advice on my a levels should i drop maths for econ? pls help

Watch
Uplearnisitworth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
im studying bio chem and maths since i want to be a doctor

im self teaching im a private candidate - im thinking of dropping maths for econ and using uplearn for econ

i can spend 4hrs for bio and 4hrs for chemistry but i dont want to burn out so i can do like 2 or 2.5 hrs for econ - maths is just really annoying its a difficult subject

unlike biology where i just memorise the content and in the exam questions im getting top marks

uplearn is the best for econ if you look around and its free for me so thats why i want to do econ

med schools dont care as long as i do bio and chem (some like camebridge do but idc abt them)

so it makes sense to do bio and chem get A*s in them and an A in economics is much easier to get than an A in maths 100% facts

and whats the easiest exam board for econ?
advice? thanks
hootdoot04
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Do you like economics more than maths?
username4878650
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
i feel like economics is nowhere near as useful as maths, but if you think you'd be more interested and do better in economics, maybe swap. otherwise, try and find a way to revise maths that works for you
Uplearnisitworth
Rep:
?
ok guys i concluded im gonna keep maths

i frickin love maths i just was in a bad state of mind

im gonna get A*
STudentT1234212
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Uplearnisitworth)
ok guys i concluded im gonna keep maths

i frickin love maths i just was in a bad state of mind

im gonna get A*
yes lad thats the mindset, also Uplearn has a maths course, why don't you use that?
Uplearnisitworth
Rep:
?
(Original post by STudentT1234212)
yes lad thats the mindset, also Uplearn has a maths course, why don't you use that?
i did part of it - i read that it doesnt have questions on proof and connected rates of change which are key exam topics

also the exam questions are a bit too easy and some have errors so when i got it right they said i was wrong

however - you are right i should try it out a bit more tbh but for maths they are a little dodgy

TL maths videos are really good and sometimes he shows a quicker method to do things

thanks for being supportive
Uplearnisitworth
Rep:
?
you know what i will try it out for a little bit more but honestly i prefer TL maths for videos

there is also AI tutor which has questions on everything
there is a really critical review on uplearn maths on trustpilot it talks abt the negative aspects

there are a load of free exam questions and videos tbh
etienne26
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Did Uplearn Maths but wouldn't recommend it very long winded to complete and questions are nothing like the exam, very good for Econ though
Uplearnisitworth
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by etienne26)
Did Uplearn Maths but wouldn't recommend it very long winded to complete and questions are nothing like the exam, very good for Econ though
yeah its crap im done using it for good questions are too easy videos are too long questions keep repeating
etienne26
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Uplearnisitworth)
yeah its crap im done using it for good questions are too easy videos are too long questions keep repeating
Did you buy it or free trial? Hopefully you didn't buy it
STudentT1234212
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
ure everywhere saying uplearn maths is wack, i tried it a bit its decent why do you hate it so much lol
Uplearnisitworth
Rep:
?
ure everywhere saying uplearn maths is wack, i tried it a bit its decent why do you hate it so much lol
they miss topics and the questions are too easy

they miss connected rates of change lol and have 0 questions for proof
Uplearnisitworth
Rep:
?
got it for free
etienne26
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It is for their Maths course otherwise I wouldn't rant on TSR and basically I don't want anyone to go through what I went through. I spent 350 quid, many many hours on it (study periods, lunchtimes, evenings), sacrificing social life and my grades never improved and ultimately cost me getting into uni.

I kept on going for the false hope of completing the course and getting the A*/A guarantee and was under pressure to repay my parents' investment on me and tried to not give up. The course takes soo long to complete (I still couldn't complete it lol despite months) and doesn't take into account your ability level and assumes you are at the lowest grade standard and the worst thing is you can't skip the videos.The videos are basic, long-winded and go through many unnecessary things. In my mock exam I was like wtf and found the questions so much difficult than what I did on Uplearn. If you need help use Youtube Videos, ask your maths teacher/classmates or private tutoring if you can afford it. These are better options imo. Also found that doing exam questions are way more useful.

This is for their Maths course only btw, it is very good for Economics. I have nothing against their company and am sure they have good intentions in helping students succeed and not scamming people and they have obviously invested a lot of time and effort. It hasn't worked for their Maths course though and there are far better options.
STudentT1234212
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It is for their Maths course otherwise I wouldn't rant on TSR and basically I don't want anyone to go through what I went through. I spent 350 quid, many many hours on it (study periods, lunchtimes, evenings), sacrificing social life and my grades never improved and ultimately cost me getting into uni.

I kept on going for the false hope of completing the course and getting the A*/A guarantee and was under pressure to repay my parents' investment on me and tried to not give up. The course takes soo long to complete (I still couldn't complete it lol despite months) and doesn't take into account your ability level and assumes you are at the lowest grade standard and the worst thing is you can't skip the videos.The videos are basic, long-winded and go through many unnecessary things. In my mock exam I was like wtf and found the questions so much difficult than what I did on Uplearn. If you need help use Youtube Videos, ask your maths teacher/classmates or private tutoring if you can afford it. These are better options imo. Also found that doing exam questions are way more useful.

This is for their Maths course only btw, it is very good for Economics. I have nothing against their company and am sure they have good intentions in helping students succeed and not scamming people and they have obviously invested a lot of time and effort. It hasn't worked for their Maths course though and there are far better options.
Really appreciate you telling me this, I think I'm gonna ditch Uplearn tbh, I defo see where you're coming from.
Ronaldinhoe
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Hi, Did you purely rely on Uplearn for Economics and their method of rewatching videos etc or did you make notes/flashcards while watching their videos. Also if you don't mind me asking, did you end up getting an A after completing the course. Thanks
etienne26
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Ronaldinhoe)
Hi, Did you purely rely on Uplearn for Economics and their method of rewatching videos etc or did you make notes/flashcards while watching their videos. Also if you don't mind me asking, did you end up getting an A after completing the course. Thanks
Hi there, yes I purely relied on Uplearn for Economics, no textbooks or revision guides. I found it much more engaging than normal revision (of writing notes/flashcards which can be time consuming and can get dull). I like how they have bars for each topic and you need to make them all green for you to master the topic, otherwise it makes you go over the questions you struggle with. Moreover, their support system is really good if you have any doubts, it's like having a private tutor.

I didn't make notes/flashcards as such but I created a glossary with all the key terms I found when watching Econ videos and would write their definition on a Word document. I would then go over and revise these terms. I didn't write the exams due to Covid but yes I got an A in the end. Would deffo recommend if you need help with Econ. Hope this helps.
Ronaldinhoe
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi there, yes I purely relied on Uplearn for Economics, no textbooks or revision guides. I found it much more engaging than normal revision (of writing notes/flashcards which can be time consuming and can get dull). I like how they have bars for each topic and you need to make them all green for you to master the topic, otherwise it makes you go over the questions you struggle with. Moreover, their support system is really good if you have any doubts, it's like having a private tutor.

I didn't make notes/flashcards as such but I created a glossary with all the key terms I found when watching Econ videos and would write their definition on a Word document. I would then go over and revise these terms. I didn't write the exams due to Covid but yes I got an A in the end. Would deffo recommend if you need help with Econ. Hope this helps.
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (11)
12.79%
I need help researching courses (7)
8.14%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.81%
I need help with my personal statement (35)
40.7%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (22)
25.58%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.33%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.65%

Watched Threads