Senior Physics Challenge 2021 - Isaac Physics

Watch
UserName734
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Anyone doing the senior physics challenge on Isaac physics this year or can anyone from previous years tell me how many questions they did?
Xaodo
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
bump
Lil368
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m trying to get on it this year! Only found Isaac last month but am currently on 120 questions solved, about 6 Lvl 6, 20 Level 5, 20 Level 4 and 30 Lvl 3 (the rest are 0-2 so they don’t matter ig).My aim is to do about 250-300 before the deadline and get upto 25 level 6, 50 level 5, 50 level 4 and like 70 level 3.I don’t know much about the residential itself as my school don’t use Isaac so I’m having to do this all solo, so any info anyone wants to give would be great
philogrobized
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lil368)
I’m trying to get on it this year! Only found Isaac last month but am currently on 120 questions solved, about 6 Lvl 6, 20 Level 5, 20 Level 4 and 30 Lvl 3 (the rest are 0-2 so they don’t matter ig).My aim is to do about 250-300 before the deadline and get upto 25 level 6, 50 level 5, 50 level 4 and like 70 level 3.I don’t know much about the residential itself as my school don’t use Isaac so I’m having to do this all solo, so any info anyone wants to give would be great
Hey. I'd recommend doing quite a few questions every day. Make sure you steer away from the master mathematics questions because they don't count towards it (can use them for revision for tests or exams) I've known about this for a while now so if you have any questions you can ask instead of looking around (since I wasted quite a lot of my time looking around when I should've been doing questions haha). I suggest a methodical approach to answering questions (i.e. using the question selector and choosing a topic you are comfortable, choosing level 3 then working your way up to lvl5 or 6). Also, the maths ones tend to be easier than the physics ones if that helps in any way. But yeah I guess that's it. Even if you don't get in you'll still be learning quite a lot so that might motivate you. Good luck
Xaodo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by philogrobized)
I suggest a methodical approach to answering questions (i.e. using the question selector and choosing a topic you are comfortable, choosing level 3 then working your way up to lvl5 or 6).
Ngl, never thought about doing questions like this... cheers!
philogrobized
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zacn01)
Ngl, never thought about doing questions like this... cheers!
I only started doing this yesterday haha
Xaodo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do we have an idea of how many questions we need to get on?
philogrobized
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do we have an idea of how many questions we need to get on?
Hiya. I'm at about 480 questions (L3-L6). Really knuckled down in the past few weeks. That number includes the master maths questions (and I don't know how many of those I've done). I don't know how many they expect because I feel like a lot more people will have discovered Isaac physics this year because of online learning (so that will make it more competitive).

If you don't mind me asking, how many have you done?
Xaodo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiya. I'm at about 480 questions (L3-L6). Really knuckled down in the past few weeks. That number includes the master maths questions (and I don't know how many of those I've done). I don't know how many they expect because I feel like a lot more people will have discovered Isaac physics this year because of online learning (so that will make it more competitive).

If you don't mind me asking, how many have you done?
Wow that’s a lot, i recently hit 500 but my rate of answering has really decreased because I’ve been focusing on internal mocks and external comps, but that’s an insane improvement i’m pretty sure you were like 300 last time you said!
philogrobized
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wow that’s a lot, i recently hit 500 but my rate of answering has really decreased because I’ve been focusing on internal mocks and external comps, but that’s an insane improvement i’m pretty sure you were like 300 last time you said!
I read a lot of the concept pages over the holidays then just did a bunch of questions haha. Good luck getting ahead of the other person at your school that you mentioned. We've still got 2 months so you could catch up
Xaodo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I read a lot of the concept pages over the holidays then just did a bunch of questions haha. Good luck getting ahead of the other person at your school that you mentioned. We've still got 2 months so you could catch up
I appreciate that, yeah once the SPC is over I can focus on A levels again for a while before c3l6, so I can look at the concept pages, cos my knowledge of physics is pretty limited ngl. I'll need more than luck to get ahead - this guy is someone who you just know is destined for great things, so hopefully they allow 2 from a school.
philogrobized
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I appreciate that, yeah once the SPC is over I can focus on A levels again for a while before c3l6, so I can look at the concept pages, cos my knowledge of physics is pretty limited ngl. I'll need more than luck to get ahead - this guy is someone who you just know is destined for great things, so hopefully they allow 2 from a school.
Just had a look at c3l6 and it looks quite interesting. Yeah my school is taking physics really slow so I'm not really learning much (partially because I've learnt quite a lot through IP).
OlivEuler
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wow you guys are ridiculous.

I thought I was doing alright at 250 questions, aiming for 400 by the end of April, but now I’m not sure even that will be enough. Luckily I don’t think anyone else from my school is doing it. I’m hoping I can break ahead during the Easter holidays.
philogrobized
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Tsam28)
I know this might sound like a weird idea, but do any of y'all want to join a discord related to this. I'm just thinking that 5 or 6 minds might work better than a single mind. Plus if you have people at your school doing it, and thus have direct competition, it might help give you the edge against them.
Just an idea....
My name is Tsam#5123 if you want to add me and we could work together on some of these. Because honestly you guys seem like a nice community.
Hey, I literally found one yesterday on reddit which i think Xaodo made (not 100% sure haha). I think its against the rules on TSR I don't know how to make this work haha
Last edited by philogrobized; 1 month ago
Xaodo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, I literally found one yesterday on reddit which i think Xaodo made (not 100% sure haha). I think its against the rules on TSR I don't know how to make this work haha
oh yeah i did - it died though ngl
Last edited by Xaodo; 1 month ago
philogrobized
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Xaodo)
oh yeah i did, i deleted reddit & other socials bar tsr so i haven’t actually been on it for a while - it died though ngl
ahh fair enough.
TheScholar!
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm up for it- it sounds like a great idea! I definitely want to try and make the SPC as it should be some great fun, and intro into QM, and with the tougher competition this year I think that a group where we help each other out and give tips would be really nice!
TheScholar!
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also what do you guys think of the BPhO SPC on Thursday being multiple choice this year?
philogrobized
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TheScholar!)
Also what do you guys think of the BPhO SPC on Thursday being multiple choice this year?
hmmm I really don't like it. I don't do well with mcqs and time. I really enjoy the long answer questions in physics challenges.
UserName734
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Tsam28)
I know this might sound like a weird idea, but do any of y'all want to join a discord related to this. I'm just thinking that 5 or 6 minds might work better than a single mind. Plus if you have people at your school doing it, and thus have direct competition, it might help give you the edge against them.
Just an idea....
My name is Tsam#5123 if you want to add me and we could work together on some of these. Because honestly you guys seem like a nice community.
Great Idea, count me in!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (144)
4.88%
Uncertainty around my education (433)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (332)
11.25%
Lack of purpose or motivation (409)
13.86%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (136)
4.61%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (178)
6.03%
Loneliness (254)
8.61%
Financial worries (109)
3.69%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (121)
4.1%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.58%
Lack of real life entertainment (158)
5.36%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (261)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (280)
9.49%

Watched Threads