The Student Room Group

CBSE for UK universities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jassowal
Thank you for your help. The only reason for doing APs is to have a backup in case CBSE exams do not happen/or are messed up etc. So, if I understand you correctly, there is a possibility that Oxford gives me conditions based on 3 APs only and no CBSE. Is my understanding correct? I want an OR between CBSE and AP and not an AND between them. Thanks

Oxford will give you an offer based on 3 AP’s only if you have a SAT/ACT score of 1470+/32+ already(I think, that’s what the website says). But I don’t think you’ll get an offer based only on AP grades. For example, @soggyomelette got an offer for either 90% in CBSE OR 5’s in 3 relevant AP’s. So, your offer will not include only AP’s, although if you miss the CBSE offer and achieve the AP grades, you’ll still get a place. Anyways, even if CBSE exams get cancelled, you’ll still get a set of grades and the Oxford offers are generally quite low(by Oxbridge standards) for physics (because of their rigorous admissions process) and since your son is a very good student, he’ll probably get the grades even if there is some random grading system. Hope this helps.
Original post by Anonymous(
Oxford will give you an offer based on 3 AP’Ts only if you have a SAT/ACT score of 1470+/32+ already(I think, that’s what the website says). But I don’t think you’ll get an offer based only on AP grades. For example, @soggyomelette got an offer for either 90% in CBSE OR 5’s in 3 relevant AP’s. So, your offer will not include only AP’s, although if you miss the CBSE offer and achieve the AP grades, you’ll still get a place. Anyways, even if CBSE exams get cancelled, you’ll still get a set of grades and the Oxford offers are generally quite low(by Oxbridge standards) for physics (because of their rigorous admissions process) and since your son is a very good student, he’ll probably get the grades even if there is some random grading system. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the help. This is very useful.
Hi,

Do Oxford/Imperial require Toefl/IELTS from Indian students with CBSE? Or is class 12 CBSE english considered ok for English requirements? When does one require to take the TOEFL/IELTS? when applying or after receiving the offer? Thank you.
Thank you for the help. This is very useful.

No problem. You have helped me a lot as well.

Hi,

Do Oxford/Imperial require Toefl/IELTS from Indian students with CBSE? Or is class 12 CBSE english considered ok for English requirements? When does one require to take the TOEFL/IELTS? when applying or after receiving the offer? Thank you.

So, there is no definite answer to this. Most of the times a TOEFL/IELTS score is required, but at times they make an exception. If your son has been taught in English throughout all their school years, then they can make an exception. After they interview you, they will get an idea of your level of English and whether it is suitable. For example, one student who got into law from India this year did not have to give IELTS/TOEFL because he was always taught in English in school and the tutors thought that his level of English was suitable. However, CBSE English alone isn't considered equivalent to IB/A level English so most have to give IELTS. For example, since Imperial isn't conducting interviews this year, they will almost certainly tell you take IELTS if you get an offer, because they don't know you personally. Oxford does make exceptions quite often, but most international applicants have to take IELTS/TOEFL. These tests can be take before/after you apply, it doesn't really matter. If you take it before applying, you will definitely have to get a score higher/equal to the one mentioned on their website, otherwise they will doubt your English ability. (this shouldn't reduce your chances though since you're applying for physics, not English). If you haven't taken it before applying, then an IELTS/TOEFL score will be part of your offer(if oxford decide to do so). I don't know what happens if you miss the IELTS offer. Taking the test before applying does not make your application more competitive by any means. Anyways, if your son is even half decent at English, he will get the score required quite easily. These tests are very easy and you shouldn't worry about them at all, and your son's English is probably very good anyway. Also, since you are doing AP's and you have given SAT, it's very likely that oxford won't bother with the English language requirement provided that your SAT score meets their minimum.
Original post by Anonymous(
No problem. You have helped me a lot as well.

So, there is no definite answer to this. Most of the times a TOEFL/IELTS score is required, but at times they make an exception. If your son has been taught in English throughout all their school years, then they can make an exception. After they interview you, they will get an idea of your level of English and whether it is suitable. For example, one student who got into law from India this year did not have to give IELTS/TOEFL because he was always taught in English in school and the tutors thought that his level of English was suitable. However, CBSE English alone isn't considered equivalent to IB/A level English so most have to give IELTS. For example, since Imperial isn't conducting interviews this year, they will almost certainly tell you take IELTS if you get an offer, because they don't know you personally. Oxford does make exceptions quite often, but most international applicants have to take IELTS/TOEFL. These tests can be take before/after you apply, it doesn't really matter. If you take it before applying, you will definitely have to get a score higher/equal to the one mentioned on their website, otherwise they will doubt your English ability. (this shouldn't reduce your chances though since you're applying for physics, not English). If you haven't taken it before applying, then an IELTS/TOEFL score will be part of your offer(if oxford decide to do so). I don't know what happens if you miss the IELTS offer. Taking the test before applying does not make your application more competitive by any means. Anyways, if your son is even half decent at English, he will get the score required quite easily. These tests are very easy and you shouldn't worry about them at all, and your son's English is probably very good anyway. Also, since you are doing AP's and you have given SAT, it's very likely that oxford won't bother with the English language requirement provided that your SAT score meets their minimum.

Thank you very much for your help and this information. This is indeed very useful.
I have a question regarding UCAS application:

The teacher who we plan to get the recommendation from has an e-mail address from gmail. The school does not give "school" e-mails to teachers. Is that going to be a problem?
I have a question regarding UCAS application:

The teacher who we plan to get the recommendation from has an e-mail address from gmail. The school does not give "school" e-mails to teachers. Is that going to be a problem?

not sure, mostly not. Check with the university.
friends,

I have a question regarding mentioning AP in UCAS application. where does one mention that he/she plans to take some AP tests? My son is a CBSE student and he will fill his CBSE qualifications. if we puts his AP tests in the education section then the teacher will be asked to provide predicted marks for AP also. So, where should we mention that he wants to take some AP tests?
Hi everyone, I'm an international student from india applying to colleges for 2022. I'm doing my undergrad rn and I'll be done by may next year but I'll still be applying for the 3 year LLB, I have a question for the Indian applicants, what colleges can I apply to realistically with 89.5%(overall) in my CBSE. I'll be doing my LNAT next month. I'm working with an overseas admissions councillor but im still freaking out about where I could possibly get in.
friends,

I have a question regarding mentioning AP in UCAS application. where does one mention that he/she plans to take some AP tests? My son is a CBSE student and he will fill his CBSE qualifications. if we puts his AP tests in the education section then the teacher will be asked to provide predicted marks for AP also. So, where should we mention that he wants to take some AP tests?

Hi @jassowal. Did your son get an Oxford offer? (If you’re comfortable sharing)
Hi I study in india class 10th in cbse but my age is 17.I came in UK last week so what i want to do next for my education

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending