Turn on thread page Beta

Got my SAT results. Where now? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, got my SAT results a while back and am planning to apply to the US for college. I want to do a mathematics degree. Now I am TOTALLY new to the US application and course procedures. For every college's case, is it major+minor? For instance, could I do a Math major and statistics/economics minor?

My results are shown in the spoiler below. Teachers recommend that I shouldn't bother retaking my SATs. To be honest I'm very happy with them, just a little disappointed with the writing.

Which colleges should I be looking at? Which are the best for mathematics?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    You got excellent scores. Don't retake the SATs.

For US schools, you do not need to pick a major before applying. You just apply for the university, and then decide once you are a student there.

For math, the best schools according to US News are:
    1 - Princeton
    2 - Harvard
    2 - MIT
    2 - Stanford
    2 - Berkeley
    3 - Chicago
    4 - Caltech
    4 - Yale
    5 - Columbia
    5 - NYU
    5 - Michigan

For economics:
    1 - Chicago
    1 - MIT
    2 - Harvard
    2 - Princeton
    2 - Stanford
    2 - Berkeley
    3 - Yale
    4 - Northwestern
    5 - Penn

ReputationRep:
    dont you need your SAT subject tests?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epik High)
    Hey guys, got my SAT results a while back and am planning to apply to the US for college. I want to do a mathematics degree. Now I am TOTALLY new to the US application and course procedures. For every college's case, is it major+minor? For instance, could I do a Math major and statistics/economics minor?

My results are shown in the spoiler below. Teachers recommend that I shouldn't bother retaking my SATs. To be honest I'm very happy with them, just a little disappointed with the writing.

Thanks in advance.
    Hey!

I am sorta planning to study in America as well. Did you go to USA to take ur SATS Exam? And are there any websites to check on how to study in US? thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harryj0)
    dont you need your SAT subject tests?
    Depends on the school.

http://test-prep.ivywest.com/sat-sub...est-score.aspx

http://www.compassprep.com/admissions_req_subjects.aspx

I always like looking at Putnam results when considering math programs. It's not a completely accurate indicator, but it does give you a good idea of where the best programs are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William...al_performance

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance.
    Lovely SAT scores you have there *considers stealing* Don't worry about the Writing, it's good, and it was only introduced recently - I've been to a few university talks and a significant amount of them say "We're really more concerned about Reading and Maths". Either way, 740 is very very respectable.

You can pretty much look everywhere with those scores esp. you match up your performance in SAT IIs (which you probably will with those ASes), although bear in mind that US schools are also interested in extracurriculars to a far greater extent than UK schools.

It is possible to do a major + minor, or double major, or major + 2 minors, or various combinations, depending on the school. You may have to take some distribution requirements (classes in other fields) depending on the university you choose. The combination you suggested is plausible.

(Original post by maxell)
    Did you go to USA to take ur SATS Exam?
    There are international test centres, check on CollegeBoard.com.

ReputationRep:
    NB: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think DrAtomic has posted the rankings for graduate departments, which is going to be quite different from undergrad. Harvard, for example, is an excellent university, but I have read that it's less than ideal for undergrad (though, at the end of the day, it's still Harvard and undergrads get a lot of opportunities). Meanwhile, a school like Brown does not have (m)any 'great' graduate programs, but its graduate school is relatively small and its focus is on undergrads. You also have the opportunity to study at an LAC, where you'll have smaller classes and more personal interaction with professors.

With those SAT scores and your high predicted grades, you could get into any school in the U.S. (well, maybe not Juilliard, but!).

If you're into Math, I recommend checking out Harvard, Princeton, MIT, UC Berkeley, UChicago, Michigan-Ann Arbor (by no means a complete list!) and LACs like Williams, Harvey Mudd, Oberlin, Pomona, Reed. Lots of choice. :P

ReputationRep:
    Yes, sorry, that is what I was referring to (grad rankings). Undergraduate departmental rankings are not published.

ReputationRep:
    erm might i ask do u hav nay tips on getting such good scores!! lol or are u just naturally bright!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.