The Student Room Group

CBSE for UK universities

I am currently studying in Class 10 in the CBSE curriculum. My average grades are currently 93% and I predict that I will obtain above 95% for the board exams in 10th, and in 12th too.

I'm not a big sports player, but I have a few extracurricular such as participation in a few MUNs, awards from some Indian olympiads in Computer Science, English, Science etc.

My question is if I have a chance in obtaining admission to UK universities such as the University of Birmingham, University of Edinburgh, University of Southampton, etc. in the Computer Science program continuing with my current grades in the CBSE curriculum.

The minimum criteria for admission is listed as an 85% or 90% average usually on the websites of the universities, but I am unsure if my CBSE qualifications will be considered as inferior to other top-scoring A Level or IB students, and lead me to not get admission in the universities.

Scroll to see replies

Well I guess I the one who answered your previous post as well.
For the universities you have listed above its totally fine to do CBSE. But coming to universities like Cambridge, Imperial, Oxford... its way better to switch to A-Level or IB. A-level is my suggestion over IB if you applying to UK, but both are fine.
Reply 2
Original post by JoJo_Beast
Well I guess I the one who answered your previous post as well.
For the universities you have listed above its totally fine to do CBSE. But coming to universities like Cambridge, Imperial, Oxford... its way better to switch to A-Level or IB. A-level is my suggestion over IB if you applying to UK, but both are fine.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I unfortunately do not have the option of A Level at my school but I might take IB. Thanks again
Original post by SachinRamanathan
I am currently studying in Class 10 in the CBSE curriculum. My average grades are currently 93% and I predict that I will obtain above 95% for the board exams in 10th, and in 12th too.

I'm not a big sports player, but I have a few extracurricular such as participation in a few MUNs, awards from some Indian olympiads in Computer Science, English, Science etc.

My question is if I have a chance in obtaining admission to UK universities such as the University of Birmingham, University of Edinburgh, University of Southampton, etc. in the Computer Science program continuing with my current grades in the CBSE curriculum.

The minimum criteria for admission is listed as an 85% or 90% average usually on the websites of the universities, but I am unsure if my CBSE qualifications will be considered as inferior to other top-scoring A Level or IB students, and lead me to not get admission in the universities.

A 12th grade CBSE student here, I too thought about changing to IB in 11th but gave up the idea as it seemed like too much of a hassle. Most of my seniors got into universities like UCL, imperial, etc with around 95% as their predictive. I don't see why it would be seen as inferior as the course material in 11th and 12th CBSE is harder than the A levels(For science; PCB, PCM, PCMB)
There’s not much point switching to the IB, (and taking on the additional subjects plus the bonus point activities as well), as class XII is widely accepted. Just concentrate on getting the best possible results and check that you are taking any essential subjects, eg. Maths.

Most U.K. uni’s will list their class XII requirements on their international pages, (if not link from the course pages themselves). Extra curriculars like sport aren’t really a benefit unless they are somehow directly related to the course.
Original post by Clace4life
A 12th grade CBSE student here, I too thought about changing to IB in 11th but gave up the idea as it seemed like too much of a hassle. Most of my seniors got into universities like UCL, imperial, etc with around 95% as their predictive. I don't see why it would be seen as inferior as the course material in 11th and 12th CBSE is harder than the A levels(For science; PCB, PCM, PCMB)

Yes but the style of exams in CBSE and A levels are different.

CBSE should be fine for any university regardless, just make sure you are performing well as that is all they care about.
Original post by Admit-One
There’s not much point switching to the IB, (and taking on the additional subjects plus the bonus point activities as well), as class XII is widely accepted. Just concentrate on getting the best possible results and check that you are taking any essential subjects, eg. Maths.

Most U.K. uni’s will list their class XII requirements on their international pages, (if not link from the course pages themselves). Extra curriculars like sport aren’t really a benefit unless they are somehow directly related to the course.

Original post by Clace4life

Well, all of what you have said it right. But just to remind to all, it is clearly specified in the Aeronautical engineering website entry requirement FAQs (link here: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/aeronautics/study/ug/admissions/faqs/) that CBSE and other Indian curriculum will only be accepted on exceptional cases. The following is the copy paste from their website:

""""""
Indian high school qualifications

Indian high school qualifications are not generally accepted for admission to the College. However, a special case may be made for applicants who have, or expect to obtain, exceptionally high marks from either the Central or Metro examination boards.
""""""

Moreover, Medicine at Imperial already states that they accept very few international curriculums. Coming on to Cambridge, you will need to obtain a rank <2500 in JEE adv for MINIMUM admission into any of their engineering program, along with STEP requirements for few courses. The JEE requirement can be waived if you write A-levels/IB or do AP exams in 3-5 subjects.

Wouldn't all of these factors clearly indicate studying IB is a much better choice if you can do it?
Reply 7
Thank you all so much for your advice! I have decided to take IB and I'm hoping it'll be the right choice.
Wouldn't all of these factors clearly indicate studying IB is a much better choice if you can do it?

It depends where the OP is targeting. They’ve not mentioned Imperial anywhere here, but I’ve not read their other thread. Imperial is a bit of an odd duck, so after researching their other choices they may find they are the only one who doesn’t accept class XII for direct entry.

If that’s the case, unless their heart was set on Imperial, then personally I don’t think it’s worth the risk and disruption of trying to pick up a new curriculum at this stage, but is their choice.
I don't know if this will be of help to you but my personal experience as a CBSE student might prove useful. I applied to Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Manchester, and KCL to study Physics using my CBSE predicted grades and additional APs I took. So far, I have received conditional offers from Manchester and KCL that ask for either CBSE 90%/85% or 5s in my remaining APs whereas my UCL conditional offer asks for only APs. I haven't received anything from Imperial yet for Physics but neither has anyone here on TSR so can't really say anything about Imperial yet. Lastly, I did finish my interviews with Oxford a couple of weeks back but their shortlisting process depends a lot more on their admission tests so I don't think my CBSE grades really mattered very much.
In case you change your mind and continue with CBSE, I think writing APs alongside wouldn't be too bad of a choice.
Original post by Admit-One
It depends where the OP is targeting. They’ve not mentioned Imperial anywhere here, but I’ve not read their other thread. Imperial is a bit of an odd duck, so after researching their other choices they may find they are the only one who doesn’t accept class XII for direct entry.

If that’s the case, unless their heart was set on Imperial, then personally I don’t think it’s worth the risk and disruption of trying to pick up a new curriculum at this stage, but is their choice.

Yeah that's true, maybe IB would be better for some courses(as one pointed out like Aeronautical engineering) I personally didn't pick IB as It didn't affect my course.
Thank you all so much for your advice! I have decided to take IB and I'm hoping it'll be the right choice.

Best of luck on all your future endeavours! pick your HLs and SLs carefully
To be frank, even I am a CBSE student. CBSE is definitely enough to get you into most courses at almost all Universities across the globe. But some courses like engineering at Cambridge, and other highly completive courses at Imperial (Like computer sci, aero, medicine) becomes really hard to get into if you are in CBSE. I know many at Imperial who studied CBSE, but they are all in courses like biological science, micro biology, material science, design engineering etc. I am looking at aeronautical and mechanical and I could not even find few. Most Indians at Imperial studied A-levels or IB.

I would totally agree with everyone above, only change to IB if your sure you want to go to Imperial/Cambridge, or else it is a waste of time and money.

A small note, I feel CBSE has much more content and is harder than A-levels. I'm sure 95% in CBSE is like A*A*A at A-Levels, yet for courses with minimum A*AA they ask for 95% as conditional offers, I have no idea why, and its really sad.
Another small tip, if you can take APs along with CBSE, that is much more better and well sufficient for any University. Provided you get 5s in all the APs.
To be frank, even I am a CBSE student. CBSE is definitely enough to get you into most courses at almost all Universities across the globe. But some courses like engineering at Cambridge, and other highly completive courses at Imperial (Like computer sci, aero, medicine) becomes really hard to get into if you are in CBSE. I know many at Imperial who studied CBSE, but they are all in courses like biological science, micro biology, material science, design engineering etc. I am looking at aeronautical and mechanical and I could not even find few. Most Indians at Imperial studied A-levels or IB.

