why does chlorine have lower boiling point than bromine

Watch
limitlesspuffy
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
My answer was "Chlorine has a smaller atomic radius which means it has weaker van der waals forces which is why it has a lower boiling point than bromine"

However according to the mark scheme i will only get 1/2 marks for saying it has a smaller atomic radius. The other mark is for saying that "The forces between chlorine / Cl2 molecules are weaker (than the forces between bromine / Br2 molecules)"

The mark scheme also says QoL in M2 for clear reference to the difference in size of the force between molecules.
Reference to Van der Waals forces alone is not
enough.

So why is mentioning van der waals wrong then since i'm just being more specific about what type of intermolecular force it is????

Here is the link to the question and mark scheme if you need it (Question 1d)
http://www.phoenix-tutoring.co.uk/da...-CHEM2-Q01.pdf

Helppp plssss
limitlesspuffy
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
anyoneeeeeeeeee
golgiapparatus31
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Marking scheme required mention of the fact that the forces are intermolecular. Just add a reference to the fact that the vdw forces are between Cl2 molecules.
limitlesspuffy
Rep:
(Original post by golgiapparatus31)
Marking scheme required mention of the fact that the forces are intermolecular. Just add a reference to the fact that the vdw forces are between Cl2 molecules.
so if i put intermolecular forces (vdW) between molecules are weaker , that would be okay?

Or would just van der waals between cl2 molecules be okay as well?
golgiapparatus31
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by limitlesspuffy)
so if i put intermolecular forces (vdW) between molecules are weaker , that would be okay?

Or would just van der waals between cl2 molecules be okay as well?
Yup, both things you said would earn you the 2nd mark.

The first mark is for a reference to size or number of electrons. (to explain why the IMFs are weaker)
Destinexx
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Cl2 and Br2 only have weak van der waals intermolecular forces of attraction.
Br2 has a larger atomic radius, further down group 7, so Br2 is a bigger molecule than Cl2
Therefore, Br2 has greater v.d.w intermolec forces
Therefore more energy is required to overcome them, hence Br2 has a higher mp
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (67)
33.5%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
27%
No (52)
26%
I'm not sure (27)
13.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed