The Student Room Group

A Level Resits - Summer 2021 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by strawberryeater
Yh literally, i am so stressed out but what do you think? Do you think they'll go ahead or do something for private candidates?

Idk, I’m really stressed too and have no idea what’s gonna happen. I feel like in the mean time it’s best to avoid news and try to focus on studying and keep preparing for exams (cause if exams go ahead as usual then you’ll regret more for not studying for them), then if the exams get cancelled and the new regulations for getting grades doesn’t involve a way for private candidates, then we’ll have to stand together and have our voice heard, so they give us a way. I feel like that’s the most rational thing to do rn. Try to keep calm, I know it’s extremely difficult right now, but in the end it will be our loss if we don’t approach this in the right way.
Reply 41
Original post by H13
why feburary-are you still waiting on the exam centre

I might have to apply in February, because the exam centre are not giving me any clarity right now on whether they'll write me a reference. My old sixth isn't really helping either. Besides I need new predicted grades for UCAS, and I'm still unsure of where I can get the chance to sit a mock test before the 15th deadline, as I'll have to wait till the 11th (that's when schools are opening). On top of that, I'm hearing news that we'll be put into a 'national lock down' with the potential of schools being closed again. So everything is just looking really uncertain for me right now, hence the likeliness of me applying in February. Any advice?
Reply 42
I’m in the same position,I haven’t decided whether I wanna retake and haven’t talked to the school about it,I heard that the school can you give your predicted grades 1 higher than your mocks but I’m not sure yet
Original post by Jadaply
I might have to apply in February, because the exam centre are not giving me any clarity right now on whether they'll write me a reference.

I've never heard of an exam centre writing a reference for an external candidate - they don't know you. If your former sixth form won't do it, you'd be better off approaching former teachers independently but ASAP as it's very last minute and teachers are stressed as anything with the uncertainty of what's going on at the moment.
(edited 3 years ago)
Will resitting AS subjects only be counted resitting Alevels exams because I know some unis don’t accept resits.
Will resitting AS subjects only be counted as a level resits? I know some unis don’t accept resits and I’m worried resitting AS exams will disqualify me
Original post by Jadaply
I might have to apply in February, because the exam centre are not giving me any clarity right now on whether they'll write me a reference. My old sixth isn't really helping either. Besides I need new predicted grades for UCAS, and I'm still unsure of where I can get the chance to sit a mock test before the 15th deadline, as I'll have to wait till the 11th (that's when schools are opening). On top of that, I'm hearing news that we'll be put into a 'national lock down' with the potential of schools being closed again. So everything is just looking really uncertain for me right now, hence the likeliness of me applying in February. Any advice?

Also, make sure you know when’s the exam centre’s deadline is for exam entry, many have their own deadline sat, and at many if you try after the deadline then you’ll probably have to pay the late entry fee.
Reply 47
Anyone know exam centres in london to resit a levels? I haven't seen any with fees below £200 for an a level

btw no I can't resit at my sixth form
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 48
Hi,

I'm aiming to resit this summer 2021, but I'm still uncertain about the Ofqual promise that these grades will replace the calculated grades I got in 2020. I'm a private candidate, how do I let my exam centre know that I'm one of the people that are doing the appeal resists and not someone who's doing a regular resit (eg someone who got graded before 2020, and now are taking their exams in 2021)

In short, how do I ensure that the grades I get this summer becomes my actual grades, without it counting as an "official" resit.
Reply 49
hey i was wondering does anyone know if you can get predicted grades by teachers from your old sixth form if youre doing it as a private candidate or do you just put it as pending on ucas,should i ask my teachers for predicted grades
Original post by Yeeeeet12345
Will resitting AS subjects only be counted resitting Alevels exams because I know some unis don’t accept resits.

Not many universities don't accept re-sits and things are likely to be less strict at the moment.

In the days when England had modular A levels it was possible to re-sit all/some of the AS (or A2) units before getting a final A level grade and still get in to Oxford, Cambridge or to Medicine. I don't imagine that has changed.
Original post by H13
hey i was wondering does anyone know if you can get predicted grades by teachers from your old sixth form if youre doing it as a private candidate or do you just put it as pending on ucas,should i ask my teachers for predicted grades

You can ask them but you've left it very late and they may well say no if they have no idea what you've been doing since you left..
Original post by Navboi
Hi,

I'm aiming to resit this summer 2021, but I'm still uncertain about the Ofqual promise that these grades will replace the calculated grades I got in 2020. I'm a private candidate, how do I let my exam centre know that I'm one of the people that are doing the appeal resists and not someone who's doing a regular resit (eg someone who got graded before 2020, and now are taking their exams in 2021)

In short, how do I ensure that the grades I get this summer becomes my actual grades, without it counting as an "official" resit.

Why would this make any difference to the exam centre? And if you want to tell them, why can't you just tell them?
Reply 53
Original post by Compost
Why would this make any difference to the exam centre? And if you want to tell them, why can't you just tell them?

I would've thought they might have needed to enter me under a different category so that ofqual would recognise I'm taking them to appeal my 2020 CAGs
Original post by Navboi
I would've thought they might have needed to enter me under a different category so that ofqual would recognise I'm taking them to appeal my 2020 CAGs

Entry codes are the same whether you're entering an exam for the first time or re-sitting. The only difference is if you are carrying forward any NEA. Then OCR and Pearson Edexcel have slightly different entry codes but AQA does not.

Re-sitting is not the big deal everyone seems to think. Most universities don't much care normally and will care less at the moment.
(edited 3 years ago)
does anyone know or can confirm if UCAS let you apply whilst holding a place already?

i was told this and would like to clarify, already holding a place but wish to go through the UCAS process again since I am retaking 2 of my A Levels
Reply 56
so exams are cancelled.. what now
Original post by leahnj
so exams are cancelled.. what now

They better have something for private candidates, I am absolutely done. I've been revising for hard these past months for the Summer 2021 and now that's cancelled??

Might as well say bye to Medicine offer.
i can’t believe they got cancelled again.
Reply 59
So he never said they were cancelled but a guy said 'alternative arrangements' so..... :/

Quick Reply

Latest