English literature coursework - Edexcel

Watch
samclark02
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Im doing my English literature coursework where I have to compare the Great Gatsby with the Age of Innocence and my question is“It is society that is invariably to blame for the tragedies which befall the protagonists and victims in novels.” Explore the causes of tragedy in the texts you have chosen and evaluate whether society is ultimately responsible.

So far my ideas is that Gatbsy's death was because of society and that Newland is forced to leave Ellen because of society and marries May

its 3,000 words and I have no ideas where to start, any ideas on how to write a thesis or anything really?
Purplemonkeys
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by samclark02)
Im doing my English literature coursework where I have to compare the Great Gatsby with the Age of Innocence and my question is“It is society that is invariably to blame for the tragedies which befall the protagonists and victims in novels.” Explore the causes of tragedy in the texts you have chosen and evaluate whether society is ultimately responsible.

So far my ideas is that Gatbsy's death was because of society and that Newland is forced to leave Ellen because of society and marries May

its 3,000 words and I have no ideas where to start, any ideas on how to write a thesis or anything really?
What level of study are you at? Also, think about the impact of tragedy on more than one character-such as Nick, who clearly lost a good friend and may even be traumatised because of the experience. Consider secret liaisons and how it was alright for Daisy's husband to be having an affair, but not her-perhaps show the role of women in society and expectations set upon women, the misogynistic double standards etcetera, and how this may exemplify the impact of tragedy and how it leads to the tragedy that is the ultimate downfall of Gatsby.

Structurally, there should always be three main sections of an essay: the introduction, the main body, and the conclusion. The introduction and conclusion should both serve as summaries of the main argument presented throughout the essay, and should only be 6-8 lines each (approximately, although this is merely rough guidance for you to work off).

3000 words feels quite overwhelming, so break it down into sections, paragraph by paragraph. The main body of the essay should contain approximately six or seven long paragraphs if the word quota for your essay happens to be 3000 words.

Please bear in mind the fact that I have only a vague recollection of The Great Gatsby and have never studied or analysed it academically. That being said, however, I am more than willing to assist you with your essay writing, and you can always reply to this post or personally message me if you feel as though you need more help in writing your essay.

Best of luck,
L x
samclark02
Rep:
?
(Original post by Purplemonkeys)
What level of study are you at? Also, think about the impact of tragedy on more than one character-such as Nick, who clearly lost a good friend and may even be traumatised because of the experience. Consider secret liaisons and how it was alright for Daisy's husband to be having an affair, but not her-perhaps show the role of women in society and expectations set upon women, the misogynistic double standards etcetera, and how this may exemplify the impact of tragedy and how it leads to the tragedy that is the ultimate downfall of Gatsby.

Structurally, there should always be three main sections of an essay: the introduction, the main body, and the conclusion. The introduction and conclusion should both serve as summaries of the main argument presented throughout the essay, and should only be 6-8 lines each (approximately, although this is merely rough guidance for you to work off).

3000 words feels quite overwhelming, so break it down into sections, paragraph by paragraph. The main body of the essay should contain approximately six or seven long paragraphs if the word quota for your essay happens to be 3000 words.

Please bear in mind the fact that I have only a vague recollection of The Great Gatsby and have never studied or analysed it academically. That being said, however, I am more than willing to assist you with your essay writing, and you can always reply to this post or personally message me if you feel as though you need more help in writing your essay.

Best of luck,
L x
thank you so much your points are so helpful! I am currently in year 13 doing my second year a level English lit xx
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello

Break it up. Use paragraphs to structure your entire essay. Consider the eventual impacts of tragedy on the reader and how it affects Nick too. Evaluate the effect of secret relationships on the other characters like Daisy as well. Talk about hypocrisy and double standards in addition. Write at least one paragraph on the events that lead to the downfall of Gatsby.
Purplemonkeys
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by samclark02)
thank you so much your points are so helpful! I am currently in year 13 doing my second year a level English lit xx
Okay, great! What grades are you currently achieving?
samclark02
Rep:
?
(Original post by Purplemonkeys)
Okay, great! What grades are you currently achieving?
B in English but I am hoping to get an A!
samclark02
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Hello

Break it up. Use paragraphs to structure your entire essay. Consider the eventual impacts of tragedy on the reader and how it affects Nick too. Evaluate the effect of secret relationships on the other characters like Daisy as well. Talk about hypocrisy and double standards in addition. Write at least one paragraph on the events that lead to the downfall of Gatsby.
Thank you so much!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
np
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (65)
12.15%
Virtual campus tours/open days (130)
24.3%
Live streaming events (46)
8.6%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.72%
A uni comparison tool (124)
23.18%
An in-person event when available (118)
22.06%