Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Heya! I was thinking of applying for the Classical Archaeology and Ancient History course at Oxford, but I've heard mixed things about it. Is it a good course in terms of facilities and suchlike?

Also, which college is 'the best' to apply to if studying CAAH? My teacher recommended New, since the Tutor there wrote half our reference texts, but I thought Wadham looked more friendly and welcoming (though having read some posts on here, I'm not too sure). At the heart of it, I'm a state-school kid who likes music and being generally nerdy, politically a bit of a leftie (:sigh:) but not so much that you'd notice. Financially, I need to go for the lowest rent possible and I definitly dont want to go to St. Hilda's.

At the moment my final choices are probably Wadham or St. Anne's, using the 'alternative prospectus' and the uni website 'Push'.

ReputationRep:
    Naaw just choose a different subject. Anthropology is really interesting as well. I suggest you look in to that. Or theology maybe?

Actually you're the first other CAAH applicant I've seen so far. Yay ^_^
    Just don't apply to Merton. 'cause there's only one spot and it shall be mine. Hopefully. Maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenobia)
    Just don't apply to Merton. 'cause there's only one spot and it shall be mine. Hopefully. Maybe.
    Lol, I wouldn't dare! What made you choose Merton?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxycaradoc)
    Lol, I wouldn't dare! What made you choose Merton?
    Well it's REALLY pretty. The rooms are generally nice (very important to me). It's really old (where else does a history student want to go?)... and it felt really good at the open day. Also I'm not into competitive sports or drama or anything anyway so that doesn't matter to me. Most of all though, eventually you have to stop thinking about it and just choose something. I just happened to decide on a college that accepts an average of 1 student for CAAH x.x Yeah, lovely.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's REALLY pretty. The rooms are generally nice (very important to me). It's really old (where else does a history student want to go?)... and it felt really good at the open day. Also I'm not into competitive sports or drama or anything anyway so that doesn't matter to me. Most of all though, eventually you have to stop thinking about it and just choose something. I just happened to decide on a college that accepts an average of 1 student for CAAH x.x Yeah, lovely.
    Ouch! I've never been to Oxford, both my parents work and can't really afford the train fare to get there. I've had a look about on the internet though..my main problem is being totally indecisive about anything and everything to do with Uni!

Did you come all the way from the Netherlands for the open day, or do u live in the UK now anyway? Just curious - it renders my excuses totally pathetic, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch! I've never been to Oxford, both my parents work and can't really afford the train fare to get there. I've had a look about on the internet though..my main problem is being totally indecisive about anything and everything to do with Uni!

Did you come all the way from the Netherlands for the open day, or do u live in the UK now anyway? Just curious - it renders my excuses totally pathetic, lol.
    I actually came all the way from the Netherlands lol. My aunt lives in London so I went to visit her for a week and combined it with going to the open day. I had a lovely time. The coach was EXPENSIVE though, I totaly agree. I also visited UCL but I didn't like it at all, which was a little dissappointing to me because it has a good archaeology department (I've heard), so I ended up deciding not to apply to any London uni's.

If you're really stuck for a college choice, I personally recommend Brasenose. It has a lot of spots for our subject (if I remember correctly anyway) and I loved it there on the open day, as well as everyone else I talked to at the open day. It seems like a really nice and friendly place and everyone was extremely positive about it. I thought that was interesting, because I haven't read a lot about Brasenose on the internet or here on the forum. I think everyone was a little surprised how nice it was actually. But all of the rooms (and I saw like five different kinds) were nice, the kitchen seemed nice, the library and the bar... and especially the students. Though I wouldn't choose a college based on how nice the students were at the open day ^^; And I still liked Merton a little bit better in the end.

I mean I don't think the number of spots matters in the end, in terms of getting accepted (because you can get pooled right?) but if you like having people doing the same subject around it's nice. I think Magdalen has a lot of places as well, but I surprisingly didn't like it as much at the open day.

How many times did I say 'nice'?

ReputationRep:
    Why not Hilda's? :hmmm:

(:p:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)
    Why not Hilda's? :hmmm:

(:p:)
    It's the all-girlies thing, though I read an article which said some of the Hilda girls got cautioned for coming to breakfast in lace nighties and the like, so maybe it's not as dull as it sounds in the prospectus. Though looking at your grades, Greatleysteg, I've just decided not to apply to anywhere and just cry in my room for a while :p: . That's a ridiculous amount of A's for one person.

ReputationRep:
    It's the all-girlies thing, though I read an article which said some of the Hilda girls got cautioned for coming to breakfast in lace nighties and the like, so maybe it's not as dull as it sounds in the prospectus. Though looking at your grades, Greatleysteg, I've just decided not to apply to anywhere and just cry in my room for a while :p: . That's a ridiculous amount of A's for one person.
    I'm applying for st Mary's at Durham which used to be all girls as well, but I'm not worried about it. I prefer male friends to avoid cat fights and gossip. And since Hilda and st Mary's are no longer all female, there will actually be guys there now.

Lol and I don't have his marks either.
    I hope we both get an interview ^^ It'd be fun to meet.

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha, I did an Open Application, so didn't pick Hilda's, either - it just gets a lot of stick it doesn't deserve - it's as good as/better than colleges such as St. Hugh's, LMH, Mansfield, Harris Manchester etc.

I remember reading that article; I was delivering newspapers at the time, so I saw it several times. Never did I think I'd be going there.

And yeah - 16 boys and 484 girls: :eek: I'm not too happy about that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)
    And yeah - 16 boys and 484 girls: :eek: I'm not too happy about that!
    are you homosexual? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    are you homosexual? :p:
    Not quite; I'm bisexual, but that's by-the-by - sleeping with people in small, insular colleges isn't something that sounds enticing - more the idea that it'll be very feminine and uncomfortably artificial.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for st Mary's at Durham which used to be all girls as well, but I'm not worried about it. I prefer male friends to avoid cat fights and gossip. And since Hilda and st Mary's are no longer all female, there will actually be guys there now.

Lol and I don't have his marks either.
    I hope we both get an interview ^^ It'd be fun to meet.
    It would be great - we can panic together before the interview and compare notes on hysteria...if I even get that far - all of last year's applicants (from my school) got turned down before the interview stage. Still, good luck to both of us! You'll have to PM me with how you got on, unless we're lucky and we're interviewed on the same day.

Lol, my problem with all/mostly girls colleges is that I'm NOT sharing a communal shower with a massive bunch of girlies. In my experience (admittedly only a few school trips with smelly Norfolk farmer-boys) there's alot less competition for the bathroom if you live with lads. Plus, fellow ladies steal your shower gel :shifty: .

On the last school trip, one boy wore the same pair of socks for 5 days; he admitted it. Off-topic, but it had to be said.

xx

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.