A level physics photoelectric effect

Watch
Mavs04
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,
I don’t completely understand the second bullet point on the ppt slide, I’m not sure what the relationship is between the intensity of an EM wave and it’s energy, but I know that when it behaves as photons their energy is independent to the intensity.
Of someone could explain why lots of electrons would be emitted at high intensities no matter the frequency that would be great!

Ty!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  166.3 KB
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
High intensity means that there are lots of photons being emitted. The more photons emitted, the more total energy is being sent to the metal.

When considering the energy of an individual photon, yes intensity is irrelevant. When considering the total energy from the radiation, then you need to take into account how many photons there are.
Last edited by Sinnoh; 2 months ago
Mavs04
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
High intensity means that there are lots of photons being emitted. The more photons emitted, the more total energy is being sent to the metal.

When considering the energy of an individual photon, yes intensity is irrelevant. When considering the total energy from the radiation, then you need to take into account how many photons there are.
Thanks,
Yeah in this topic we’re looking at the energy of individual photons because each liberates a single electron, but I don’t really get how the intensity is related to the energy of the EM radiation when it’s behaving as a wave - I thought the energy of waves was linked to their amplitude?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Mavs04)
Thanks,
Yeah in this topic we’re looking at the energy of individual photons because each liberates a single electron, but I don’t really get how the intensity is related to the energy of the EM radiation when it’s behaving as a wave - I thought the energy of waves was linked to their amplitude?
This is why photons are weird.

The energy of an individual photon is linked to its frequency (or wavelength, depending on which form of the equation you use) and nothing else.

EM radiation in this example consists of many photons, each with their own specific energy. The sum of the energies of all the photons is the energy of the EM radiation. The more intense the radiation is, the more photons there are. The more photons there are, the higher the energy, simply because there are more photons there. That's why higher intensity means higher energy in this case. Just like how the Sun releases more energy than a candle even if the light they emit has roughly the same wavelength.

The amplitude of photons themselves isn't something you really consider, since they are quantum-mechanical.
Eesa268
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anyone help on this question?
Name:  B1EB91B6-59AB-4825-A8E6-F0C5A8B694E7.jpeg
Views: 5
Size:  91.9 KB
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (449)
51.61%
No (421)
48.39%

Watched Threads