seeing my family on a daily basis..that's probably going to take a while to get used to. I still miss home, but now that I've made loads of new friends and we've been going out, it's got a little bit easier. Stick in there mate!

(Original post by Bgriffin)
    I'll see what I'm like by the beginning of next week. If I'm really unhappy still I'll have a word with my dad. Knowing him he'll probably say If I'm unhappy I should just come home
    I think pretty much everyone feels homesick at some point, it's only natural
    What I would say is stick it out, wait more than a week. Uni takes a little while to get into the swings of things and once you've made a good group of friends and settled into your lecture schedule, you'll really begin to like it. You're bound to feel unsettled and a little off your normal self, after all...you're in a new place, with people you don't know and, in most people's case, it's their first time living away from home.

Soon, you'll begin to love your independence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMed)
    Yep, everyone gets homesick (as Ive said in another post, happens in the upper years as well, but to less of an extent). I went home at the end of freshers last year, and it was a slippery slope from there, Id say give it a few weeks, and it'll be fine once you get into your group.
    Exactly. This is my 3rd year of uni, second here and I still get homesick now. It's just one of those things that happens to 99% of people. Best bit of advice is to not go home. You'll naturally get used to it and whilst it's not the nicest time it's really a benefit in the long term.

I find it hard having been home all summer and then leaving again as I'm so close to my parents. I hate change aswell so that doesn't help. Some people are just like that and it's tough. I feel sorry for everyone who does get homesick, but like me I'm sure you'll be fine in a few days/weeks. Every second that passes it will kind of ease a little.

I'm only 25 miles away from home so getting home's not a problem, my Dad also works near to the uni so I can get him to pop in whenever I ask him. This week though I won't while I settle in again. I'll go home this weekend to watch the football but then come straight back afterwards to avoid staying at home long.

ReputationRep:
    Surely there are some people out there though that do drop out because they miss home so much, just not suited to university life?

I wish my family could come and visit, or I could pop down but 50/60 pound a ticket to get from Liverpool to Peterborough and back is..not good.

ReputationRep:
    Yes there are. An ex of mine left after a few weeks but carried on at uni studying from home making an hour trip every day as she missed home that much. She's happy like that. I've got plenty of mates who stay at home aswell and travel into uni.

OVer the next few weeks some will drop out because they don't like it, but really I wouldn't make a judgement so quickly. Give it a month or 2 and you'll probably feel much better. It took me a month or so to get used to it and things got better from then. I still felt down some times but then I would have at home too.

ReputationRep:
    Dude you will feel absolutely awful for a little while, but please do stick it out. I can be home again for less then hour, and with my dad working 20 minutes down the road, all it takes is a single phone call. However, it isn't beneficial because it makes it that much harder to come back here and I don't feel comfortable again until midweek (assuming I get back Sunday night).

I wanted to drop out so badly, and I have been completely unsociable in halls because I am just too miserable to leave my room, but it is getting better as the days progress. Eventually it will become a second home.

If you miss your parents, call them regulary (or if like me it's difficult to do without breaking down on the phone, exchange email). Also, every 3-4 weeks, arrange to go home just so you know that safety blanket is never too far off.

ReputationRep:
    Its only natural with such a drastic change, see if you make some friends, give it a chance because you'll be better off in the long run. Im hiding too at the moment cause I cried a bit earlier today, probably wait till tomorrow to go out as I'm really not in the mood. I live 30 minutes away so I can go home if need be.

ReputationRep:
    I've made some friends already, in Dale Hall and McNair.

But I've had a word with my family, they saw stick it out, if it doesn't get better in a couple of weeks then decide what to do.

ReputationRep:
    :console:
    When I started last year I was homesick and was considering dropping out for the first month even though I met my amazing friends sson as moved in. I decided to stick it out though and love it! I'd regret it now if I dropped out.

ReputationRep:
    Have you got a TV in your hall' room? if so, keep watching friends (or anything else), it does the trick.. trust me, you'll know when you've had enough.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.