The Student Room Group

advice on A Level biology/computing/psychology?

i need to pick two of psychology, computing, and biology (my third one is maths)

can anyone who's done any of these subjects for A Levels give me some info about how you're finding them / what to expect / is it easy, hard, interesting, etc

any replies at all are HUGELY appreciated

Scroll to see replies

The real question is what are you interested in ...
I’m currently doing A level biology and i’m really loving it! Biology is a super logical and interesting subject (a really in depth version of gcse content + much more). Keep in mind that there is a LOT of content that you need to learn and when i say a lot, i mean a hell of a lot. However, if you have a genuine interest in the subject then learning content shouldn’t be a problem. There are concepts that can be difficult to understand and the mark schemes can be evil but in general, once you’re putting sufficient work in, it’s not majorly hard. My biggest piece of advice is to only take it if you enjoy it, because if you don’t then that’s when you’ll struggle
Original post by Hammad(214508)
The real question is what are you interested in ...

basically all of the subjects listed above (:
Original post by Reanna.xxx
I’m currently doing A level biology and i’m really loving it! Biology is a super logical and interesting subject (a really in depth version of gcse content + much more). Keep in mind that there is a LOT of content that you need to learn and when i say a lot, i mean a hell of a lot. However, if you have a genuine interest in the subject then learning content shouldn’t be a problem. There are concepts that can be difficult to understand and the mark schemes can be evil but in general, once you’re putting sufficient work in, it’s not majorly hard. My biggest piece of advice is to only take it if you enjoy it, because if you don’t then that’s when you’ll struggle

okay thank you very much that's really helpful! good luck for your A Levels (:
also if you don't mind me asking, what other subjects are you doing atm?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by sq6id
okay thank you very much that's really helpful! good luck for your A Levels (:
also if you don't mind me asking, what other subjects are you doing atm?

Thank you! I’m doing chem and maths :smile:
Original post by Reanna.xxx
Thank you! I’m doing chem and maths :smile:

wow that's a really good combination!
Computing is a really good subject if you think about the future
Original post by sq6id
i need to pick two of psychology, computing, and biology (my third one is maths)

can anyone who's done any of these subjects for A Levels give me some info about how you're finding them / what to expect / is it easy, hard, interesting, etc

Do you know what degree you would like to do?
Original post by 5hyl33n
Do you know what degree you would like to do?

not exactly. i have 4 fields of interest tho: computer science, dentistry, psychology, and something finance related.
Original post by sq6id
not exactly. i have 4 fields of interest tho: computer science, dentistry, psychology, and something finance related.

If you want to do Dentistry, it would be useful to have Chemistry.
Original post by 5hyl33n

Dont do chemistry. Its the worst decision youd make.
Original post by .2.0.0.3.
Dont do chemistry. Its the worst decision youd make.

:lol:

I quite like Chemistry and am hoping to do a Chemistry degree. It really depends on how OP is finding GCSE Chemistry.
Original post by 5hyl33n

I quite like Chemistry and am hoping to do a Chemistry degree. It really depends on how OP is finding GCSE Chemistry.

Lol. The problem is that a level chem is nothing like gcse.
Original post by .2.0.0.3.
Lol. The problem is that a level chem is nothing like gcse.

I assume you are taking A-Level Chemistry? You sound very bitter about the subject. :lol:
Original post by 5hyl33n

lol i hate chemistry in general. it's seen as the hardest science and if i dont like it i dont think ill do well in it. but thanks!
Original post by 5hyl33n

i wish i liked chemistry but its legit my worst subject. not because it's hard - just because its boring lol
psychology is quite interesting and i find it really easy to comprehend, just need to do the best in writing essays that's all tho :wink: some maths and stats bits are very easy!
Original post by sq6id

Psychology is very interesting. However, it depends on what you really want (trust your instincts/gut feeling)
Original post by alebaja
psychology is quite interesting and i find it really easy to comprehend, just need to do the best in writing essays that's all tho :wink: some maths and stats bits are very easy!

glad to hear that. the only reason i was doubting it is because im not great at essays but im probably gonna take it. thanks (:

Quick Reply

Latest