I would totally agree with everyone above, only change to IB if your sure you want to go to Imperial/Cambridge, or else it is a waste of time and money.

A small note, I feel CBSE has much more content and is harder than A-levels. I'm sure 95% in CBSE is like A*A*A at A-Levels, yet for courses with minimum A*AA they ask for 95% as conditional offers, I have no idea why, and its really sad.

CBSE isn't exactly harder than A levels. Also, the reason why they ask for 95 is because of the quality of CBSE applicants they receive and few places they have available.
Reply 15

i too am planning to apply to UK unis and currently studying in CBSE grade 11. As per my knowledge Unis in UK do recognize the CBSE board and have a grading system for it. Im saying this from the research i have done and from what few other people have told me. So i dont think it is considered inferior in any way. But this should be checked individually with respect to which uni you are planning on applying to.
Original post by momo66
i too am planning to apply to UK unis and currently studying in CBSE grade 11. As per my knowledge Unis in UK do recognize the CBSE board and have a grading system for it. Im saying this from the research i have done and from what few other people have told me. So i dont think it is considered inferior in any way. But this should be checked individually with respect to which uni you are planning on applying to.

Hey there!

I am an CBSE student as well. Which universities are you aiming for though? To be frank, Universities like Cambridge and Imperial do underrate CBSE. For instance, CBSE isn't considered enough for admission to Cambridge. Moreover, courses with AAA requirements in A Level ask for 93-95% in CBSE which I feel is much more harder. Although this doesn't matter if your aiming universities like Brigham, Bristol, Southampton, Edinburg, etc., it makes a huge difference while applying top tier universities.

Further, A Levels stays cancelled this year and teachers' predictions will be how they are marked. Not sure how it feels like for A Level students but I feel now many A -Level students will meet the requirements which makes it harder for anyone who missed their offer slightly to get in. Especially in CBSE, it is quiet common people can miss by a single mark.

Not saying CBSE isn't good, I study CBSE as well and it is a really broad curriculum, but at some places it hinders you!
Reply 17
Hey there!

I am an CBSE student as well. Which universities are you aiming for though? To be frank, Universities like Cambridge and Imperial do underrate CBSE. For instance, CBSE isn't considered enough for admission to Cambridge. Moreover, courses with AAA requirements in A Level ask for 93-95% in CBSE which I feel is much more harder. Although this doesn't matter if your aiming universities like Brigham, Bristol, Southampton, Edinburg, etc., it makes a huge difference while applying top tier universities.

Further, A Levels stays cancelled this year and teachers' predictions will be how they are marked. Not sure how it feels like for A Level students but I feel now many A -Level students will meet the requirements which makes it harder for anyone who missed their offer slightly to get in. Especially in CBSE, it is quiet common people can miss by a single mark.

Not saying CBSE isn't good, I study CBSE as well and it is a really broad curriculum, but at some places it hinders you!

Im not aiming for oxbridge, Applying for medicine so going to wait till i take my UCAT before i choose.
But mostly unis like KCL, Birmingham, Glasgow etc.
So are you applying this year too? In the sense are you currently in grade 11 or 12?
If you're in grade 12 can you tell me if you had completed your midterm by the time you started applying to unis?
And how were you graded for your predicted scores.
Basically if you have already applied i have lots to ask because as indians our whole grading system is different :smile:
Original post by momo66
Im not aiming for oxbridge, Applying for medicine so going to wait till i take my UCAT before i choose.
So are you applying this year too? In the sense are you currently in grade 11 or 12?
If you're in grade 12 can you tell me if you had completed your midterm by the time you started applying to unis?
Basically if you have already applied i have lots to ask because as indians our whole grading system is different :smile:

Hey, I think then you should do pretty fine then, I'm not so sure of the case with medicine though. I am a grade 12 student. You do not need mid term scores while applying anyhow. You only need grade 10, 11 and 12 predicted. My predicted scores were given by my teachers, while this could be different for you school.
Original post by momo66

check this out, it could be helpful.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3121461

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending