The Student Room Group

I’ve quit sixth form

My mental health got really terrible at sixth form because of the workload, I was barely going to lessons and I couldn’t be asked to do anything because I lost interest in the things that I was supposed to enjoy. Now mostly everyone that I know is still in sixth form whereas I’m just sitting there at home basically doing nothing because its very difficult for me to think about which college I should go to next, and I’m just so scared of what people will think of me. I had plans to volunteer, I had dreams and all of these things that I wanted to do with my life but it all just fell apart somehow. I’m just no longer interested in basically doing anything because i don’t see the point in it anymore if I don’t want to put in the hard work. Tbh I’m better off being a man child. Should I reapply to a different sixth form in a year’s time and just chill this entire year? Or should I do something else. Idk what’s there for me anymore

Scroll to see replies

How on earth did you drop out of sixth form when you have to be in education till 18?
Anyway maybe college would be better for you as the hands on courses might hold your attention for longer
But don’t take a gap year. Because A I’m pretty sure it’s not allowed and B it’ll be harder to get going again if you sit on your arse all year
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by adeye
My mental health got really terrible at sixth form because of the workload, I was barely going to lessons and I couldn’t be asked to do anything because I lost interest in the things that I was supposed to enjoy. Now mostly everyone that I know is still in sixth form whereas I’m just sitting there at home basically doing nothing because its very difficult for me to think about which college I should go to next, and I’m just so scared of what people will think of me. I had plans to volunteer, I had dreams and all of these things that I wanted to do with my life but it all just fell apart somehow. I’m just no longer interested in basically doing anything because i don’t see the point in it anymore if I don’t want to put in the hard work. Tbh I’m better off being a man child. Should I reapply to a different sixth form in a year’s time and just chill this entire year? Or should I do something else. Idk what’s there for me anymore

Are you in Year 12? Do you have any passions/ future career aspirations you're working towards? Any motivations in life?
Reply 3
Original post by Purplemonkeys
Are you in Year 12? Do you have any passions/ future career aspirations you're working towards? Any motivations in life?

Yes I’m supposed to be in year 12. I want to do something creative or art based but I feel like I just don’t believe in myself anymore because I know that there are so many people out there that are better than me. I feel like I don’t have any sort of motivation.
What A-levels were you doing.
Wasting a year will cause you to lose momentum.
If i were you, i would consider self-study, if your parents allow you too.
Get some green tea, put "Pomodoro" on youtube, and get working - you would be surprised how much you can get done
Are you working on your mental health?
Reply 6
ROTL94 - It may be, but I feel like I need to be able to take a risk because my mental health matters more. Right now all I'm doing is staying at home, and I know it's just lazy behaviour, but not having a future for myself genuinely makes me feel better.
Reply 7
Original post by Destinexx
What A-levels were you doing.
Wasting a year will cause you to lose momentum.
If i were you, i would consider self-study, if your parents allow you too.
Get some green tea, put "Pomodoro" on youtube, and get working - you would be surprised how much you can get done

Thanks for the suggestion, I’m thinking of doing self study courses aka moocs online to learn but I don’t want to force myself to do work, I already know that I hate being forced into doing something.
I am fully aware that I may not come back to sixth form with proper momentum but I do know that the way that I managed my time, the workload and the overall pressure of sixth form and the way that I perceived all of this depleted my own mental health and for my own sake before I even made a suicide plan I decided to stop and put that on hold as I was working with a crisis team prior to leaving, and one of the staff suggested that I left for a year and took up volunteering. I know that I shouldve taken up a volunteering opportunity by now but I want to take it at my own pace. I’m not sure if the straight line path aka college->uni is right for me yet because of this experience. I am personally quite a lazy procrastinative individual and I know that while this year can be especially terrible in terms of actually doing something i know that I shouldn’t rush into it and take my time and actually think if I should do it because I know that I do require a lot of time to think things over.
Original post by adeye
Thanks for the suggestion, I’m thinking of doing self study courses aka moocs online to learn but I don’t want to force myself to do work, I already know that I hate being forced into doing something.
I am fully aware that I may not come back to sixth form with proper momentum but I do know that the way that I managed my time, the workload and the overall pressure of sixth form and the way that I perceived all of this depleted my own mental health and for my own sake before I even made a suicide plan I decided to stop and put that on hold as I was working with a crisis team prior to leaving, and one of the staff suggested that I left for a year and took up volunteering. I know that I shouldve taken up a volunteering opportunity by now but I want to take it at my own pace. I’m not sure if the straight line path aka college->uni is right for me yet because of this experience. I am personally quite a lazy procrastinative individual and I know that while this year can be especially terrible in terms of actually doing something i know that I shouldn’t rush into it and take my time and actually think if I should do it because I know that I do require a lot of time to think things over.

Yes i understand this - first of all, I'm really sorry that you have had these feelings
I think if you self-study at your own pace, in your own room, away from the stress and covid-19, you'll feel much better.
You'd be surprised how efficient you may become!
Best of luck
Reply 9
Original post by Vapordave
Are you working on your mental health?

