The Student Room Group

Civil service Jobs UK

I am a recent graduate and since I dont have relevant work experience I want to apply for AA/AO roles within the Civil Service. How long will it take me to get promoted to EO/HEO roles once I am in?
Original post by BTS_biased
I am a recent graduate and since I dont have relevant work experience I want to apply for AA/AO roles within the Civil Service. How long will it take me to get promoted to EO/HEO roles once I am in?

That depends on your drive and what opportunities are available. If you perform well in your role, you could expect to be promoted to an executive role within a few years.
Many graduates come in at HEO. If you have experience from other activities such as volunteering you can use this for examples as you would employment experience. Don't automatically restrict yourself you the lowest grade, submit an application at different levels to see how you do and get a feel for where your gaps are.
Reply 3
Original post by wonderwheels
Many graduates come in at HEO. If you have experience from other activities such as volunteering you can use this for examples as you would employment experience. Don't automatically restrict yourself you the lowest grade, submit an application at different levels to see how you do and get a feel for where your gaps are.

Would they accept volunteering and summer internships/
Would they accept volunteering and summer internships/

Yes. It's the actions you took and the skill you learned that matter not the context.
Reply 5

Are you any good?
Reply 6
Original post by Quady
Are you any good?

what do you mean?
Reply 7
what do you mean?

Well if you're crap then you can stay at admin level for your entire career.

If you're very good you can enter at HEO/SEO and be in the SCS by the time you're 30.

Asking how long it'll take for you to be promoted is pointless. We dont know if you're any good.
Reply 8
Original post by Quady
Well if you're crap then you can stay at admin level for your entire career.

If you're very good you can enter at HEO/SEO and be in the SCS by the time you're 30.

Asking how long it'll take for you to be promoted is pointless. We dont know if you're any good.

What do they use to judge whether you are good enough? Are there any specific tests?
Reply 9
What do they use to judge whether you are good enough? Are there any specific tests?

Typically a competancy based written application, interview and presentation.
It's not like the private sector where you can expect to have X years experience at a level, then they'll consider you for the next level working your way up. Current way of recruitment is all about competencies (behaviours). If you have the right experience from whatever source to demonstrate the competency, there's nothing stopping you from going in at HEO/SEO level directly, or jumping grades from say AO to HEO or HEO to Grade 7 though those would usually involves moving government department.

Sideway movement within the same government department can be restricted with minimum time in current role, but there's no restriction if you're applying for promotion, especially to other governement department. If you're trying to move up within the same team, they may expect most of your behaviours example to come from your current role, less of an issue if you're jumping between different government departments.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending