Super-curricular activities to get on a good History degree?

Watch
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi, I was thinking about applying for St Andrews or Cambridge University to study History and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of things that I can do to improve my application, like extra-curricular activities. Something reasonable and easy to achieve along with A-Levels, like courses online or essay competitions. Thank you!
username5518136
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
With essay competitions, NCH ( national college of humanities) I think is doing a history essay competition and Immerse have one but deadline in two weeks. Lots of colleges at Oxford or Cambridge do essay competitions e.g Trinity and Newnham (but the latter is only for women) these open near the summer I think but just search cambridge/oxfird essay competition and they should come up. Future Learn is good for MOOCs which are online courses- they are all free and many top unis run history ones as well. Other things- maybe podcasts like In Our Time, I've seen some history ones on the BBC sounds app- all free again. Also look up online lectures, I know Gresham college (I think that is what it is called) do some.

But mainly find a few key areas of history that you are very interested in which you can write about in your personal statement- then find books or articles online about them. Hope this helps!
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eve_12)
With essay competitions, NCH ( national college of humanities) I think is doing a history essay competition and Immerse have one but deadline in two weeks. Lots of colleges at Oxford or Cambridge do essay competitions e.g Trinity and Newnham (but the latter is only for women) these open near the summer I think but just search cambridge/oxfird essay competition and they should come up. Future Learn is good for MOOCs which are online courses- they are all free and many top unis run history ones as well. Other things- maybe podcasts like In Our Time, I've seen some history ones on the BBC sounds app- all free again. Also look up online lectures, I know Gresham college (I think that is what it is called) do some.

But mainly find a few key areas of history that you are very interested in which you can write about in your personal statement- then find books or articles online about them. Hope this helps!
Thank you so much! This is really helpful and I'll go have a look now.
username5518136
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I found this as well- https://www.libraeducation.co.uk/history-essay-prizes
Might be helpful!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
History knowledge also matters here
hiiiiiiiiiiii2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Extra reading and research, EPQ, listening to podcasts, going to lectures (most will be online now), essay competitions there’s loads you can do!
GayPotato
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Podcasts, lectures, documentaries, BBC, and/or Ted talks.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Being part of the debating team at school would be perfect. That said, loads of my friends at school got in for History at St Andrews and Edinburgh without any super-curriculars. I imagine you might need some for Oxbridge, however. You definitely don't need to go overboard. Even podcasts and an EPQ or something would be more than enough. My close friend who did Physics at Oxford partook in the Olympiad challenge (or whatever it's called). All he did was participate; he didn't even get a specific medal(?). That was his only super-curricular as well.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
Being part of the debating team at school would be perfect. That said, loads of my friends at school got in for History at St Andrews and Edinburgh without any super-curriculars. I imagine you might need some for Oxbridge, however. You definitely don't need to go overboard. Even podcasts and an EPQ or something would be more than enough. My close friend who did Physics at Oxford partook in the Olympiad challenge (or whatever it's called). All he did was participate; he didn't even get a specific medal(?). That was his only super-curricular as well.
Oh really? That makes me feel a lot better! Thank you everyone for helping me out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (93)
28.27%
No (236)
71.73%

Watched Threads