Not this month, I’ve been listening to áudios called subliminals that might help me heal and develop a better mindset. I know it’s just strange of me to not actually do the thing that I’m supposed to do but I feel like I need to not force myself to fix it. I can’t force myself to do anything really because I’ll end up not doing it
Reply 10
Original post by WantBeAnonymous
How on earth did you drop out of sixth form when you have to be in education till 18?
Anyway maybe college would be better for you as the hands on courses might hold your attention for longer
But don’t take a gap year. Because A I’m pretty sure it’s not allowed and B it’ll be harder to get going again if you sit on your arse all year

I have no idea why they have let me drop out and why the government is not getting involved in my case or something, like I feel that college or sixth form isn’t right and this doesn’t feel right for me to do if I have previously experienced a lot of pressure, negative feelings and internal challenges because of my short experience with it. I’ve had days that I’ve missed lessons intentionally to not have to face the fact that I have an overwhelming workload, yes I have terrible time management skills and will probably never make it out in the “real world” where at least 80% of sixth form/college students end up. There might be a high percentage of drop out students that end up with low paying jobs but it doesn’t feel right for me to even go if I’m low and I’m dealing with terrible mental health consistently throughout my experience at sixth form. It may not seem right to you for me to drop out but if I continue to stay unhappy and unbothered about my education what’s even the point of it? When I constantly sabotage it what is even the point? It doesn’t feel like I need to have an education if I keep ruining everything for myself and always have terrible mental health. I know I’m being negative right now but internally that’s how I feel. I know that something may be better out there for me but internally I always feel like I have to do what everyone else does when that’s always making me feel unhappy and unsatisfied with myself because I’m always comparing myself to others in class and not fully focusing on myself because I’m afraid of what people will think if I take a different decision than follow the pack and honestly I only like the security that education gives me for the future not that I like anything that I’m doing. I’m not the type of person who will sit there and let myself be drowned by the pressures of sixth form if it isn’t making me happy and So if I sit on my ass for like a month rn and then build up the courage to take volunteering opportunities and other things to build my CV i feel like I’ll be better.
I know that it’s just wrong for people to not go to college, but it’s not making me happy. I know I won’t always be happy but if that **** is so consistent to the point where I’m having suicidal thoughts and feelings that I won’t have a future I need to address that first. I was assigned to a crisis team by my GP to see how they would make me feel and it seems as though I can’t do **** for me. It’s better for me to actually not even live lol I’m getting so vexed by this I’m sorry I just feel misunderstood and that I’m not explaining it well enough for you to notice that nothing that education does for me is ever going to make me happy.
I suggest look now if you can go and start college in January. You can't just sit at home all day because it is throwing your future away and you are going to throw away a precious year. Also you will fall into that lazy attitude and you might decide next year you aren't applying back so I'd suggest start back after christmas.

Good luck and remember no one can change your future other than you
Reply 12
Original post by Smart dumb kid
I suggest look now if you can go and start college in January. You can't just sit at home all day because it is throwing your future away and you are going to throw away a precious year. Also you will fall into that lazy attitude and you might decide next year you aren't applying back so I'd suggest start back after christmas.

Good luck and remember no one can change your future other than you

I can’t apply to college for next January it has to be for next September but I will phone various sixth forms to see if I can still have the chance to go back. I still do have doubts about it, and whether or not I might quit in Jan and I feel like it isn’t right for some reason. It didn’t make me happy last time and it may not make me happy this time.
Regardless though thank you so much for that last sentence.
Original post by adeye
I can’t apply to college for next January it has to be for next September but I will phone various sixth forms to see if I can still have the chance to go back. I still do have doubts about it, and whether or not I might quit in Jan and I feel like it isn’t right for some reason. It didn’t make me happy last time and it may not make me happy this time.
Regardless though thank you so much for that last sentence.

How old are you?
Original post by adeye
Not this month, I’ve been listening to áudios called subliminals that might help me heal and develop a better mindset. I know it’s just strange of me to not actually do the thing that I’m supposed to do but I feel like I need to not force myself to fix it. I can’t force myself to do anything really because I’ll end up not doing it

I think you need professional support as opposed to what I like to call placebos-at-best.
Reply 15
How old are you?

Original post by adeye

You have got plenty of time mate, I thought you were a bit older, you can probably afford to take a full year out but just don't fall in a lazy attitude and make sure you definately go back in September 2021
Reply 17
You have got plenty of time mate, I thought you were a bit older, you can probably afford to take a full year out but just don't fall in a lazy attitude and make sure you definately go back in September 2021

Original post by adeye
Yes I’m supposed to be in year 12. I want to do something creative or art based but I feel like I just don’t believe in myself anymore because I know that there are so many people out there that are better than me. I feel like I don’t have any sort of motivation.

What creative/art based things are you interested in???
Reply 19
Original post by Purplemonkeys
What creative/art based things are you interested in?

Basically fine art.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending