The Student Room Group

CBSE for UK universities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by JoJo_Beast
Hey, I think then you should do pretty fine then, I'm not so sure of the case with medicine though. I am a grade 12 student. You do not need mid term scores while applying anyhow. You only need grade 10, 11 and 12 predicted. My predicted scores were given by my teachers, while this could be different for you school.

As per what i know i wont need grade 11 scores just grade 12 predicted scores and tenth. Why i asked if you have finished your midterm is to understand based on what my school will give the predicted scores. Because if 12th midterm is done by then they will take that into consideration.
Reply 21

This is really helpful. Thanks alot!
Reply 22
Hey, I think then you should do pretty fine then, I'm not so sure of the case with medicine though. I am a grade 12 student. You do not need mid term scores while applying anyhow. You only need grade 10, 11 and 12 predicted. My predicted scores were given by my teachers, while this could be different for you school.

Do you by any chance have an idea how our grading system is converted into UK's.
If you dont mind, which unis did you apply to and have you gotten any response yet?
Original post by momo66
Do you by any chance have an idea how our grading system is converted into UK's.
If you dont mind, which unis did you apply to and have you gotten any response yet?

Original post by momo66
As per what i know i wont need grade 11 scores just grade 12 predicted scores and tenth. Why i asked if you have finished your midterm is to understand based on what my school will give the predicted scores. Because if 12th midterm is done by then they will take that into consideration.

As for me predicted scores were given on basis of the teachers, they can take anything into account, your grade 10 performance, 11th performance or even your responses in class, its all up to the teachers. I am not sure if its the same for your school, it could vary, I have heard many schools just give mid term scores are the predicted grades. You will need to check with your school.

Grading system is different for each university, for instance some of the university I applied to had minimum requirement for my course as A*AA, but one of them asked 90%, one of them asked for 85% one of them asked for 95%+. You will need to check on the website or mail each university about their requirements for CBSE.

Well, to be frank, I did get an offer from almost all the Universities I applied to, except Oxbridge, so I think I did pretty well. But meeting the conditions for my firm choice is still a herculean task. I am afraid I would not like to disclose any information as such on this page, maybe if you can send me a personal message I would reply to it!
Original post by momo66
Im not aiming for oxbridge, Applying for medicine so going to wait till i take my UCAT before i choose.
But mostly unis like KCL, Birmingham, Glasgow etc.
So are you applying this year too? In the sense are you currently in grade 11 or 12?
If you're in grade 12 can you tell me if you had completed your midterm by the time you started applying to unis?
And how were you graded for your predicted scores.
Basically if you have already applied i have lots to ask because as indians our whole grading system is different :smile:

Hey, I'm in grade 12 and I was thinking of applying for medicine before.
Some of my friends have applied for medicine so I can help, to apply for medicine you need to give the UCAT, you would need a score of 2800+ for a good chance to enter a uni.
Also, medicine is really hard for international students as universities typically reserve a few seats for internationals, could be 3,5,10,20,etc but they are usually pretty less. So, you can't aim for 'higher-ranked' unis, both of my friends who applied for medicines get 95%+ overall and their top choice is Birmingham I believe, you usually have to give BMAT for higher ranked universities like Oxbrige,UCL,etc.

You need to get some work experience and good scores, your predicted depends on your teachers, they could calculate it from your 10th,11th and 12th mid terms, your improvement over the years, etc.

typically AAA=90%(CBSE) for higher ranked universities and 85% for the others, but you'll have to score a lot higher than this as most of the applicants will be high-scorers.Moreover, you have to apply to 5 universities, 4 will be for medicine while the 5th one will be your backup(for which you'll choose a BSc programme)

You're gonna have to send your application by 15th October, so make sure you SOP is perfect and is ready before your mid term exams(ideally) after that you're gonna have to give interviews, make sure to read up on FAQs and try to find some former applicants in TSR for help.
Hope this helps!
feel free to pm me :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Clace4life
Some of my friends have applied for medicine so I can help, to apply for medicine you need to give the UCAT, you would need a score of 2800+ for a good chance to enter a uni.
Also, medicine is really hard for international students as universities typically reserve a few seats for internationals, could be 3,5,10,20,etc but they are usually pretty less. So, you can't aim for 'higher-ranked' unis, both of my friends who applied for medicines get 95%+ overall and their top choice is Birmingham I believe, you usually have to give BMAT for higher ranked universities like Oxbrige,UCL,etc.

You need to get some work experience and good scores, your predicted depends on your teachers, they could calculate it from your 10th,11th and 12th mid terms, your improvement over the years, etc.

typically AAA=90%(CBSE) for higher ranked universities and 85% for the others, but you'll have to score a lot higher than this as most of the applicants will be high-scorers.Moreover, you have to apply to 5 universities, 4 will be for medicine while the 5th one will be your backup(for which you'll choose a BSc programme)

You're gonna have to send your application by 15th October, so make sure you SOP is perfect and is ready before your mid term exams(ideally) after that you're gonna have to give interviews, make sure to read up on FAQs and try to find some former applicants in TSR for help.
Hope this helps!

Most of this i knew but the A level conversion to CBSE was very helpful. It will be great if you could give me their exact scores and which unis they applied to and how many they heard from.
I am aiming for only the UCAT unis not BMAT. And maybe if you could find out how preparing and taking the UCAT was for them.
I know im asking alot its just that im not able to catch hold of that many indians to extract all this info:smile:
Also had you finished your grade 12 midterms by the time you had to apply?
Original post by momo66
Most of this i knew but the A level conversion to CBSE was very helpful. It will be great if you could give me their exact scores and which unis they applied to and how many they heard from.
I am aiming for only the UCAT unis not BMAT. And maybe if you could find out how preparing and taking the UCAT was for them.
I know im asking alot its just that im not able to catch hold of that many indians to extract all this info:smile:

Yes, I was done with my midterms by the time I had to apply(But I only had to give my predicted, Just make sure, your school counsellor knows that you're applying for medicine so that she gives you your predicted score before the 15th of October.
So, one of them got a 96% predicted while the other got 96.4% predicted(or something around that). I don't know their exact list but, they applied to Hull and Birmingham. one of them applied to two universities in Scotland, I'll ask them about their list and get back to you. I'm pretty sure one of them got rejected from Hull, her UCAT score was around 2700.
Original post by momo66

Also, I'm pretty sure they took some classes for UCAT.
Reply 28
Yes, I was done with my midterms by the time I had to apply(But I only had to give my predicted, Just make sure, your school counsellor knows that you're applying for medicine so that she gives you your predicted score before the 15th of October.
So, one of them got a 96% predicted while the other got 96.4% predicted(or something around that). I don't know their exact list but, they applied to Hull and Birmingham. one of them applied to two universities in Scotland, I'll ask them about their list and get back to you. I'm pretty sure one of them got rejected from Hull, her UCAT score was around 2700.

So im assuming UCAT score has to be really high because her other scores ae pretty good
Reply 29
Also, I'm pretty sure they took some classes for UCAT.

Yeah but how long did they prepare for because apparently UCAT is a test you can easily overprepare for. I felt like atleast 4 - 5 months is required
Reply 30
Original post by momo66
Yeah but how long did they prepare for because apparently UCAT is a test you can easily overprepare for. I felt like atleast 4 - 5 months is required

Many told me this is way too much and just a month is more than enough
Original post by momo66
Many told me this is way too much and just a month is more than enough

one of my friends spent a month while the other took classes once a week for about 4 months (maybe 5). A month is fine if you plan to go all out during those 30 days.
Reply 32
one of my friends spent a month while the other took classes once a week for about 4 months (maybe 5). A month is fine if you plan to go all out during those 30 days.

Thats what i cant afford to go all out in that month. Anyway thanks though
Reply 33

Were you able to find out more from them?

Hope this helps!

Yes this is this perfectly right. Medicine is quiet competitive! But as an engineering applicant, the whole thing was different.....and by the way arent there interviews? I had some for engineering
Original post by soggyomelette
I don't know if this will be of help to you but my personal experience as a CBSE student might prove useful. I applied to Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Manchester, and KCL to study Physics using my CBSE predicted grades and additional APs I took. So far, I have received conditional offers from Manchester and KCL that ask for either CBSE 90%/85% or 5s in my remaining APs whereas my UCL conditional offer asks for only APs. I haven't received anything from Imperial yet for Physics but neither has anyone here on TSR so can't really say anything about Imperial yet. Lastly, I did finish my interviews with Oxford a couple of weeks back but their shortlisting process depends a lot more on their admission tests so I don't think my CBSE grades really mattered very much.
In case you change your mind and continue with CBSE, I think writing APs alongside wouldn't be too bad of a choice.

Hey. Did you get into Oxford and Imperial?
Original post by Anonymous(
Hey. Did you get into Oxford and Imperial?

Yes, I did!
Yes, I did!

Wow! Congratulations! It’s my dream to study Physics at Oxford/Imperial. What are your conditional offers? I am assuming you chose Oxford as your firm. If you don’t mind, can I ask you some questions about the applications process? Thanks.
Reply 38
Yes, I did!

Hey would you be able to tell me if they took your tenth board marks into consideration? Because we dont exactly have GCSEs
Original post by Anonymous(
Wow! Congratulations! It’s my dream to study Physics at Oxford/Imperial. What are your conditional offers? I am assuming you chose Oxford as your firm. If you don’t mind, can I ask you some questions about the applications process? Thanks.

Thank you! Yes, I did firm Oxford. My conditional offer for Oxford is A1 in 3 subjects and A2 in 2 subjects for CBSE (or equivalently, 90% in 3, and 80% in 2) or 5 in any 3 relevant APs. I think the conditions are so lenient because their admissions process is already so rigorous that the grades at this point are merely a formality of sorts. The conditions for Imperial are much stricter, even more so because they did not have interviews this year. I believe it is 95 in Physics and Maths, 93 in Chemistry and Computer Science, and 90 in English. Sure, feel free to message me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending