The Student Room Group

is it okay to only apply to 3 universities?

hi!
i'm currently studying a BTEC extended diploma. i'm applying to reading, brighton and westminster for Psychology w/ Foundation year.
i have other universities that i COULD apply to, but i wouldn't be happy to go to them, in all honesty.
is it wise to only apply for three? or should i apply to two more even though i don't really wanna go to them?
Original post by ouaei
hi!
i'm currently studying a BTEC extended diploma. i'm applying to reading, brighton and westminster for Psychology w/ Foundation year.
i have other universities that i COULD apply to, but i wouldn't be happy to go to them, in all honesty.
is it wise to only apply for three? or should i apply to two more even though i don't really wanna go to them?

There is no harm in applying. Have you tried researching any other universities that you might want to go to?
Original post by ouaei
hi!

Only apply to places you are interested in going to.
Original post by ouaei
hi!

Three is fine. Not a problem.
Reply 4
Yeah? Nothing telling you you can’t.

I personally only wanted to go to 2 of mine but I applied to 5 out of peace of mind. Doesn’t cost any extra and I can always cancel my application. Its a bit of a waste not putting anything when you could get SOMETHING out of it.

Just because something is there doesn’t mean you have to take it :wink:
Original post by ouaei
hi!

Hi there,

It's great to hear you want to study Psychology! If you only want to apply for three then that's completely fine. Some people do like to go with 5 choices just in case however its completely a personal choice.

I do study psychology here at Surrey, so if you have any questions about what it is like studying psychology at uni or any questions, I am more than happy to help :smile:

Becca
No point applying to universities you wouldn't feasibly choose, but also no harm in doing so.

If you don't get the offers you want, you'll still have 2 slots leftover to play with. (an advantage of leaving choices free) Equally, if you suddenly find a course you love you can tag it on without much fuss.
Reply 7
Original post by 5hyl33n
There is no harm in applying. Have you tried researching any other universities that you might want to go to?

hey! yes i have, i've been really fussy though as i want to be fairly close to london. i'm thinking of going with uni of surrey and uni west london, although i'm put off those two because i've read that the surrey night life is quite quiet and uni of west london's course isn't as good as reading etc (for me). i've just read another comment suggesting i don't apply to the extra two so that if i don't get the offers i want i can find more unis after. what do you think?
Reply 8
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi there,

It's great to hear you want to study Psychology! If you only want to apply for three then that's completely fine. Some people do like to go with 5 choices just in case however its completely a personal choice.

I do study psychology here at Surrey, so if you have any questions about what it is like studying psychology at uni or any questions, I am more than happy to help :smile:

Becca

hii! that's so cool! i was thinking of applying to surrey but got put off when i read that the night life is quite quiet (apparently). can you tell me your opinion on that?
the reason i'm positive about reading, westminster and brighton is that they're much busier w all the city life.
Original post by ouaei
hii! that's so cool! i was thinking of applying to surrey but got put off when i read that the night life is quite quiet (apparently). can you tell me your opinion on that?
the reason i'm positive about reading, westminster and brighton is that they're much busier w all the city life.

Hi there,

I would say that the night life in Guildford town is ok, I wouldn't say it's amazing but its decent enough. I prefer just to go the uni club, Rubix as that's where the better atmosphere is and have a great time whenever I go :smile:

If nightlife is important to you, then I suggest researching into it more. Also check our our SurreyStudent instagram page to find out information about student life here.

I am more than happy to answer any questions and I hope this helps!

Becca
Original post by ouaei
hi!

Hey @ouaei,

It's great to hear that you have applied to Reading University! I would say if you feel like you will meet the entry requirements then go for it because there is no point applying to universities you don't like.

Emma on unibuddy studies psychology so if you would like to know more about what it is like studying psychology at Reading University feel free to message her here: https://api.unibuddy.co/og/university-of-reading/buddies/students/5dd70f84bc054c020f547eea?buddyPosition=share

Hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to let us know!
From,

Amina 😊
Hi there

Also remember that Clearing opens in August and there will probably be places available at most universities. If you change your mind there will be other choices for sure.

Best of luck

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
Reply 12
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi there,

Becca

So I'm in the middle of picking a firm choice between either surrey or Leicester and I'm not sure which one to pick because I can't go see them because of COVID but I like the outdoor life of Leicester but the academic life of surrey it is okay if you helped me and told me what it's like to study Psychology at Surrey and how life outside of the education is? Thank you
Original post by R2g
So I'm in the middle of picking a firm choice between either surrey or Leicester and I'm not sure which one to pick because I can't go see them because of COVID but I like the outdoor life of Leicester but the academic life of surrey it is okay if you helped me and told me what it's like to study Psychology at Surrey and how life outside of the education is? Thank you

Hi there,

Yes I can for sure help you there.

Lets start with life outside of the education here at Surrey. I absolutely love Guildford, I love the town there is a great amount of shops and restaurants that is easily walkable from the university or a not so far bus journey. Not only this, there is a range of fun activities you can do, such as at Spectrum there is a leisure centre, a ice rink and bowling. This isn't too far from the university either and a lot of students to go here to do fun activities :smile: I wanted to pick a university that was close to London too as I then had the option to go into London to browse around or for a fun day out. London is around a 35 minute train journey from Guildford and therefore it is really handy to have this option! I have a part-time job in the town-centre and I absolutely just love the atmosphere in Guildford!

As for Psychology, I am loving it. I am in my 2nd year and are now currently trying to source a placement in Human Resources. Is the placement something you would like to do? I chose Surrey due to how supportive the placement year and the different support services around. In first year, I had around 13 hours of contact teaching such as lectures, seminars and tutorials and the rest of my time was spent on independent learning such as creating notes and doing pre-reading for the upcoming lectures. Obviously this year has been a bit different due to COVID-19, however I still have had access to the same amount of learning as I did in first year and all the lecturers and staff at the university have been very helpful in any queries I have had. There is also a previous student from Surrey who has spoke about her experiences studying Psychology here. It's an interesting read and will hopefully give you some further insight to Psychology here: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/student-life/what-our-students-say/ivelina-dobreva

What I absolutely loved about this course was that the teaching was recognised as outstanding with a TEF Gold Award and also allows students to select modules that are tailored to our own interests. Furthermore, what impressed me when I came to the university last year was the brand new £5m teaching facilities that psychology students have access to which opened in Spring 2019. Please see this link to have a look around these brand new teaching facilities: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/school-psychology/study/facilities-and-equipment

Here is a link to the Psychology Undergraduate Degree for 2021 entry here at Surrey, just so you can have a look and it be easily accessible for you :smile: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/psychology. Please also visit this link where you can further look into the School of Psychology here at Surrey and watch a video all about it :smile: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/school-psychology

I hope this has been useful, please let me know if you have any other questions as I am more than happy to help!

Becca
Reply 14
This was very helpful thank you so much!

Also, I'm a little bit confused about the placement year and how that works and what they have to because I can't seem to find anything about it on their website or maybe I'm just not looking properly.
Thank you so much again
Original post by R2g

Also, I'm a little bit confused about the placement year and how that works and what they have to because I can't seem to find anything about it on their website or maybe I'm just not looking properly.
Thank you so much again

Hi,

That's ok! I am glad I could help. I have found this link which may be handy in explaning the Psychology course with the placement year. Give this a read and let me know what you think, hopefully it is helpful! https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/psychology#study-placements

Becca
Original post by R2g

Thank you so much again

To introduce myself I’m Joao, an Economics student from the University of Surrey on placement at Defra (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs).

As you know a placement provides students with a unique opportunity to gain skills specific to their subject or industry of choice as well as the employability skills required for real-life work so I would suggest applying for a sandwich degree. If you do not manage to secure one you simply go straight to the 3rd year.

However, if you are considering applying to Surrey there are certain tips that will increase your chances of getting the placement you are looking for. If you need any help just contact your department’s Professional Training Tutor or contact the dedicated placements team at [email protected].

Our Employability and Careers team will encourage you to be proactive and apply for your industry placement yourself, by writing a CV and cover letter. More importantly, your school or department will appoint a senior tutor for Professional Training who will work with you from the application process through to the completion of your placement. This is an academic member of staff with responsibility for delivering the Professional Training scheme and supporting you at all stages of the journey.

The university also provides a Professional Training coaching scheme, where you can be paired with a student who has recently returned from their placement. That way you will have friendly support from someone who went through the same placement-seeking process and who will prepare you for the world of work.

Also, as some placements abroad may involve learning and communicate in a language other than English, the university has support available to help you develop your language skills.

I think this may help you.

All you need to know about studying economics at Surrey:
https://blogs.surrey.ac.uk/student-experience/2020/12/09/all-you-need-to-know-about-studying-economics-in-surrey/
Joao
Economics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending