The Student Room Group

HELP How do I improve my English language grade

I’m a year 11 and for my mocks i got 7s and 8s in everything but English language. I barley scraped a 4.

Please any tips. I revised for this test the most and I still did terrible. I just need at least a 5
Original post by Axesha_cx
I’m a year 11 and for my mocks i got 7s and 8s in everything but English language. I barley scraped a 4.

Please any tips. I revised for this test the most and I still did terrible. I just need at least a 5

Step 1 . Remember a story layout/plan that you can twist in your favour regardless of the question . Essentially a template for creative writing and this will allow you to gain higher marks in the creative writing aspect.

Step 2. Structure is often ignored and not referenced as much as language. I would suggest learning some structural techniques that you could implement in Q3 and Q4.
Reply 2
Read the mark schemes and indicative content - they'll really give you an idea of how to answer each question, what the examiner is looking for and how to structure it. For writing, remember quality over quantity, there's no point in writing loads if you don't include language features (metaphors, adjectives, adverbs etc.) and punctuation marks (commas, colons, semi-colons, hyphens etc.). Familiarise yourself with different styles of writing and their specific features, for example, with persuasive writing (often letters and speeches in exams) try to include rhetorical questions, anecdotes and exaggeration, while with storytelling, try and include dialogue, descriptive writing and shifts in narration.
@gtty123

You can give advice.
He's an English teacher .
Reply 4
Original post by SchmuckOff
Step 1 . Remember a story layout/plan that you can twist in your favour regardless of the question . Essentially a template for creative writing and this will allow you to gain higher marks in the creative writing aspect.

Step 2. Structure is often ignored and not referenced as much as language. I would suggest learning some structural techniques that you could implement in Q3 and Q4.

Original post by millsr
Read the mark schemes and indicative content - they'll really give you an idea of how to answer each question, what the examiner is looking for and how to structure it. For writing, remember quality over quantity, there's no point in writing loads if you don't include language features (metaphors, adjectives, adverbs etc.) and punctuation marks (commas, colons, semi-colons, hyphens etc.). Familiarise yourself with different styles of writing and their specific features, for example, with persuasive writing (often letters and speeches in exams) try to include rhetorical questions, anecdotes and exaggeration, while with storytelling, try and include dialogue, descriptive writing and shifts in narration.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it
Reply 5
Original post by gracieee16
@gtty123

You can give advice.
He's an English teacher .

No I'm not lol. I just did well in English.
Original post by gtty123
No I'm not lol. I just did well in English.

You're meant to be giving advice to the user.

You're a teacher after all.
Reply 7
You're meant to be giving advice to the user.

You're a teacher after all.

Ffs...
Original post by gtty123
Ffs...

You're the one being mean and blunt now.
Reply 9
You're the one being mean and blunt now.

what did I just read lol

Quick Reply

Latest